Kids Beating Kids...

K

KennyFlys

I heard about this on the way to an interview yesterday. I was reminded again by another story on a similar event.

As for the first one, why did they do it? They wanted to post a video on Youtube, of course!

8 Teens Arrested In Beating of Lakeland Girl
They threatened to post attack on another girl on the Internet, deputies say.

Eight teenagers have been arrested after filming the brutal beating ofanother teen while threatening to put the video on the Web sites YouTube and MySpace, according to the Polk County Sheriff's Office. The Internet played a central role in the motive behind the crime, two parents said.
Oh yeah, blame their actions on the internet. :rolleyes:

Two Students Beat Up Girl At Southington High

A 14-year-old girl was beaten up in front of a crowd of other students at Southington High School on Monday by two female students who mistakenly believed she had reported an underage drinking party that led to their arrests last week.
It's ok. They were only mistaken. They didn't mean anything by it.

Here's another link I stumbled across from Salon with the video in the page. Beware of the language.

http://machinist.salon.com/blog/2008/04/08/myspace_beating/

As I watched this, I became angry this happen. I just do not understand why one person wants to do this to another. In fact, it wasn't just one, it was six girls doing the beating and two guys standing as lookouts. I kept hoping she would fight back and get in one good swing. But, maybe fear kept her from doing that. I know something about that from my own childhood.

Kenny, is it possible that your life would be better if you didn't dwell on stuff like this?????? Is it possible that our lives would be better if we didn't watch this kind of stuff on the news on TV? :dunno:

Kenny, is it possible that your life would be better if you didn't dwell on stuff like this?????? Is it possible that our lives would be better if we didn't watch this kind of stuff on the news on TV? :dunno:
No argument there. The sad part is it's happening so much, it's nearly as difficult to avoid as a bottle of Coke in Atlanta. I've seen three such stories in just two weeks.

What do you do? Stop listening to the news? I hear all the outrage when there is a small plane crash. But, where's the outrage parents are raising kids who end up doing this? Suddenly, I'm reminded of the scene in Terminator 2: Judgment Day. John and the terminator witnesses two young boys fighting. John says, "We're not gonna make it, are we?" The terminator responds, "It's in your nature to destroy yourselves."

There's far too much truth in that one scene.

She did the right thing. If she would have faught back there would have been 10 other crazy girls swinging. Sometimes you just can't win--the best defense in charged situations like this is getting the hell away. A quick swing and a run for the door might have worked..but it might not have. Avoidance is better yet. You can't win a fight against 10 crazy people.

You know. This does bring back memories. I have known plenty of girls (and still do) that behave exactly like that. I've witnessed females fighting *way* more violently then that.

Last edited:
That's what I was going to say. It may be in the news more these days but I think stuff like this has happened forever.
Perhaps it's not something new happening. But, it is more frequent and more heard of.

Or, is it? How often have you really heard of such plots? I've heard of fights all along. But, where before was making a video the motivating factor? That takes a whole new mindset.

As a puny kid, I got picked on by the same bully all the time. My first and second grade years I was as small as ever. Bunky was his nickname. At the time, it was Bunky could do it and I was an easy target so he did it. Of course, I didn't know at the time most bullies picked on others because they had their own problems. I heard years later he did have a bad home life.

I'm not saying that was his excuse. But, that's a long way from what's happening now such as plotting just to make a video or eight-year-olds plotting to take out a teacher. Fights and beatings aren't new. But, the mindsets and motivating factors seem to have changed drastically.

Where do you think the next step would have been for the girls who set fire to Adam?

He is just trying to get his post count up. He thinks that will make his life better. :D:D:D

No argument there. The sad part is it's happening so much, it's nearly as difficult to avoid as a bottle of Coke in Atlanta. I've seen three such stories in just two weeks.

I'm not convinced yet that the number of incidents themselves is on the rise, but I'm convinced that the coverage of such incidences is on the rise.

