KLOM Beer Drinkers unite

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
:cheers: Andrew bought this up in Bob Ciotti's Fresh water fishing thread. A bit of explanation. A while back I was at the field just decompressing after work and thought it would be nice to decompress with like minded Aviation folks now and then after work. So I fired off a few PMs to the folks who regularly pass by Wings and suggested an aviation decompression hour or two.

So I get this email from Gary Friday that says " buy you a beer after work?" I don't have to be asked twice and as friday was a crazy Day I was all to happy to get out early so some quick calls go out and Gary ( With a gallon of Victory Brewing Co's Hop Devil IPA), Myself, Bob Ciotti and Andrew Morrison Play a bit of hookey and meet at Wings at 4:30 Drank the beer, and talked airplanes for about 2 hours. A damn fine time was had and I even took my tie off.

I predict this will happen again so anyone local to KLOM let me know if you want to be put on the call list. Its pretty improptu.

Sounds like a good time.....:cheers:

I did manage to hook up with a ham radio friend that works at Boeing just a few hundred yards from where I tie down, he is partners in a Cherokee. We talked about a lunch meet at Mikes Famous Harley Davidson this week. There's hope!

Thanks for the invite Adam. Sorry I couldn't make it, but since going flying is even better than talking flying guess I have an excuse. Maybe next time.

It was fun. A bunch of people who don't yawn when you talk about flying, plus great beer. What's not to like?!

Sounds like fun to me but i cant fly home afterwards, so i guess that counts me out. maybe if you do iit and have a Pepsi for me i could come.
Dave G

:cheers: Andrew bought this up in Bob Ciotti's Fresh water fishing thread. A bit of explanation. A while back I was at the field just decompressing after work and thought it would be nice to decompress with like minded Aviation folks now and then after work. So I fired off a few PMs to the folks who regularly pass by Wings and suggested an aviation decompression hour or two.

So I get this email from Gary Friday that says " buy you a beer after work?" I don't have to be asked twice and as friday was a crazy Day I was all to happy to get out early so some quick calls go out and Gary ( With a gallon of Victory Brewing Co's Hop Devil IPA), Myself, Bob Ciotti and Andrew Morrison Play a bit of hookey and meet at Wings at 4:30 Drank the beer, and talked airplanes for about 2 hours. A damn fine time was had and I even took my tie off.

I predict this will happen again so anyone local to KLOM let me know if you want to be put on the call list. Its pretty improptu.

It's a little too far for me too... but I could always shoot down and bring a growler of a local brew that is to die for. It's a Rasberry Imperal Ale. About the consistancy of Guniuess but not so bitter with a sweet fruity kick at the end. I'd just not be able to partake.:cheerswine:

Missa

Put me on the list. It's a bit of a drive from Lancaster Co, but might be worth the trip, especially at the end of a bad week. I too might be induced to bring a growler of something, should the collected mood support it. Lancaster Brewing makes some decent products.

Jim G

Put me on the list. It's a bit of a drive from Lancaster Co, but might be worth the trip, especially at the end of a bad week. I too might be induced to bring a growler of something, should the collected mood support it. Lancaster Brewing makes some decent products.

Jim G

Growler? Did Jim just say growler? I'm in :yes:

Ok your all noted and on the list. BTW Missa. Beer does not have fruit in it! Especially Rasberry. Perhaps a Lambic does but not the beer we men drink. I am a real man and I drink real beer as long as my wife says its ok!

But your company will always be appreciated!

Ok your all noted and on the list. BTW Missa. Beer does not have fruit in it! Especially Rasberry. Perhaps a Lambic does but not the beer we men drink. I am a real man and I drink real beer as long as my wife says its ok!

