KLN-94 Questions

nj-pilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
josh_me
Let me first start by saying that I trained on the G430 and G530 models, and am now transitioning to the KLN-94. Have read the user guide and watched the videos available. I'm sure these questions are painfully easy for most of you. Welcome any links to other resources, if you know of a great book or anything.

A few questions:

1) In G430/530, there is a distinction between "loading" and "activating" an approach. In the KLN-94, I don't see how to activate - only load. So the question is if I load approach (e.g., "RNAV 28") at some airport, and add it to Flight Plan 0, how to explicitly "activate" it? Just hit direct-to the first waypoint?

2) I loaded a Localizer approach and then shot it, but the GPS unit never showed the fully published approach on the screen. It showed the IAF and IF points, but no track, no procedure turns, etc.. Is there a way for it to show procedure turns, including course guidance for entering them, and track my flight (like the G430/530 does)?

3) G430/530 has the notion of a "clear" button which, when pushed, takes you out of wherever you are and dumps you back to the main nav page. Purpose is to let you quickly get back to nav page in case you get lost in page navigation. I thought that little button under the zoom key ("menu") would serve this function, but it didn't. Is there such a thing?

4) Can a KLN-94 be WAAS enabled? I suspect not. If I'm right, then why is it necessary to enter baro pressure? Will the KLN-94 work properly if I skip this step during my approach?

5) Is the VNAV function useful or annoying? I chose not to use it, but that's only because I hadn't learned it yet. Should I?

6) Missed approaches - is there a nice way to go missed on non-RNAV approaches? Seems like I have to enter the MAP as a waypoint and then tell it to go direct-to. Is that right or is there a better way?

Thanks in advance

I have ~200 hours with the KLN-94. Only button i ever pushed was the direct to.

I know of some online reference sheets but it is all basic VFR stuff.
I do have the giant manual in my laundry room. It is like 300 pages. Former owner printed it and put it in a binder.

I will mail it to you if you want it.

Pilot's guide and quick reference guide can be downloaded here:

http://www.bendixking.com/Downloads/Documents

I know that if you load a GPS approach to begin at an IAF, you don't have to "activate" it. Just make sure you're in "leg" mode before you get to the IAF. If you load the approach with "vectors to final", you'll have to activate "vectors" by pressing the "procedures" button, then with "Activate Vectors" highlighted, press "ENT".

Also, the KLN-94 does not provide a graphical representation of the approach plan view.

I really like the Qref checklist. Its available on Amazon.com

41an27Mv-zL._SX308_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Last edited:
You can activate the approach on a KLN 94 by pressing "PROC" and then "Activate Approach." You can execute a missed approach by pressing the "Direct" Symbol, and then the "Enter" button. when you press the Direct symbol button, just be sure that the waypoint it brings up, is the first waypoint or fix on the Missed Approach.
KLN 94 GPSs can be WAAS enabled. I never touch the baro setting on any of the airplanes I fly with a KLN 94. (Ours are NOT WAAS enabled,) it does not affect the function of the GPS in Enroute, Terminal, or Approach Mode.
I've never used any VNAV function with any of the KLN 94 GPS units I've flown, as the option never came up. I suspect this is because they are not WAAS enabled, but I really couldn't say for sure.

Hope that helps.

For missed approach, put the missed waypoint in the flight plan. There is a quickie way to get waypoints if they are in the flight plan.

Fly the missed with the DG and/or VOR head is really the best. No knob pushing at all.

Thanks everyone - sincerely appreciate the thoughtful replies.

@SixPapaCharlie - Thank you for your generous offer. I think I'm ok with the user guides and documents I have. You make POA a great place.

I got this course as a give-away with their instrument course. It was a very general course that really didn't increase my proficiency with the KLN-94. JMHO!

I found it very helpful. The airplane I used to own had a KLN-94 installed and I learned to do more than >D because of it. :D

Back