The media is in the business of getting your attention and holding it long enough to show you an advertisement. Series TV does it with comedy, drama, romance/sex, or "reality". The news does it by finding stories that will get your adrenals pumping. It's no accident that since Jerry Springer and others started mining the "people behaving badly" vein, the news shows have included this stuff in their coverage. It increases their numbers and revenue.

So - STOP WATCHING TV news. Everything you really NEED to know would probably covered in your newspaper. Get an EAS radio if you're worried about terrorism/war.

I've been so much happier since I changed how I spend my free time - I read this board, I watch some entertaining and informative TV:
  • House
  • MythBusters
  • Dirty Jobs
  • Law and Order
  • Noggin and Discovery Kids (with my daughter)
And I get the News from the Washington Post and the Washington Times (so I get both slants).

I've heard of fights all along. But, where before was making a video the motivating factor? That takes a whole new mindset.
Making a video and putting it on YouTube wasn't possible until fairly recently. Attention-seekers now have a new outlet. But that doesn't mean the good old days were all that good. If something like this had happened 20 years ago it might have been a story in the local news. I guess my point is that I don't think the "good old days" were much better. Things are just more publicized now.

Yes. YouTube and the like. It is now the perp's 15 minutes of fame.

-Skip

People have been beating others for a long time. Heck, in jr high I remember some would schedule fights as not to get caught by the teachers. But never did the idea of creating incriminating evidence come to mind.

Sadly, the guys sound like the stupidest ones in this for not understanding why they get punished for being lookouts. Maybe schools should explain the concept of being an accessory.

There is nothing new here beyond that we actually know about it. I remember being dangled over a bonfire when I was young by a bunch of bullies. They cut and ran when adults showed up, and nothing happened to them, so it was never reported. These days, one of them would have been recording it and posting it, so they'd have been identified and you'd hear about it.

There is something new about this... the way it's being done. The Internet has brought a whole new angle to it. Interesting that this discussion comes up, and then we get this via email from our kids' school today:

Web Bullies Loom As Growing Threat To Kids, Teens Online

Bullying Has Taken On A New Life On The Internet

By Ashley Wilson — March 31, 2008 — What used to take place on the walls of the girls bathroom and on neighborhood playgrounds is now happening via social networking sites, instant messages, chat rooms, blogs and text messages.
While the dynamic between children is much the same, the methods are far different from what many adults experienced growing up. And when it happens over the World Wide Web, the impact on children may be even more severe — in rare cases, to the point of suicide.

Like face-to-face intimidation, cyberbullying involves “mean, negative actions that are usually repeated and often involves a power imbalance,” said Patti Agatston, one of the authors of “Cyber Bullying: Bullying in the Digital Age.” “What is unique about cyberbullying is, what gives you the power is the actual technology.”

Bullying Methods

Whether through instant messages, text messaging, chat rooms, social networking sites or e-mail, the tactics of the cyberbully are familiar variations on timeless tactics of humiliation.

IM’ing, one of the most common means of bullying, allows children to send degrading comments that their targets receive instantly when they’re online. In more elaborate schemes, students befriend their victims for minutes, weeks or months, getting them to share secrets, say personal things or send photographs that the bully can then distribute to classmates as a way to embarrass the target.

The more hurtful bullying often happens on social networking sites.

At least two children have apparently taken their lives after being cyberbullied, cases that briefly brought the problem to light in the media. One was 13-year-old Ryan Halligan, of Vermont, who killed himself in 2003.

“It never crossed my mind,” said John Halligan, Ryan’s father, who has set up an educational and memorial Web site for his son, www.ryanpatrickhalligan.org. “I know kids are mean to each other in this age group. To me, I always thought he was just interacting with friends. Why would he be interacting with anyone else? I felt foolish.”

While traditional bullying seems to peak in the fourth and fifth grades, cyberbullying happens more frequently during the middle school and early high school years, when kids are getting more freedom and access to the Internet.