You have not tried Raspberry Imperil Ale therefore your ignorance shall not be held against you! Shane is really the beer connoisseur and he just puts up with me; he held the same opinion of the Raspberry Imperial Ale. He did not want to order the girly beer but did request a taste of mine for curiosities sake. Shane was much impressed with the unique flavors achieved in this beer and we took a growler home, and the second fill is currently at his house. Problem being that I wanted to take it to Osh and will probably not have to growler back in time to take it. I guess I have to buy a second growler. I could also bring a growler of Troggnator or Troggs Nut Brown straight from the brewers tap. However it would need a little more notice to have Shane meet me at the airport in Annville after he picks up the Growler.

Missa:cheers:

:cheers: A damn fine time was had and I even took my tie off.

Was a good break from the routine, I'm sure it will happen again! Now if we can just get you to turn off the cell phone.... :D

Gary

The more hops, the better the beer!

I used to drink the stuff with fruit. I even liked Pyramid Apricot Ale. Now I'm less enthralled with fruity beer (with the distinct exception of a real (echtes) Hefeweizen with a slice of lemon on top). Still, beer is beer. There's even a time and place for Keystone Light. I'm typically not in that place at that time, but it does exist.

Somebody please tell this southern boy what a "growler" (other than the dog that sleeps under my truck each night :)) is please.

I'm afraid I have to join you in that opinion. Maybe Missa can bring some of this raspberry stout and convert all of us. Lancaster Brewing sells a lovely strawberry wheat that all the women drink, and few of the men will touch...

Jim G

The more hops, the better the beer!

I used to drink the stuff with fruit. I even liked Pyramid Apricot Ale. Now I'm less enthralled with fruity beer (with the distinct exception of a real (echtes) Hefeweizen with a slice of lemon on top). Still, beer is beer. There's even a time and place for Keystone Light. I'm typically not in that place at that time, but it does exist.

Lancaster Brewing sells a hefeweizen that is their best (IMO) summer beer and one of my favorites of their products. I tend to drink that when I'm there.

Jim G

Somebody please tell this southern boy what a "growler" (other than the dog that sleeps under my truck each night :)) is please.

A big brown jug used to buy mass quanities of a micro brew. Cheeper & usually more volume then a standard 6 pack. Buy the Jug once and then when empty wash and take back with you to buy a refill.

Last edited:

Growler is a refillable, resealable LARGE bottle that the brewery sells. You buy the bottle and then reuse it, bringing it back for refills off the tap. Some places run "growler refill special" night during happy hour, bring it in get a break on a refill.

Good way to haul off some fresh microbrew for home consumption.

Jim G

See Missa's reply above

Last edited:
Lancaster Brewing sells a hefeweizen that is their best (IMO) summer beer and one of my favorites of their products. I tend to drink that when I'm there.

Jim G

And soon the Abby brewing co at the vally inn will be opening their Strawberry weizen. Not sure how that will be (they can be hit or miss with the beer but have been getting better, they are a new micro brewery the pumpkin ale last october was horrible) but I'm looking forward to trying the strawberry weizen.

Missa

And soon the Abby brewing co at the vally inn will be opening their Strawberry weizen. Not sure how that will be (they can be hit or miss with the beer but have been getting better, they are a new micro brewery the pumpkin ale last october was horrible) but I'm looking forward to trying the strawberry weizen.

Missa

Right now I'm drinking at home a pomegranite wheat from Appalachian (well, not right this second... sigh). It's not bad, not bad at all. Not too sweet, just a nice summer beer. It's in the summer variety pack.

Jim G

Missa

How are you likeing life in Williamsport? I LOVE the airport, one of my favorite little Class D, but I've never spent any real time up there. It's a pretty area from the air...

Jim G

A big brown jug used to buy mass quanities of a micro brew. Cheeper & usually more volume then a standard 6 back. Buy the Jug once and then when empty wash and take back with you to buy a refill.

Awww, you let the secret out... Only PA residents are supposed to know about growlers!

Right now I'm drinking at home a pomegranite wheat from Appalachian (well, not right this second... sigh). It's not bad, not bad at all. Not too sweet, just a nice summer beer. It's in the summer variety pack.

