King 825HSI "LEG" Mode Failure - Help

Baron2PG

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Baron2PG
My AI/FD acted up and I had the local avionics shop pull it; clean the filter, bench test and reinstall (NTF). I took the plane up for a test flight and my altitude hold wouldn't lock on. They "checked it out" said the "light was out on the annunciator panel"; yeah OK. Anyway, test flew again and the ALT and GS worked as advertised.

However, my KI825 HSI was in course CRS mode when using the Garmin GNS530W GPS as the Nav input. I've never seen this before as this "Leg Mode" only functions when selecting the VOR as the Nav source. When using the GPS for Nav the HSI is always in DTK mode; the left knob does nothing and the blue arrow always points to the DTK. Read both manuals and couldn't find anything to change it back to DTK. During boot the GPS commands a 150 DTK; no go on the HSI, stuck in CRS mode so the left knob sets the 'green pointer' course; only on the HSI anyway. The GPS doesn't "see" this HSI course. Hit the OBS button on the GPS and the GPS OBS Course Select screen pops up per normal; works as it is supposed to on the GPS but again the course CRS line on the HSI isn't tracking.

My avionics shop thus far is clueless. Any idea what may have caused the HSI to revert to the "LEG" mode while in GPS navigation? I was thinking maybe they disconnected something on the HSI. PS. my autopilot is a KFC200.

Help!:idea:

Last edited:
Back