KMA24 w/ Intercom Replacement

wheaties

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
wheaties
I have a PS Engineering (PM3000) intercom wired to my KMA24. I hate that I can only listen or transmit on either COM 1 or COM 2 in my headset. If I want to hear both, one has to be by speaker. If I bought a PMA7000- unit and had someone properly credentialed slide it in, e.g. leaving the PM3000) would that solve that issue or is the issue due to the external intercom?

Last edited:
You should be able to listen to both coms at the same time. You cannot transmit on both coms at the same time.

The PMA7000 units are compatible with the KMA24. You need to replace the tray, but the radio connections are the same connector as the KMA24. However, the PMA7000 has a built-in intercom, so that would need to be wired to the 7000 and removed from you current intercom. I don't know if the PMA7000 will "slide in" and still use an external intercom. I have see cases where there is a mating connector coming from the PMA7000 to the connector on the PMA3000 or equivalent so jacks don't need to be run new. I talked to PS Engineering about a project like this last week, and he discouraged it. However, the labor would be a significant savings if you did it this way. That was one of the purposes of the PMA7000 originally, I believe.

@Jesse Saint , thanks for that.

Guess if I'm going to have to have something done right, might as well spring for the 8000. Hopefully I can coast on this KMA24 for a little longer before it completely fails.

I have a PS Engineering (PM3000) intercom wired to my KMA24. I hate that I can only listen or transmit on either COM 1 or COM 2 in my headset. If I want to hear both, one has to be by speaker. If I bought a PMA7000- unit and had someone properly credentialed slide it in, e.g. leaving the PM3000) would that solve that issue or is the issue due to the external intercom?
There's something wrong with your KMA24 then. You can push in as many buttons on the phones row as you like. That being said, the PMA7000 is a far superior unit. Why would you want to keep the PM3000?

I don't want to keep the PM3000. I just want a quick fix. There's no quick on this one, I'm afraid

Yeah, something’s not right. KMA24: with Mic selector knob on Com 1, if you push Phone Com 2 you should be able to monitor Com 2. And Mic Com 2, with Phone Com 1, should be able to monitor Com 1.

Related question for the audience - KMA24 with FlightCom 403mc - is the PMA 6000B a slide in, or do connectors need to be swapped onto a new tray? And how much work is it to dump the FlightCom in favor of the PMA’s intercom? I’m looking to free up center stack space for an engine monitor and saw a used PMA6000B for $700.

Yep, I had a KMA24 and a PS1000 (this was 20 years ago). This was before PS had their audio panel quite done (they were having issues with the marker beacons). I may still switch.

Yep, I had a KMA24 and a PS1000 (this was 20 years ago). This was before PS had their audio panel quite done (they were having issues with the marker beacons). I may still switch.
What a memory you have flyingron! We did indeed have problems with our markers, but that was back in late 1995 and early 1996. Completely solved since then with well over 150,000 flying today. Actually, the PM1000 was 32 years ago, my how time flies.

Yes, I put the PS1000 and the KMA24 in my plane in 1995. It was longer ago than I remembered!

What a memory you have flyingron! We did indeed have problems with our markers, but that was back in late 1995 and early 1996. Completely solved since then with well over 150,000 flying today. Actually, the PM1000 was 32 years ago, my how time flies.
I’ve still got a pm1000 in my warrior and it still sounds as good to day as it did new. Don’t fix what ain’t broke!

I would suggest that you go with one of the 8000 series PSE models instead of the 7000 series. PSE seems to do all of their innovations on the 8000 series rather than the 7000 series.

Sometimes it's worth bitting the bullet and upgrading to a PS-450B. Unbelievable sound quality in stereo, full multi unit bluetooth connectivity, Swiss army knife of listening arrangements.

Cristal clear intercom and volume levels adjustable per pilot /co-pilot.

My plane originally came with a KMA-24 and Telex intercom. Holly molly what a difference in sound quality.

Back