Jim G

I really haven't had much from ABC that I like and the resturaunt makes THE WORST hummas I have ever tasted. :vomit: But Pomegranite wheat sounds intresting. The best beer I had in a while was in Boston. Watermelon wheat... it came with a HUGE slice of watermelon on the glass (yes a girl beer)

How are you likeing life in Williamsport? I LOVE the airport, one of my favorite little Class D, but I've never spent any real time up there. It's a pretty area from the air...

Jim G

You really should spend sometime up here since I've extended an invation for a car ride to anywhere in the area and a meal to anyone who stops at the airport. The resturant at the airport isn't bad but there are some much nicer ones in town. I'd even take you to the vally inn, but then you'll have to spend the night on my futon since it would be a shame to go to the vally and not try their beer.

The airport is a very nice LITTLE class D, the uncontrolled feilds I flew out of in MI had more operations then Williamsport does. I've been told by the tower that I have really good radio work... ha I think it's my weakness, but then I learnd radio tecnique at PTK and you have to know what you are doing there.

The area is really pritty but I don't think most people know what to make of me... specially in Lowes, The cashers have gotten use to me but I still get strange looks from the other customers as I pull a heavly loaded cart to the checkout.

I'm still not use to the lack of shopping but I love that my commute is 7 min by car and 15 on the bicycle. And the mountians in the morning still take my breath away (and not just when I'm trying to commute by bicycle).

Missa

Last edited:
O.K., I get it now. A growler is the equivalent of a mason jar (only bigger)in these parts.

Here's a couple of growlers. The one on the left is the fancy German kind, the other is a normal American kind... :cheers:

Attachments

• growler5844.jpg
    growler5844.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 8
O.K., I get it now. A growler is the equivalent of a mason jar (only bigger)in these parts.

No No No, you drink out of the manson jar, this is more like the moonshine clay jug that guy in the band blows into but instead it's made of brown glass.

No No No, you drink out of the manson jar, this is more like the moonshine clay jug that guy in the band blows into but instead it's made of brown glass.

Ah, now I really get it (all you need to do is make a moonshine comparison)! Thanks Missa.

You really should spend sometime up here since I've extended an invation for a car ride to anywhere in the area and a meal to anyone who stops at the airport. The resturant at the airport isn't bad but there are some much nicer ones in town. I'd even take you to the vally inn, but then you'll have to spend the night on my futon since it would be a shame to go to the vally and not try their beer.

The airport is a very nice LITTLE class D, the uncontrolled feilds I flew out of in MI had more operations then Williamsport does. I've been told by the tower that I have really good radio work... ha I think it's my weakness, but then I learnd radio tecnique at PTK and you have to know what you are doing there.

The area is really pritty but I don't think most people know what to make of me... specially in Lowes, The cashers have gotten use to me but I still get strange looks from the other customers as I pull a heavly loaded cart to the checkout.

I'm still not use to the lack of shopping but I love that my commute is 7 min by car and 15 on the bicycle. And the mountians in the morning still take my breath away (and not just when I'm trying to commute by bicycle).

Missa

Other than drink beer, which I'm in now way dissing, what is there to do up in the area? It SURE is beautiful up there, what I've seen of it. But I've been nowhere so far except to the airport. I like the on field restaurant (less since they've stopped letting us park right there) but it's not fancy.

Sometime I'll probably have to come up and visit a client as an excuse to check the place out. You may not know it, but you have one of the two women's State Correctional Institutions right close by at Muncy. I think we fly over it "rounding the river" inbound to IPT. It would give me a way to charge my employer for mileage on the trip.

I do miss mountains. We are flat as roadkill here in Lancaster Co. I grew up in Vermont, in hills about like the ones around IPT, so it has a familiar feel when I fly up that way...

You are working for Lycoming, right? Do they have some sort of factory tour? That might be interesting sometime.

Jim G

Other than drink beer, which I'm in now way dissing, what is there to do up in the area? It SURE is beautiful up there, what I've seen of it. But I've been nowhere so far except to the airport. I like the on field restaurant (less since they've stopped letting us park right there) but it's not fancy.

