killer day today

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
today (saturday) is looking like amazing soaring in Iowa. Im hoping to launch around noon and make it to a different state. Headed southeast. Ive put in at least 12 hrs at the airport the last two days getting the glider ready and there is still a ton of stuff that needs to be done in the morning. the flying is the easy part.

Let us know how it goes Tony,

Too bad we couldn't link up with you somewhere on our way back to Dallas (from Wisconsin) tomorrow <g>

Best,

Dave

well it turned out to be a short day. im still figuring the distance but it was probably around 20 miles. good lift over the airport, and a whole bunch of sink when i set out on course. made it back in time for supper though. made a nice landing though, considering that the entire region is flooded to the extreme.

Attachments

• DSC01121.JPG
    DSC01121.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 19
just did the math. Made it a whopping 16.5 nautical miles. bout 31 kilometers. lol.

just did the math. Made it a whopping 16.5 nautical miles. bout 31 kilometers. lol.

Hmm... So you were hoping to get out of the state... Did you at least make it out of Story County?!

yes i did! just barely i think.

reminds me of one of my first XC's in the glider. Matt's stepson told me it was more like a crosscounty then a crosscountry :rofl:

Hmm... So you were hoping to get out of the state... Did you at least make it out of Story County?!

Well, I did AND back to Story county. And I wasn't even trying!

No really, good try Tony. More than once I've expertly flown between all the thermals too.

You should get a national award for finding that dry grass field in the midst of all this flooding. Amazing and, the farmer was nice too!

A beautiful day.

MM

a great shot of my runway for the day. it really was perfect.

Attachments

• DSC01123.JPG
    DSC01123.JPG
    145.3 KB · Views: 25
Where exactly did you land? I'm wondering if it was one of our farmer's fields.

about a 2 miles north of highway 330 on highway 65. then west maybe a mile. on the south side of the road. I didnt actually meet the owners of the field, just their neighbor who lived across the road. landed directly across from his driveway where he was cutting down a tree, and he never even saw me. its kind of fun to sneak up on people in the glider. there were no tracks in the field. so if it is one of your customers, you need to get out there and spray it. the field is dry.

about a 2 miles north of highway 330 on highway 65. then west maybe a mile. on the south side of the road. I didnt actually meet the owners of the field, just their neighbor who lived across the road. landed directly across from his driveway where he was cutting down a tree, and he never even saw me. its kind of fun to sneak up on people in the glider. there were no tracks in the field. so if it is one of your customers, you need to get out there and spray it. the field is dry.

Ahh.. Ok. I had to google-map it. We spread dry fertilizer over that far, but we don't go that far to spray. Don't talk about fields being dry yet!! I still need another day or two to catch up! Although.. With 87*F and 25mph winds tomorrow, I'm guessing there will be a few people giving it a 'go' on Monday. 'tis the season.

Don't talk about fields being dry yet!!

dont worry, plenty of lakes out there between boone and ames. I (and the farmer) were both amazed at how dry this field was, even in the low spots of the grassy area we were able to drive the tractor and truck/trailer through with nothing but slightly wet tires.

Back