Kitty picked a good time to bolt

I used to talk to them. Tried being polite and listening to the spiel before politely telling them "no thanks." Now, as soon as I see "The Watch Tower" or whatever else it is they're pushing, I just interrupt with "No Thank You!" and close the door.

I can't help but think that if they consider themselves "missionaries", they must consider me a heathen.

I used to talk to them. Tried being polite and listening to the spiel before politely telling them "no thanks." Now, as soon as I see "The Watch Tower" or whatever else it is they're pushing, I just interrupt with "No Thank You!" and close the door.

I can't help but think that if they consider themselves "missionaries", they must consider me a heathen.

Why do you think that? If you are unconcerned with them, why do you think they are concerned with you? :dunno: What do you think a missionary does?

I have no problem with anyone's beliefs , just don't try and sell it to me at my place of residence, nor would I do it to others.

I did ask once how bad was their religion that they have to sell it door to door, but I am more polite now.... I just ask them the one question as stated above - you can go out selling if you know nothing about the competitions product.

Last edited:
I merely was responding to a question about their reaction to cat ornaments - never said their were secretive. So now I am curious as to why the are "many disgruntled ex-JWs".

Currently there are over 8 million active Witnesses. With a group that large, there are bound to be former members who for some reason or another have left or have become disgruntled. You will find that with any religious group.

Believe me, we don't view anyone as heathens or inferior to us. The vast majority of us don't even consider ourselves missionaries. We just try to encourage people to read and study their bibles. We want everyone to benefit from the principles and hope in the bible.

I have no problem with anyone's beliefs , just don't try and sell it to me at my place of residence, nor would I do it to others.

I did ask once how bad was their religion that they have to sell it door to door, but I am more polite now.... I just ask them the one question as stated above - you can go out selling if you know nothing about the competitions product.

The witnesses are not trying to sell their religion or push it on anyone. JW's feel an obligation to follow Jesus' example and preach to others. Not trying to sell anyone here... Just trying to help you understand why we preach. This is from jw.org: Jesus told his followers to “make disciples of people of all the nations.” (Matthew 28:19, 20) When he sent out his early disciples, Jesus directed them to go to the homes of the people. (Matthew 10:7, 11-13) After Jesus’ death, first-century Christians continued to spread their message both “publicly and from house to house.” (Acts 5:42; 20:20) We follow the example of those early Christians and find that the door-to-door ministry is a good way to reach people.

http://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazines/g20020608/should-christians-preach-to-others/

>> preach to others.

That's what churches, temples, Kingdom Halls etc are for...... Not individual door steps.

Sorry if you feel I am targeting JW solely, that is not my intend, all faiths come to the door, true, some more than others, but since when does the message of Jesus allow anyone to question my choice of faith.

You or anyone else are free to believe in what you want, as I do, but don't try and tell me my way is not the correct way and try to help me and my family "see the light"

>> We follow the example of those early Christians and find that the door-to-door ministry is a good way to reach people.

Reach people to what end ?

Last edited:
Linking to Dave Hitt's website is interesting.

He's done significant research into JW but much of it is quite thoughtful and detailed, but only in his podcasts and not necessarily on the website.

He covers many other interesting topics as well, although I'll admit I haven't listened to see if he's done anything new in a while. He took a break to focus on some other things (also covered in the podcast).

To write off the website as "disgruntled" people without listening to his podcast material is pretty shallow. Much of the "meat" of his work isn't in printed form. You have to listen.

Problem solved.

maxresdefault.jpg

I tell them that I'm busy right now then ask for their cell phone number or home address so we can chat at a later time.

The reactions are always funny.

Believe me, we don't view anyone as heathens or inferior to us. The vast majority of us don't even consider ourselves missionaries. We just try to encourage people to read and study their bibles. We want everyone to benefit from the principles and hope in the bible.

The witnesses are not trying to sell their religion or push it on anyone. JW's feel an obligation to follow Jesus' example and preach to others. Not trying to sell anyone here... Just trying to help you understand why we preach. This is from jw.org: Jesus told his followers to “make disciples of people of all the nations.” (Matthew 28:19, 20) When he sent out his early disciples, Jesus directed them to go to the homes of the people. (Matthew 10:7, 11-13) After Jesus’ death, first-century Christians continued to spread their message both “publicly and from house to house.” (Acts 5:42; 20:20) We follow the example of those early Christians and find that the door-to-door ministry is a good way to reach people.

http://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazines/g20020608/should-christians-preach-to-others/

Since you are a JW...

