KLVK Flight options

vkhosid

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
94V
Good evening ladies and gents!

I have a question for you all. A friend and I are going on a flight tomorrow originating from KLVK. The plan was to head over to KMRY for lunch then head back home. The more and more I look at the weather, the more its starting to look like Monterrey might not be feasible tomorrow. That being said, do you have any suggestions of destination for a short-ish flight for lunch and then back? Obviously weather is a factor....so is food quality...just sayin...

Thanks in advance!

Harris Ranch(3O8) admittedly longer. Merced's Hangar BBQ(KMCE) at about the same distance. Columbia(O22), but it's probably going to be busy and it's a bit of a walk.

I wouldn't recommend tomorrow for a long VFR-only trip. LVK has 3500 overcast all day. That's enough to make it over the mountains, but not with a lot of margin. Especially around Calaveras Reservoir or Sunol Pass.

Columbia SUCKS DONKEYS on holiday weekends. It will be fine next week. Monterey is better, but not by a lot. You can scud run all the way there if the forecast sticks, but I wouldn't recommend it.

I have a ferry flight planned tomorrow. I'm just going to get a clearance.

Was just at LVK yesterday putting wings on a new Cozy. Lunch at Bebe's.
We always love HAF when weather cooperates. STS has good food and smoking waitresses! Or Petaluma for breakfast.

KSTS was gonna be my suggestion as well if weather cooperates. The restaurant in the main terminal is one of my favs to fly folks to for a meal outside of HAF.

Often WVI will burn off much quicker than MRY and the restaurant we have on site is a great option as well.

SAC is not bad but nothing special worthy of a flight just to go there...just a cheesy diner IMO, but is an option if all else fails if you need to head inland.

Good evening ladies and gents!

I have a question for you all. A friend and I are going on a flight tomorrow originating from KLVK. The plan was to head over to KMRY for lunch then head back home. The more and more I look at the weather, the more its starting to look like Monterrey might not be feasible tomorrow. That being said, do you have any suggestions of destination for a short-ish flight for lunch and then back? Obviously weather is a factor....so is food quality...just sayin...

Thanks in advance!

Lodi

PIREP: looking out over the Monterey Bay from Santa Cruz the NW 2/3 of the bay is crystal clear and burning off rapidly...you should have no problem to get into MRY for lunch...you can for sure make into WVI as an option if the marine layer lingers longer. Have fun!

I wouldn't recommend tomorrow for a long VFR-only trip. LVK has 3500 overcast all day. That's enough to make it over the mountains, but not with a lot of margin. Especially around Calaveras Reservoir or Sunol Pass.

Columbia SUCKS DONKEYS on holiday weekends. It will be fine next week. Monterey is better, but not by a lot. You can scud run all the way there if the forecast sticks, but I wouldn't recommend it.

I have a ferry flight planned tomorrow. I'm just going to get a clearance.

Should be able to do most any of that with 3500' ain't going to be direct, but easily doable.

Should be able to do most any of that with 3500' ain't going to be direct, but easily doable.
Doable. Not easily. Overcast tends to descend in passes.

But in reality, the overcast cleared fairly nicely around 9:30-10:00 today.

My IFR flight was delayed enough by NorCal that it would have been faster to wait for the overcast to clear.

Guys, thanks for all the suggestions. I got to ink around 10, and sky was clear by that time already. We decided to head in the general direction of mry with 3o8 as an option if weather didn't cooperate. No need for an alternate, as mry was absolutely wonderful.

Back