King Course Opinions?

Some people can spend hours watching John and Martha in videos and achieve superb learning. Others either doze off or become manic. Only way to find out which group you're in is to try one.

I used the King Course as well. They're goofy ness works for me.

I used the King courses for both PP and IR. They train you to pass the test. Nothing else. And they do that well for me. YMMV.

I found the Kings much better for me than the "live instructor" Jeppesen-based commercial-instrument court I taught. If you can stand John's corny jokes and such, it's pretty effective. I can still hear Martha going "Localizer Darn Angle approach" in my mind. They have a pretty good adjunct drill and kill software to practice the written after you get the base material down. There is also a very good "getaway" chart review video which is a good prep for many things.

I still like Irwin Gleim for the best "drill and kill" to the written, but if you want to get a little knowledge beyond just the written, the Kings aren't bad.

[In the state of disclosure, John and Martha have been to my house once and I have dinner with them subsequently.]

I found the Kings much better for me than the "live instructor" Jeppesen-based commercial-instrument court I taught. If you can stand John's corny jokes and such, it's pretty effective. I can still hear Martha going "Localizer Darn Angle approach" in my mind. They have a pretty good adjunct drill and kill software to practice the written after you get the base material down. There is also a very good "getaway" chart review video which is a good prep for many things.

I still like Irwin Gleim for the best "drill and kill" to the written, but if you want to get a little knowledge beyond just the written, the Kings aren't bad.

[In the state of disclosure, John and Martha have been to my house once and I have dinner with them subsequently.]

Disclosure or humblebragging? :D

I am currently using their IFR videos and I like them.
I had used Gleim for PPL. I like King better.

Thanks for the advice! I bought King IFR and will repost when I have an opinion. So far, I like it a lot.

I was "meh" on the King Course. I've got a deal on the Jepp course when the AOPA summit was in town and liking that better.

Pair it up with Bob's Complete Pilot book and Shepard Air's knowledge course review, and I feel I'll be good to go.

Selection of which course ware is something of a personal choice. Creates discussions similar to comparing Chevy vs. Ford vs. Dodge vs others.

I used the King courses for both PP and IR. They train you to pass the test. Nothing else. And they do that well for me. YMMV.

They definitely do that, though I found that they also imparted good, practical information that goes beyond the exam. I like John and Martha, and used them for my PP and IR, though the instrument training was the Cessna-centric IR book and videos. They can make complex topics seem fairly straight forward. I appreciate that.

I was "meh" on the King Course. I've got a deal on the Jepp course when the AOPA summit was in town and liking that better.

Pair it up with Bob's Complete Pilot book and Shepard Air's knowledge course review, and I feel I'll be good to go.

Selection of which course ware is something of a personal choice. Creates discussions similar to comparing Chevy vs. Ford vs. Dodge vs others.

Mike

Using what you are but also King for bite slices while at work. King worked for me on the PPL so tried it again.

If you can get past their "humor" and Martha's sexiness doesn't distract you, they know their stuff and have a gift for explaining it in a way that sticks.

What bout either Jeppesen online prep, Sportys, or Gleim? My flight school wants to to pick an online ground school program, seems to prefer Jepp, but left the decision up to me. I am not sure which to take for basic private online training.

What bout either Jeppesen online prep, Sportys, or Gleim? My flight school wants to to pick an online ground school program, seems to prefer Jepp, but left the decision up to me. I am not sure which to take for basic private online training.

Jepp material is very very dry. It's comprehensive and very good but do not expect to be entertained. The videos will cure insomnia.

I used King for PP and IR, scored very well on the tests. If I get off my duff and do commercial, I'll likely use them again. As bad as the videos can be somtimes, it is for me far better than reading dry textbooks.

Kings worked great for me. I was sort of amazed that I had learned so much and scored so well on the tests, because you don't fee like you're working with them.

Corny? Yeah, but effective. Plus, the Kings are nice.

I love the King's humor. I managed a 97 on the written and passed the checkride on the first try. Of course other factors were involved but the King IFR videos helped.

They definitely do that, though I found that they also imparted good, practical information that goes beyond the exam. I like John and Martha, and used them for my PP and IR, though the instrument training was the Cessna-centric IR book and videos. They can make complex topics seem fairly straight forward. I appreciate that.

:yeahthat:

I bought Sporty's and Kings videos (VHS) for my PPL studying and checkride preparation. The mock oral and checkride videos (King's) were great! I still enjoy reviewing them from time to time.

John and Martha are the best.

Last edited:
Bought King IFR! Initial Review...

Thought I'd re-post since I bought this course. Overall, so far it rocks! It's so well thought out, and the explanations are so clear. Makes it all fun and easy to remember.

Only one criticism: If you buy the on-line (which I did), buy the Figures and Legends book (1/2 price @ $15...or they gave it to me free when I complained).

Otherwise, you'll spend even more printing 270 pages. Yes, they give you a .pdf. But just try stopping the video every 30 seconds or so, switching apps, and referring to the .pdf. Plus, you can't take notes on a .pdf. If you must use .pdf's, get an iPad so you can display the .pdf while you watch the videos. Otherwise, trust me, it's not usable.

Will post again when I finish. So far, lovin' it, even though my printer ran for hours and jammed up a few times...

Back