Care to share why you guys won't join the military and fight for the FREEDOM OF RELIGION ???:dunno::dunno:

Plenty of people have been conscientious objectors in US history - some for religious reasons, some for other. But with a volunteer force, no one has to opt in.

I've seen people not stand during our National Anthem - they didn't talk or otherwise disrupt anything. I don't know their reasons for it, though.

Plenty of people have been conscientious objectors in US history - some for religious reasons, some for other. But with a volunteer force, no one has to opt in.

I've seen people not stand during our National Anthem - they didn't talk or otherwise disrupt anything. I don't know their reasons for it, though.

Yeah, BUT...

If a war breaks out ( and it will ).. The JW's has a written exclusion from the U.S Government to prevent their members from being drafted...:mad::mad::mad2:

Yeah, BUT...

If a war breaks out ( and it will ).. The JW's has a written exclusion from the U.S Government to prevent their members from being drafted...:mad::mad::mad2:

That part I didn't know. I thought they would be subject to the draft, like anyone else, but could apply for CO status.

Interestingly, there have been three Conscientious Objectors who have been awarded the MoH (all combat medics - their citations are impressive):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desmond_Doss

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_W._Bennett_(conscientious_objector)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_G._LaPointe,_Jr.

Last edited:
Don't live in town or the suburbs and you don't have to deal with it. Just like trick-or-treaters there aren't enough houses/sq mile to make it worth their time or effort.

Next place I plan on moving to an even less densely populated area.

Since you are a JW...

Care to share why you guys won't join the military and fight for the FREEDOM OF RELIGION ???:dunno::dunno:

Witnesses stay neutral in all the worlds conflicts. Because of that, many thousands of JW's have been imprisoned all over the world for not joining their country's military. I don't believe this forum is the place to have a lengthy discussion on this subject, but I've posted a few reasons below:

1. Obedience to God. The Bible says that God’s servants would “beat their swords into plowshares” and not “learn war anymore.”—Isaiah 2:4.
  2. Obedience to Jesus. The apostle Peter was told by Jesus: “Return your sword to its place, for all those who take the sword will perish by the sword.” (Matthew 26:52) Jesus thus showed that his followers would not take up weapons of warfare.
    Jesus’ disciples obey his command to be “no part of the world” by remaining strictly neutral in political matters. (John 17:16) They do not protest against military actions or interfere with those who choose to serve in the armed forces.
  3. Love for others. Jesus commanded his disciples to “love one another.” (John 13:34, 35) They would thus form an international brotherhood in which no member would ever wage war against his brother or sister.—1 John 3:10-12.
  4. The example of early Christians. The Encyclopedia of Religion and War states: “The earliest followers of Jesus rejected war and military service,” recognizing those practices as “incompatible with the love ethic of Jesus and the injunction to love one’s enemies.” Likewise, German theologian Peter Meinhold said of those early disciples of Jesus: “Being a Christian and a soldier was considered irreconcilable.”

Yeah, BUT...

This is not correct. All JW young men register for the selective service when they turn 18 and have the possibility of being drafted. But yes, there is a provision for conscientious objectors.

We respect the flag as well as the constitution and what they stand for. We are also very thankful to have the protections of freedom of religion and speech. What you might be surprised to learn is that JW's have done much to fight for freedom of religion all over the world. Dozens of court cases have been taken to the highest courts of many countries including the US Supreme Court where we fought for freedom of speech and religion.

Again, I'm not trying to sway anyone or preach to you... just wanted to share some facts.

EDIT: Just found these 2 articles-

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/0...-conscientious-objectors-resists-giving-them/

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/20/asia/korean-military-conscientious-objectors/

Last edited:
Yeah, the cat thing is comedy, an ex had JW family in Holland we stayed with and they had all sorts of animals including cats. Probably more afraid of rabies...

It was a cat ornament and they spend 5 mins quizzing the wife as to why she had it..... so there must be something there....
no smoke without fire...

On the door to door spending of the word, why is it always the smaller regilions that do it, never never never had a priest or a nun at the door selling their ware, nor any other major denomination ...... It's always JW or the Salt Lake gang.

Last edited:
Don't live in town or the suburbs and you don't have to deal with it. Just like trick-or-treaters there aren't enough houses/sq mile to make it worth their time or effort.

Next place I plan on moving to an even less densely populated area.

That didn't work for me. I live about as remote as you can get east of the Mississippi and they come by my house. Well, they did until I installed the gate.

