KLOM Beer Drinkers unite

No need for you to be confused. When I got above a certain age, my memory apparently went to pot. I'm always calling Saranac "Appalachian" for some durned fool reason. Don't know why I cannot remember that it's "Saranac" and a Utica NY product... Anyway, that's the sampler case which has the pomegranite wheat, which is really the important part, after all...

Cheers!

Jim G

No, the most important part is which of the back woods beer shacks around here are most likely to have it?

No, the most important part is which of the back woods beer shacks around here are most likely to have it?

I usually shop "Brewer's Outlet" but don't know if you have that particular distributor up your way. The distribution system in this state is positively byzantine.

Jim G

I usually shop "Brewer's Outlet" but don't know if you have that particular distributor up your way. The distribution system in this state is positively byzantine.

Jim G

I think you give the system too much credit.

That was the biggest culture shock in comming here. I was in the grocery store looking for the beer isle... :hairraise:

I think you give the system too much credit.

That was the biggest culture shock in comming here. I was in the grocery store looking for the beer isle... :hairraise:

I grew up in new england. I REALLY miss the ability to just grab a 6 pack somewhere on the way home from work. Instead you have to go to some clapped out and dirty old warehouse and buy a whole case...

I always try 6 packs of local brews on vacation, unless I can find something at the local restaurant on tap that is.:yes:

Jim G

I grew up in new england. I REALLY miss the ability to just grab a 6 pack somewhere on the way home from work. Instead you have to go to some clapped out and dirty old warehouse and buy a whole case...

I always try 6 packs of local brews on vacation, unless I can find something at the local restaurant on tap that is.:yes:

Jim G

You can go buy a 6 pack around here... at a bar and '6 pack' but you end up paying bar prices for that 6 pack and for a couple dollars more you could have bought a whole case at the dirty nasty warehouse.

I think the laws are Byzantine in just about every state, and they're all different! Here in IL, for example, if a liquor store is late in paying their distributor, they go on a list and are immediately cut off by all distributors.

Furthermore, you can't switch from one distributor to another without permission from the first.

I didn't like living in MD for a variety of reasons, but booze was not one of them. It sure was nice being able to run out for a six pack at 9pm on a Sunday (whether or not you "needed" to) just being able to do it was great.

PA is such a throwback state! While, in all fairness, the Liquor Control Board (LCB) has done good things with the wine/liquor stores in the past few years, it's still too restricted.

Moreover, the beer situation is abominable. I like a variety of beers. I like to go into the store, pick a few different sixes, without committing to a case. Here, you get a case, or you go to a deli/bar and buy the six but pay virtually a case price. For that matter, even at the distributor the case price is astronomical.

You can get a 6 in PA at a Deli as well as a Bar. Actually I kind of like buying the case. Its usually cheaper that way and the Distributors have a pretty good selection. Now if you could get 4 different 6s in one case that would be great.

You can get a 6 in PA at a Deli as well as a Bar. Actually I kind of like buying the case. Its usually cheaper that way and the Distributors have a pretty good selection. Now if you could get 4 different 6s in one case that would be great.

And now there are even liquor sales on Sunday in PA. Before if you wanted a bottle of win for dinner on Sunday you were SOL. Still if you are having a dinner party in PA you must make a minimum of three stops for supplies.

1. Grocery store for food

2. Beer Distributor for beer

3. State Liquor store for wine and/or liquor.

Sigh.

And now there are even liquor sales on Sunday in PA. Before if you wanted a bottle of win for dinner on Sunday you were SOL. Still if you are having a dinner party in PA you must make a minimum of three stops for supplies.

Sigh.

I really don't get the sepration of beer and wine/liquor.

Sigh.

Well when ya think about it, it does not really work that way. I usually always have a few bottles of wine in the rack and at least a 1/2 case of beer in the basement fridge So rarely do I have to make that extra trip. And now in PA The wine selection in the state stores has gotten MUCH better, The are open Sundays and some as in my town are located as a concession right in the super market.

My gosh how did this thread digress from hangin out at the airport with a few beers and some friends to the merits of different beers and beer containers to the pros and cons of the state system of buying booze in PA. LOL

I really don't get the sepration of beer and wine/liquor.

Me either, but it goes back to Pennsylvania's Blue laws and its Quaker heritage.

Well when ya think about it, it does not really work that way. I usually always have a few bottles of wine in the rack and at least a 1/2 case of beer in the basement fridge So rarely do I have to make that extra trip. And now in PA The wine selection in the state stores has gotten MUCH better, The are open Sundays and some as in my town are located as a concession right in the super market.

My gosh how did this thread digress from hangin out at the airport with a few beers and some friends to the merits of different beers and beer containers to the pros and cons of the state system of buying booze in PA. LOL

Must be nice to live in a metropolous... come up to Willamsport to see how truely back-woods it is.

Must be nice to live in a metropolous... come up to Willamsport to see how truely back-woods it is.

Believe me I've spent a life time in Williamsport on One case. I think I was in that court house as much as the one in my home county.

Believe me I've spent a life time in Williamsport on One case. I think I was in that court house as much as the one in my home county.

Try to find anything but the Troggs multi pack... and that the local company. I get all my beer in Harrisburg or by the growler because I just can find anything but **** in the beer store.

Missa

Back