KLSF - Ft. Benning Army Airfield?

CJones

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
uHaveNoIdea
KLSF - Lawson Army Airfield (Ft. Benning, Georgia)

Has anyone landed there GA? My bro-in-law will be graduating from Airborne there next week, and it would be really convenient for us to actually land on the air field on base. Anybody know how difficult it is to get a clearance to land there? My bil is a 2nd Lt right now, so he doesn't really have any 'pull' in the matter. Do I need to know 'someone' to get it done? If so, how 'big' do they need to be? I have connections to a few higher-up Navy officers, but no Army connections.

Chris:

It's been a long time since I landed there; I was in an Army helicopter when I did <g>.

Contact base ops and ask. Last I checked, they just didn't want civil AC in there. No facilities and they just weren't equipped to deal with them. Columbus isn't that far away. If you do get permission, ask about the insurance requirements. Most want proof of $1million insurance and an endorsement to your policy stating DOD facilities are covered. Get written permission and at some point they will give you a code you can give tower on your way in. I received oral permission once and was turned away in the air; so, have a back up. You can understand them not wanting the facility tied up by a civil aircraft; that facility is primarily there for other reasons.

Best,

Dave

Chris:

It's been a long time since I landed there; I was in an Army helicopter when I did <g>.

Contact base ops and ask. Last I checked, they just didn't want civil AC in there. No facilities and they just weren't equipped to deal with them. Columbus isn't that far away. If you do get permission, ask about the insurance requirements. Most want proof of $1million insurance and an endorsement to your policy stating DOD facilities are covered. Get written permission and at some point they will give you a code you can give tower on your way in. I received oral permission once and was turned away in the air; so, have a back up. You can understand them not wanting the facility tied up by a civil aircraft; that facility is primarily there for other reasons.

Best,

Dave

Thanks, Dave. I know it's a total shot in the dark, but at least it's worth a try. ;) My bro-in-law is supposed to be checking to see who would be the contact point for checking details.

Thanks for the tips...

For civilian aircraft to operate on an active military base the attached forms require approval, usually by the base commander (or his designee).

Without an invitation the odds are pretty slim unless you are retired military with prior authorization.

Attachments

• DD2402.pdf
    292 KB · Views: 6
  • DD2401.pdf
    339.6 KB · Views: 3
  • ddform2400.pdf
    292.6 KB · Views: 2
  • DD%20Form%202400%20Civilian%20Insurance%20Requirements.pdf
    23.6 KB · Views: 1
For civilian aircraft to operate on an active military base the attached forms require approval, usually by the base commander (or his designee).

Without an invitation the odds are pretty slim unless you are retired military with prior authorization.

*sigh* That's what I figured. Thought I'd throw it out there anyway. It will be airborne graduation week + spring break for lots of places and the base is already 'rented out' to military folks coming in for the weekend. I'm sure they've been swamped with "can we land there" requests as well.

Looks like KCSG for me! :)

What day are you planning to arrive?

CSG has an airshow this weekend.

http://www.thunderinthevalleyairshow.com/

btw, if you decide to take a more southerly route let me know, I need an excuse to pull the plane out.

*sigh* That's what I figured. Thought I'd throw it out there anyway. It will be airborne graduation week + spring break for lots of places and the base is already 'rented out' to military folks coming in for the weekend. I'm sure they've been swamped with "can we land there" requests as well.

Looks like KCSG for me! :)

Last edited:
KLSF - Lawson Army Airfield (Ft. Benning, Georgia)

I have connections to a few higher-up Navy officers, but no Army connections.

How did you get a UH-60 next month!!! No connections...my feelings are hurt:(. I'm only kidding. I did land there but that was with a "no stranger to danger Jet Ranger" TH-67. Dave is 100% right. I would also think that landing in Columbus is just as fast.

Last edited:
As much as I'd like to go to see the "Thunder" it seems it always falls on a weekend I have other plans.

I've already committed to be at a local EAA fly-in on Saturday. The wx here is supposed to be pretty good for the weekend.

http://www.flyincalendar.com/event_detail.cfm?e=6421&m=3&y=2008

Are you going to that Steve? I'm planning to go Saturday but the weather isn't looking favorable at this time. The runway will be closed from 10 am til 5 pm.

Back