KIWA Class "C"??

skippy101

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Jeff
I heard a rumor that KIWA might be getting class "C" status. Can anyone confirm the story on this?

Where have you heard this? Link?

This has been talked about before. One problem you have here at Gateway Airport...this a contract tower. I believe they would be the first in the nation to have a Class C as a contract tower. Not sure if the FAA would be good with this.

I know Allegiant Airlines would love to see this!

Funny you just started this thread. I'm listening to KIWA on LiveATC and notice how busy this Class D airport is. I was wondering if it was going to ever become a Class C or Possible B.

This has been talked about before. One problem you have here at Gateway Airport...this a contract tower. I believe they would be the first in the nation to have a Class C as a contract tower. Not sure if the FAA would be good with this.

Valley Int'l in Harlingen, TX (KHRL) has a contract tower and Class C airspace.

Aside from the typical flight school traffic and an _occasional_ 121 carrier, it doesn't seem that busy to me.

I heard this just with hanger talk awhile back. It had been the 2nd time I have heard this so it raised my brows...

Aside from the typical flight school traffic and an _occasional_ 121 carrier, it doesn't seem that busy to me.

Apparently you don't go there very often. These are the stats from 2013.
AIR CARRIER: 10,013
AIR TAXI: 12,018
GA LOCAL: 95,544
GA ITNRNT: 65,095
MILITARY: 3,332
TOTAL: 186,002

That's on average 510 operations a day. 21 operations an hour averaged over 24 hours... So an aircraft arrives or departures on average every 3 minutes... That is a TON of traffic. And that includes boring overnights as well as busy busy times. Yes there are a ton of training flights and that's obviously the majority.. but over 10,000 121 flights isn't anything to overlook.

I will say it would be very odd to have KIWA a class C. That would be a Class B over a class C which would be over at least 2 or 2 class D's. The airspace here is already a zoo and the fact there's a midair a year here says that...

Last edited:

That's on average 510 operations a day. 21 operations an hour averaged over 24 hours... So an aircraft arrives or departures on average every 3 minutes... That is a TON of traffic. And that includes boring overnights as well as busy busy times. Yes there are a ton of training flights and that's obviously the majority.. but over 10,000 121 flights isn't anything to overlook.

With a good chunk of those training flights being non-English speaking pilots that manage to make a mess of things.

With a good chunk of those training flights being non-English speaking pilots that manage to make a mess of things.

Why do you think I keep turning down job offers for TPA and CAE? :rofl:

I will say it would be very odd to have KIWA a class C. That would be a Class B over a class C which would be over at least 2 or 2 class D's. The airspace here is already a zoo and the fact there's a midair a year here says that...

Ok, but for the most recent year I could find stats for, FFZ had 319,000 operations, SDL had 225,000 operations (on a single runway), and those airports certainly would not be candidates for a Class C.

Sure, IWA has more air carriers, but quite a bit of traffic at SDL consists of large jets as well.

Ok, but for the most recent year I could find stats for, FFZ had 319,000 operations, SDL had 225,000 operations (on a single runway), and those airports certainly would not be candidates for a Class C.

Sure, IWA has more air carriers, but quite a bit of traffic at SDL consists of large jets as well.

Trust me, I know. I also read somewhere that SDL is one of the busiest single runways in the world. But SDL is a very different place from IWA and they can't really be compared. Yes SDL has some training (a lot of helicopter training) but IWA gets SO MUCH MORE because they have an ILS. And at SDL it's biz jets & pistons. At IWA it's everything from a gyrocopter to an Antanov. IMO IWA is just a different world than the other feeders of PHX.

A candidate site for Class C airspace must have at least one of the following:

1. An annual instrument operations count of 75,000 at the primary airport.
  2. An annual instrument operations count of 100,000 at the primary and secondary airports in the terminal area hub.
  3. An annual count of 250,000 enplaned passengers at the primary airport.

Like O'Hare and Midway?

A candidate site for Class C airspace must have at least one of the following:

1. An annual instrument operations count of 75,000 at the primary airport.
  2. An annual instrument operations count of 100,000 at the primary and secondary airports in the terminal area hub.
  3. An annual count of 250,000 enplaned passengers at the primary airport.
Like O'Hare and Midway?

I'm pretty sure in the Phoenix area those first two aren't happening.

Trust me, I know. I also read somewhere that SDL is one of the busiest single runways in the world. But SDL is a very different place from IWA and they can't really be compared. Yes SDL has some training (a lot of helicopter training) but IWA gets SO MUCH MORE because they have an ILS. And at SDL it's biz jets & pistons. At IWA it's everything from a gyrocopter to an Antanov. IMO IWA is just a different world than the other feeders of PHX.

And HotAir Balloons operating in IWA Class D airspace.

What's the source of that data?

What's the source of that data?

http://www.gcr1.com/5010web/REPORTS/IWA.pdf

I didn't realize Chicago and Midway had airspace that would look somewhat similar to IWA if it became class C. I've never flown to the Chicago area.

PHX I would think has the number of instrument movements, they run the ILS to all 3 runways all day. The feeders are always on the visual though. I've never received an approach here.

Back