King Schools IFR - Which package to get?

CC268

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
CC268
I am trying to choose between the Written Only or the Written and Checkride Package from King Schools. I got both the Written and Checkride package for my Private and thought it was nice to have, but thought I would see what you guys think.

Thanks.

I did both and thought it was worth every penny...gave me a bit more insight as to what to expect seeing an actual mock oral and practical test and having both the "student" and DPE talking through the whole process. Even though my CFII and I went through both of those, seeing and studying another perspective was helpful to me during my check ride.

Don't regret buying both.

You're taking two different things.

The written is just something to get done with, any of the online practice tests will due, Shepard and dauntless being the bigger names.

To learn the actual material you need to know, King is the gold standard.

King all the way. Working on IR now and went with both the prep and the checkride version. There's a few other little nuggets too.

Sheppard lost me with the need to call to register and with the AOL email address. Maybe content is good, but that gives me little confidence in their delivery and accessibility.

King for the win

Yea definitely going with King just wanted some feedback on the different packages from King...maybe I will go with the Written and Checkride prep

King is great, I've always enjoyed watching John and Martha.

I went with the get it all kit. Overkill? Yes. Do I regret it? Not one bit.

nix the checkride prep from King Schools... I got it and it wasn't as big of a help as my instructor was. And I think some DPE's are on to what John and Martha teach and can tell when you've prepared with that material. Then they have fun handing you rope until you hang yourself.

But the written prep info from them was good. Helped explain many concepts.

I also used Sheppard and the ASA products for the written. Just knuckled down, studied for several days straight with those products, then took the test.

For textbooks, the ones that Wallboy mentioned should be in your library. And I'll add Bob Gardner's "The Complete Advanced Pilot" and "Instrument Flight Training Manual" by Peter Dogan.

And look at you go, @CC268, a year ago you were asking questions about your medical... and now you're cruising cross country, making low passes, and chasing your instrument rating!

For learning I used King and Bob Gardners book.

For the first written I also went to a weekend ground school and listened to Gleim as well as the above.

My written lapsed end of May I used ASA to refresh my memory as well as listening to Gleim. Got a 92.

nix the checkride prep from King Schools... I got it and it wasn't as big of a help as my instructor was. And I think some DPE's are on to what John and Martha teach and can tell when you've prepared with that material. Then they have fun handing you rope until you hang yourself.

But the written prep info from them was good. Helped explain many concepts.

I also used Sheppard and the ASA products for the written. Just knuckled down, studied for several days straight with those products, then took the test.

For textbooks, the ones that Wallboy mentioned should be in your library. And I'll add Bob Gardner's "The Complete Advanced Pilot" and "Instrument Flight Training Manual" by Peter Dogan.

And look at you go, @CC268, a year ago you were asking questions about your medical... and now you're cruising cross country, making low passes, and chasing your instrument rating!

Thanks I think I will go with at least the King Schools Written Prep - I am also reading the Instrument Flying Handbook and the Instrument Procedures Handbook. I will check out the others you mentioned as well. Yea I started my PPL in February and already moving towards the Instrument! :D

Another vote for King from me...I used them for my PPL/Instrument and Commercial. A little corny...but very good. If you stick to their process and do ALL the questions and tests you'll be fine.

I'm taking a bit of time off from flying (haven't flown in almost a month), but I'll probably go back to King for my CFI stuff when the time is right.

Back