Sometime I'll probably have to come up and visit a client as an excuse to check the place out. You may not know it, but you have one of the two women's State Correctional Institutions right close by at Muncy. I think we fly over it "rounding the river" inbound to IPT. It would give me a way to charge my employer for mileage on the trip.

I do miss mountains. We are flat as roadkill here in Lancaster Co. I grew up in Vermont, in hills about like the ones around IPT, so it has a familiar feel when I fly up that way...

You are working for Lycoming, right? Do they have some sort of factory tour? That might be interesting sometime.

Jim G

Hum, something to do in Willamsport.... well theres... ahh nope got nothing. A couple of months after I got here and someone asked "So have you figured out the two things to do in Willamsport?" My answer "I haven't figured out the first but the second is to go somewhere else." They laughed, nodded and walked away. I later found out the true answer to that question is to drink and go to church because both of those establishments are pleantifull around here.

Mountoursville is actually quite near the airport and both Johnsons and the Bird House have wonderfull weekend breakfasts. They are an 2 -3 block walk from the airport, however if you have to park at Degal you have to walk to the other side of the airport first, where there is not much traffic on that road there is no place to walk but the road however if you make arrangements in advance I'll pick you up.

If you like the outdoors there are some nice hiking and biking trails and the river offers boating and fishing but the town had very little to offer. It's a lumber boom town past it's prime and no one has figured out how to revive it. There are many beautiful victorian homes in disrepair. It's the home to the little league world series and to Lycoming. Lycoming does give tours to groups and there is a cool little museum next to the lobby. (but if you know who to ask you might be able to get a personal tour, no promises)

Missa

Not to distract from the real subject of the thread " BEER" but Wellsboro and the PA Grand Canyon is just north of williamsport and PSU isn't far for football fans.

Ok back to beer. Good news is that The Broad Axe Tavern ( A pre-revolutionary war tavern ) many of those around here ,which is about a mile from Wings is being taken over by Monks a famous philly Belgan Ale House. So now some growlers of super good stuff will be even closer to Wings for our little get togethers.

Not to distract from the real subject of the thread " BEER" but Wellsboro and the PA Grand Canyon is just north of williamsport and PSU isn't far for football fans.

Actually the PA grand Caynon was the hike/bike Trail I was thinking about, PSU may be close but there are closer airports and I won't pick you up and drive you over from Williamsport (unless it for the UM/PSU game, you have a ticket for me & you don't mind me showing up in Maize and Blue)

Also there is the Piper Muesum over in Lock Haven but it's as easy to get to by plane as it is by car.

THere are also several good winneries around too, which gets us back closer to the orignal topic of beer.

Missa

Actually the PA grand Caynon was the hike/bike Trail I was thinking about, PSU may be close but there are closer airports

There is a small GA airport right near the PA Grand Canyon. N38, Wellsboro Johnston.

Jim G

It's not Appalachian that I'm drinking, BTW. It's Saranac, a brand made out of Utica NY. That's the Pomegranite Wheat. They have a reasonably priced and decent tasting summer variety pack. To bring this back to the critical topic, that I managed to deviate us from, being BEER.

Jim G

It's not Appalachian that I'm drinking, BTW. It's Saranac, a brand made out of Utica NY. That's the Pomegranite Wheat. They have a reasonably priced and decent tasting summer variety pack. To bring this back to the critical topic, that I managed to deviate us from, being BEER.

Jim G

Ahh, well I'm confused... not Appalachian but from Appalachian... right. Ok what ever, good beer from the Utica NY area Cool.

Ahh, well I'm confused... not Appalachian but from Appalachian... right. Ok what ever, good beer from the Utica NY area Cool.

No need for you to be confused. When I got above a certain age, my memory apparently went to pot. I'm always calling Saranac "Appalachian" for some durned fool reason. Don't know why I cannot remember that it's "Saranac" and a Utica NY product... Anyway, that's the sampler case which has the pomegranite wheat, which is really the important part, after all...

Cheers!

Jim G

Back