KMA24 Upgrade Path

Rob58

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Rob
Are there any newer audio panels that are slide-in compatible with the older KMA24 unit?

What if I have a couple KMA24H audio panels instead of just one? Any ideas there?

What if I have a couple KMA24H audio panels instead of just one? Any ideas there?
Our PAC24 is a direct slide in replacement for the KMA24H series 71 and you can install two of our PAC24 and eliminate strange states of operation of dual KMA24H because the PAC24 talk with each other over a digital bus.

For my KMA 24Hs I just have 4 places. It’s an odd FBI surveillance setup where the right seater has his own panel. The back seater can also plug into the panel via a cannon plug in his arm rest and pipe things through COM4/COM5 and also record everything through the recorder jack. Interesting setup that allowed them to take other govt agencies up and plug in their own com and surveillance systems. Not terribly useful for me though.

I’m starting to think tearing it all out and starting over with one panel may be the cheaper/smarter option.

I replaced my KMA24 with a Garmin and regretted it. Garmin's service attitude is reprehensible towards such things. I wish I'd gone with the PS engineering, but they were having problems right at the time I was installing.

I replaced my KMA24 with a Garmin and regretted it. Garmin's service attitude is reprehensible towards such things. I wish I'd gone with the PS engineering, but they were having problems right at the time I was installing.
Hi Flyingron!
You can easily upgrade your GMA340 to our PMA450B by going to https://avionicssource.com/special-offers/

Sorry, there were problems at the time of your upgrade, I can assure you that there will be no problems and all you need is a 3/32" Allen Wrench and mechanic for a simple log book entry.

Ok I am a little confused. I have a KMA 24 audio panel and a NAT AA80 4 place intercom system. Are you saying the PMA 7000 will be a direct replacement for the KMA 24, i.e., slide out the KMA 24 and slide in the PMA 7000 and log book entry? My confusion starts with the phrase “pin compatible” that I read on the PS Engineering website. That suggests to me there is some wiring involved. And if it’s a true “slide out, slide in”, can I still run my intercom until I want to spend the $$ to have the intercom re-wired into the PMA 7000?

Ok I am a little confused. I have a KMA 24 audio panel and a NAT AA80 4 place intercom system. Are you saying the PMA 7000 will be a direct replacement for the KMA 24, i.e., slide out the KMA 24 and slide in the PMA 7000 and log book entry? My confusion starts with the phrase “pin compatible” that I read on the PS Engineering website. That suggests to me there is some wiring involved. And if it’s a true “slide out, slide in”, can I still run my intercom until I want to spend the $$ to have the intercom re-wired into the PMA 7000?

Here are the steps it takes to replace a KMA24 with a PMA7000B:

1) remove KMA24 from tray
2) remove the connector from KMA24 tray
3) remove tray
4) install PMA7000B tray
5) install the connector in bottom slot of PMA7000B tray
6) install PMA7000B into tray

As far as the audio panel installation is concerned, its done. GO FLY

BUT.........

You will not have any intercom functions until that portion of the install is completed.

That's why there is second connector. This connector must be wired by your avionics shop that will provide all of the intercom functions, telephone interface, and music inputs.

Hope this helps.

It does. Thanks for the clarification- appreciate it.

I had good luck with the PMA 7000 when I upgraded my twin ,years ago.

Back