KLN89B Approaches Not Available

poadeleted21

Touchdown! Greaser!
My KLN89B was just swapped over to IFR mode. I haven't been down to check it out yet the avionics guy just left. My CFI was messing with it and called me to tell me that when it powers up it says "Approaches Are Unavailable" or something along those lines. He started the GPS up in the hangar so it probably wasn't getting any satellites, and he didn't have the ALT Encoder turned on so naturally it was complaining about "ALT INPUT UNAVAILABLE".

He's not familiar with the 89B (His plane has a GX-65 in it). But he believes that the approaches should be available without alt input or reliable satellite connection so that you can enter flight plans on the ground in the comfort of your hangar.

I have a fresh database downloaded that becomes "current" on December 17th the one that's in it now expired in like August of 2005.

So, no sattellites, no alt input, really old database... Should I be getting Approaches loaded? If so what would cause the "approaches not availble" message when the GPS boots up. He also says there's no APT 9 page.... Where the approaches are.

Nevermind. found this in the manual.

‡NOTE: In some installations, KLN 89B is configured for use in IFR
E n r o u t e a n d T e rmi n a l o p e r a t i o n s , b u t n o t f o r n o n - p r e c i s i o n
approaches. If this is the case, line 3 will read GPS Approaches
Disabled and you will not have access to approaches in the data
base

Avionics guy put it into the wrong mode.

Last edited:
Rusty,

I have an 89b and it is not certified for IFR. There are a couple reasons. One is that the remote annunciator was installed in the right side of the panel and is supposed to be (from what i have heard) at least in the center position. I also need a CDI installed that is directly connected to the 89b.

I have been told this will all cost me about $2000 to take care of plus the cost of the monthly updates which I think are about $440.

Are you still using your 89b? Was it worth setting it up for IFR?

I hate to spend the money then turn around and do something else like a 430 or 530.

Rusty,

I have an 89b and it is not certified for IFR. There are a couple reasons. One is that the remote annunciator was installed in the right side of the panel and is supposed to be (from what i have heard) at least in the center position. I also need a CDI installed that is directly connected to the 89b.

I have been told this will all cost me about $2000 to take care of plus the cost of the monthly updates which I think are about $440.

I hate to spend the money then turn around and do something else like a 430 or 530.

I sold that plane and bought another one that has a 530 in it. It was only a few well timed button pushes to turn on approaches. I can tell you how to do it if you want to see for yourself how the approach functionality works on the 89b. I'm making no claims about legality, just saying it takes about 30 seconds to turn on approaches. My install was IFR legal, my avionics guy just didn't turn on approaches.

But to answer your question. I liked the 89B, once you get used to it, it's not that bad. IIRC the database isn't all inclusive of the approaches at an airport. I believe they had to cut it due to space restrictions on the memory card. If I didn't want a WAAS GPS, I'd probably spend the 2K to get it certified over buying a non-waas 430. The CDI can be pricey and if you use the B/K one, support and repair aren't happening. If I had to do it over again, I'd save my pennies for something with WAAS.

Get the technical/installation manual.. it can be had online. You will see everything you need to do to reconfigure.

To be legal you need the annunciator in your primary scan, and a working compatible CDI, as previously mentioned.

Get the technical/installation manual.. it can be had online. You will see everything you need to do to reconfigure.

To be legal you need the annunciator in your primary scan, and a working compatible CDI, as previously mentioned.

To enter the maintenance pages, the MSG button must be depressed before the unit is turned on and continue to be depressed for 10 seconds (+/- 2 seconds) after turn on. At the end of the 10-second period, release the MSG button for 1 second and momentarily press the button again. Following this sequence, the unit will automatically enter the Maintenance (MNT) pages.

After you get in maintenance mode, it's self explanatory after that. There's a page for IFR ops "OFF", "ENROUTE", and "APPROACH"

Typical warnings apply.

I see this thread is more than a year old but I have the same problem. No approaches are available nor are any of the waypoints for the approaches.

I recently had the memory battery replaced (it was dead)

After following the instructions of holding the MSG button for 10sec and turning the unit on all I get is a screen that says,

CONFIGURATION
1. Copy Module to Unit?
2. Copy Unit to Module?

any ideas

I'm not sure what to do.

Rusty,

Tim, I had a VFR only 89B in my arrow when I bought it. It didnt even have the annunciator. The install/cert cost were similar to a new gps install so I ended up selling it to a king air owner for a little under 2k who just needed a replacement unit. I put that money towards a GTN 650. It didn't make a big dent in the price but its a much better long tern solution. I did look for a used 430, but at the time, the good used 430's were not that far off from a new unit.

I see this thread is more than a year old but I have the same problem. No approaches are available nor are any of the waypoints for the approaches.

I recently had the memory battery replaced (it was dead)

After following the instructions of holding the MSG button for 10sec and turning the unit on all I get is a screen that says,

CONFIGURATION
1. Copy Module to Unit?
2. Copy Unit to Module?

any ideas

I'm not sure what to do.

Use "Copy Module to Unit"

There is a firmware module in the rack that retains configuration data if the unit is removed. If the configuration in the unit differs from the module (because of a memory battery swap, replacement unit, etc.) it allows you to specify which configuration data set to use.

Good luck.

Steve

Thank you for the info.

What I came to figure out is, my unit is configured correctly but there was a mistake I had the Canadian database, this is why I had no approaches at any airports.
Nice people at Honeywell (wingman services) helped me out and adjusted my subscription so I have the US database. Now my KLN89b and KMD 150 work and I can do some approaches! Yeah !!!

Back