They're gambling by doing so, I live remote enough that I have no concerns about say, walking out to the laundry room stark naked to retrieve clothes, leaking in the yard and most of the time my windows and doors are open.

The problem I have with Jehovah's Witnesses coming around to save my soul is that they always send old ladies. The Mormons, on the other hand, send young men who are invariably strong and healthy because of their lifestyles, and who are therefore much better at shoveling snow, replacing motor mounts, fixing gutters, rebuilding rock walls, and helping out with other such chores.

They're both equally nice; but when I'm in the middle of some back-breaking job and could use someone with a strong back to help me out, the Mormons definitely have the edge. Of course, they also require that I stock up on caffeine-free beverages for the sake of hospitality; but hey, everything has its costs.

Rich

A friend and co-worker is J-Dub (as he calls it). He travels frequently throughout the area to preach in Kingdom Halls (he's a very popular speaker). He also cusses, drinks, and ganders at the ladies, just like us heathens.

Of course, they also require that I stock up on caffeine-free beverages for the sake of hospitality; but hey, everything has its costs.

Caffeine-free , that one never makes sense to me. Does that mean if they have caffeine and don't know about it, they are dammed to hell ?

Last edited:
Caffeine-free , that one never makes sense to me. Does that mean if they have caffeine and don't know about it, they are dammed to hell ?

The real ironic thing about Mormons is... They own controlling stock in Pepsi Cola.. The largest caffeine supplier in the world..........

Go Figure...:rolleyes:

That didn't work for me. I live about as remote as you can get east of the Mississippi and they come by my house. Well, they did until I installed the gate.

They're gambling by doing so, I live remote enough that I have no concerns about say, walking out to the laundry room stark naked to retrieve clothes, leaking in the yard and most of the time my windows and doors are open.

I live in the burbs and I do that. I do wait for dark if I'm going to take a leak outside, though.

It was a cat ornament and they spend 5 mins quizzing the wife as to why she had it..... so there must be something there....
no smoke without fire...

Could it have been that those ladies were just trying to be nice and make conversation? My wife and I have 2 cats as well as a couple of cat ornaments/decorations.

You know... who am I fooling. You're right. We hate cats and no one is allowed to even pet them. I guess I let the "cat out of the bag"! :rolleyes2: :lol:

On the door to door spending of the word, why is it always the smaller regilions that do it, never never never had a priest or a nun at the door selling their ware, nor any other major denomination ...... It's always JW or the Salt Lake gang.

That is interesting, isn't it? As I mentioned before, we have over 8 million active members, preach in 239 countries and territories and are currently conducting close to 10 million bible studies around the world. Maybe that's why we're growing and some other large religions are losing members in droves? Jesus and the first century Christians didn't tell others that they had to come to them to hear the good news. They went out and preached to others.

BTW, we do drink caffeine. I couldn't go without my sweet tea! :lol:

I didn't say they own Pepsi.....:no:

You said they held a controlling interest in Pepsi. They do not. they're not even in the top 10 stock hoders of Pepsi, if they hold any Pepsi stock at all.

The article also says this

Mormons can swill Coca-Cola, eschew it and all other caffeinated beverages, or indulge in the occasional Coke and still be considered churchgoers in good standing.

so even if they did, there would be no irony.

You said they held a controlling interest in Pepsi. They do not. they're not even in the top 10 stock hoders of Pepsi, if they hold any Pepsi stock at all.

Mormons can swill Coca-Cola, eschew it and all other caffeinated beverages, or indulge in the occasional Coke and still be considered churchgoers in good standing.

Yep. It's only advised to avoid caffeine, although that advice seems to be near-universally heeded.

Rich

Hmmm..

When I said the "church", I should have clarified the true meaning of "the church"...

Ya see , a church is just a collection of members. Those people can and do will their assets to the church. Those millions and millions can own stock individually and add to their portfolio as they please with reporting agencies non the wiser, but still can steer the stock by a silent agenda. Happens all the time....

So , to correct my earlier statement... The Mormon church does NOT own controlling shares themselves,, their followers do...

Ps.... Florida is a BIG state with alot of acreage.......

Who do you think is the largest PRIVATE land owner in the state.??:dunno:..;)

Could it have been that those ladies...

It was 2 young guys and a women, they were very polite right up to the moment that the cat ornament was noticed and then they became damn right annoyed and questioned why we had it. Nothing about it being a nice ornament or if we had cats etc.... Based on everything you have said previous, then I think you have some serious PR issues.

Back