Kirtland AFB Locked Down - active shooter?

Calif. is working a serious active shooter incident,glad the base was safe. Carl is still ongoing.

"Active shooter" has to be one of the dumbest phrases ever in more than one way. An inactive shooter by definition, isn't shooting and therefore isn't a shooter.

THANK YOU!! I have been complaining about this all week since the overuse of the term in COS last weekend. God it grates on my nerves. It has just become part of the journalists' playbook in the past couple of years and is SO overused.

I want to hear a story about an 'inactive shooter'.

"He was just sitting there, in the La-Z-Boy, shooting... It looked like he hadn't been to the gym in months."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Clearly "active shooter" refers to one that hasn't been stopped yet.

..almost as over-used as "shelter in place"....

One of my favorites comes from a local TV station: "Man killed after traffic accident".

OK; did the cops drag him out of the car and shoot him? :dunno:

The king's English sure has gone to pot.

It has just become part of the journalists' playbook in the past couple of years and is SO overused.
While I agree that it sounds a bit silly and is way overused, the use of the phrase has nothing to do with journalists - they are simply repeating the term that LE and Government officials have made a buzz word.

True....just like firefighters use the term 'working structure fire'......I always kind silly since structure fires tend to be somewhat destructive.

Re: "Active shooter" -- People just don't trust unadorned nouns.

I want to hear a story about an 'inactive shooter'.

"He was just sitting there, in the La-Z-Boy, shooting... It looked like he hadn't been to the gym in months."

That would be a "Sedentary Shooter"! :D

One of my favorites comes from a local TV station: "Man killed after traffic accident".

OK; did the cops drag him out of the car and shoot him? :dunno:

The king's English sure has gone to pot.

"A man was shot dead today..." Well, was he dead before or after he was shot..? :rofl:

"A man was shot dead today..." Well, was he dead before or after he was shot..? :rofl:

I heard this on the local news yesterday: "a man was shot in the Bronx."

I bet that hurt!

(Yes I know what that meant, but the Bronx is a bit weird... well maybe a lot weird for other reasons. It is always "the Bronx" and it is never without "the". Perfectly correct to say a man was shot in Bronx but no...

Anyhow it just hit my funny bone. I am easily amused! -Skip

Going back to Nick's original post ==>
Was prolly a called in hoax.
The AP's reversed the lockdown and went back to normal ops around 3 in the afternoon.

(there was no shooting nor was a perp found)

The other overused and stupid media buzz phrase that drives me out of my mind is "boots on the ground"…….even normal people are starting to use it, and it really makes me want to punch them in the junk every time I hear it. Always strikes me as idiots trying to sound informed by mimicking something some General said in a war movie

The other overused and stupid media buzz phrase that drives me out of my mind is "boots on the ground"…….even normal people are starting to use it, and it really makes me want to punch them in the junk every time I hear it. Always strikes me as idiots trying to sound informed by mimicking something some General said in a war movie

The new media buzz phrase they took from the military is "soft targets." I'm sure we'll hear that one a lot from here on out.

That phrase always makes me wonder what the advisors or trainers or whatever they are, are wearing on their feet. :dunno:

In other news... I have a new favorite phrase!

Punch in the junk!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

what does that even refer to? People in the open or something?

A soft target can't fight back or isn't easily defended. Locking yourself in a brick building with steel doors is not being "soft" and then there is always my favorite, when someone tries to shoot you, you shoot them first.

Schools, most places of business, shopping malls, gun free zones, etc. = "soft targets"

I saw on Twitter that UNC-CH activated a school lockdown yesterday too. The police searched and didn't find anything.

Hmmm....

All these interesting phrases..... makes me miss the Gallagher comedy shows.

The other overused and stupid media buzz phrase that drives me out of my mind is "boots on the ground"……

Yes, but just like 'active shooter', the media got that stupid phrase FROM the military. I've been hearing the 'boots on ground' crap in the Navy since Mullen volunteered us to help carry the Army's load in Iraq/Afghanistan.

True....just like firefighters use the term 'working structure fire'......I always kind silly since structure fires tend to be somewhat destructive.
We always just called them "burners", sure let everyone know what the situation was

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Which would be adequately described as a "shooter". Once stopped, he isn't shooting anymore.

..almost as over-used as "shelter in place"....

Ooh that should be "active shelter in place", shouldn't it?

Re: "Active shooter" -- People just don't trust unadorned nouns.

This. LOL! Gotta have bells and bows.

All these interesting phrases..... makes me miss the Gallagher comedy shows.

Sledge-O-Matic while funny and made him a lot of money, and killed his career. No new material because people wanted to see him smash fruit instead. He was actually a pretty good comedy writer.

Back