Killer Storms

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
Well I was woken up at 530 this morning to some of the heaviest rain i have ever seen and lightning everywhere. Had to have been the heart of a level 5 or 6. In fact, the storm is still going right now, in Western Illinois and is a HUGE blob of red on radar. Pretty intense stuff. Lots of lightning really close and rain so heavy i could see much more than a couple feet out the window. Then I fell back asleep, ahhh. Looks like another line coming and then clearing out the rest of the day.

I got home from work yesterday about 5:15 or so, and since it was bright and hot, I left the windows down in my truck because I had some errands to run a little later. I ended up taking a nap for about an hour and a half and I awoke to discover it had rained. Then I realized I had left my windows down. :lightning:

heh that always sucks frank. im just hoping my glider trailer didnt blow into a hangar at the airport. i have it chocked and the toungue is tied to a tree. its pretty heavy so i doubt it will move much but the wind sure was whipping hard and it is a big huge weathervane.

I hope it fares well in the winds Tony! My truck will dry out, but I'd sure hate to lose a sailplane! BTW, the weatherman on the radio this morning said a cold front will be moving through this weekend and the hot and humid westerly winds will change to cooler and drier easterly breezes off of the ocean! Boy, I sure hope so! It's been hot hot hot!

well the glider isnt in it right now, it is safe and sound in a T hangar in Ames. had the trailer over here (cedar rapids/iowa city) to help move all my junk back to Ames tomorrow.

Frank Browne said:
the weatherman on the radio this morning said a cold front will be moving through this weekend

That front is supposed to blow thru here tomorrow, about the time I was planning on flying my family CHA => JQF. Looks like another long car drive, though. :(

Bill Jennings said:
That front is supposed to blow thru here tomorrow, about the time I was planning on flying my family CHA => JQF. Looks like another long car drive, though. :(

Poor Bill. Everytime you try to fly to JQF there is something that keeps you from doing so.

Glad everything is ok Tony.

well i dont know that for a fact brook, but havent gotten a phone call from the club yet. im not too worried about it really, had storms blow through yesterday and it didnt move, plus it is pretty toungue heavy and the toung is resting on the ground, no front wheelie dealie, and like i said, chocked and tounge tied to a tree.

HPNFlyGirl said:
Poor Bill. Everytime you try to fly to JQF there is something that keeps you from doing so.

Last time was a sigmet for severe turb over the mountains, this time will likely be too many TS to thread thru.

Just got done with the morning rain/t-storms here. Sounds like more showers possible tonight. At least they are keeping the temp down, a nice 76 degrees here.

Back