KLGB GA?

onwards

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
onwards
Anyone familiar with long beach airport?

I will be picking up a friend there mid next week, and am trying to find the information to give them about where in the airport they should go, since I assume it won't be the main terminal.

Pickup is around 9 pm.

Also, second question: when getting out, can klgb CD set me up for bravo clearance on the ground through lax going north?

AirFlite is next to the Boeing plant. Real nice, but I don't know anything about their fees. They hosted a CAP event and didn't charge a red cent.

I doubt anyone at LGB can get you through Class B, as that's SOCAL's job.

AirFlite is next to the Boeing plant. Real nice, but I don't know anything about their fees. They hosted a CAP event and didn't charge a red cent.

I doubt anyone at LGB can get you through Class B, as that's SOCAL's job.

Thank you. I'll call them. It's literally a land-pickup-go situation.

+1 Airflite. If they charged me for my last passenger pickup (including use of a prius to run to the terminal and back), it was a negligible amount. I don't think they charged me at all, though.

Be careful with the ground controllers at LGB. I've received bogus instructions a few times -- clearance across an active runway being the worst. Someone told me they do controller training there -- just "trust but verify" and keep an eye on the runways, since there are a lot of em.

Sometimes SoCal will ask you for a preferred runway when you're 10 miles out. Have an answer picked out.. which means getting the ATIS earlier than I normally do. Saying to SoCal "beats me, have one to recommend?" seems to flummox them, and sounds really bush league. :D

$0.02

Yes, LGB is a training tower, you don't only have to verify on the ground but in the air as well.

Also, second question: when getting out, can klgb CD set me up for bravo clearance on the ground through lax going north?

Probably not if VFR...have flown outta every other airport in that area except LGB and every time I have to request Bravo clearance as soon as I switch from tower to departure and has never been a problem. LGB may have different capabilities however so it wouldn't hurt to ask.

If they can't...establish FF on the ground and will make the transition and request for Bravo much easier as they will already have your info on the strip.

Outta LGB, depending on what you are flying you have the Mini route or Coastal Route...less than 250 HP, you most likely will have to make a climbing turn to get to 6500' for the coastal route before entering Bravo.

Last edited:
I used to taxi over and park at the Ristorante daVinci.

This is one field I always get a progressive taxi too :yes:

If they can't...establish FF on the ground and will make the transition and request for Bravo much easier as they will already have your info on the strip.

That's what I figured, thank you for reaffirming. I don't think I've seen clearance delivery in class deltas yet (my home airport is one too), looks like LGB is a rare exception.

Outta LGB, depending on what you are flying you have the Mini route or Coastal Route...less than 250 HP, you most likely will have to make a climbing turn to get to 6500' for the coastal route before entering Bravo.

A 285HP (p-ponk) C182. Probably at night with the marine layer I'd want the coastal route anyway, just so I can be well above it.

+1 Airflite. If they charged me for my last passenger pickup (including use of a prius to run to the terminal and back), it was a negligible amount. I don't think they charged me at all, though.

Run to the terminal? would my passenger not be able to get to this FBO directly? I did just write to them based on the repeated recommendation.

Be careful with the ground controllers at LGB. I've received bogus instructions a few times -- clearance across an active runway being the worst. Someone told me they do controller training there -- just "trust but verify" and keep an eye on the runways, since there are a lot of em.

Well, that sounds fun :nono: Thankfully it will be around 9PM so hopefully there will be a lot less local traffic.

Hi onwards.
Do not be concerned, Ask for Progressive and they will be very nice to you. First time to KLGB can be intimidating, and Progressive is the magic word. TV

Airflite is consistently listed as one of the top FBOs in the country. I'd go there, and enjoy the experience before it goes away.

Airflite is consistently listed as one of the top FBOs in the country. I'd go there, and enjoy the experience before it goes away.

I haven't been there in a long time, but they used to have some of the finest FBO hotties.

I haven't been there in a long time, but they used to have some of the finest FBO hotties.

There were definitely some cuties there, but it's been awhile for me too. With Toyota moving to Texas, I'm not really sure about the FBO's future, unfortunately. :(

There were definitely some cuties there, but it's been awhile for me too. With Toyota moving to Texas, I'm not really sure about the FBO's future, unfortunately. :(

It makes money, I doubt it goes away, they'll probably open another in TX.

Back