It is also happening more often among girls than does traditional schoolyard bullying. Twenty-five percent of cyberbully victims are girls, according to a survey taken by Robin Kowalski, another author of “Cyber Bullying” and a professor of psychology at Clemson University.

Bullying 24/7

The fact that you don’t have to face your opponent may lead many young people who would not otherwise become bullies to target other children. When they believe their actions are anonymous and don’t have to see directly how their actions are hurting the victim, it makes the activity seem less serious, experts said.

But the effects are the same. Both students who are bullied and those who act as the bullies have higher rates of depression and anxiety. The students are more likely to carry a weapon to school, as well, Agatston said.

The Internet’s distant and continuous reach can actually give cyberbullying a greater impact on children than traditional bullying.

Warning Signs

• Child is upset after being on computer.

• The computer quickly goes black when you walk by.

• Child spends excessive amounts of time on the computer or telephone.

• Child does not want to go to school or hang out with friends.

What To Do

If parents discover a child is being cyberbullied, they should:

• Use computer and online tools to try to block the bully on e-mail, chat rooms and instant messaging.

• Instruct the child not to open any messages known to be from a bully.

• Try contacting the other child’s parent.

• Report the bullying to that child’s Internet service provider or to the Web site administrator, if it involves specific chat rooms or Web sites.

• If the content is threatening, report the incident to local law enforcement.

• Save the evidence.

To view the full story, click here.

Below is a sample messages sent by a student using AnComm’s ‘Talk About It’ anonymous online reporting service:

Anonymous: HEY I DON''T KNOW IF YOU KNOW ME BUT I WOULD BE ON THE COPUTER AND THIS GIRL POPS UP A MESSAGE SAYING SHE WILL COME TO MY HOUSEAND SLIT MY THROAT WHAT SHOULD I DO I AM REALLY SCARED

Assistant Principal: if this message is being sent to you at your house using some type of internet service.. 1 contact your service provider to have the sender identified.. 2 let your parents look at the message and i suggest they contact local police authorities.. internet harrassment is punishable by law.. you may want to stop by Officer ______'s office, if you need to, come to my office tomorrow and we will talk to him....if you know who the other person is and your parents can contact her parents as well....have you saved the messages from that person for future reference? if i need to get you some more advice let me know

About AnComm's 'Talk About It™'
Developed by AnComm, 'Talk About It' is the nation's first and only anonymous online messaging and emergency notification service for schools. Easy-to-use and implement, 'Talk About It' is a preventative solution focused on bridging the communication gap between students and faculty to foster a safer, more comfortable learning environment. To learn how your educational institution can benefit from AnComm's 'Talk About It' anonymous online messaging service, call 1 (866) 926-2666 or visit their web site at http://www.ancomm.com.

Cyberbullying...sigh. Some people need to realize that the internet isn't real life. Parents would do well to report threats to law enforcement and treat bullying as bullying. "Suck it up, junior, I dealt with it too."

We had the problem in high school too (that is - bullying via the internet), but it was more ferocious, and no one went and killed themselves over it. This is the parent's fault.

The internet, folks, its serious business.

Cyberbullying...sigh. Some people need to realize that the internet isn't real life.

The internet, folks, its serious business.

There was a story today about (another!) "fight club" in a high school that staged and filmed fights in the boys room for display on the internet.

Fight Club Story Link

Sixteen videos of fights were uploaded to the Web site YouTube, Hyatt said. Most of them took place in the high school's restrooms.

Well, h#ll, let's just ban the internet. :hairraise: Or maybe we need internet licenses before you surf. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I know the other law enforcement officers on this site will jump in as well, but I have been a police officer for 26 years. I can tell you this is not something new. It happens all the time, but with being able to post videos on the internet it is catching more attention. It won't stop it from happening, but the video sites should ban these from being posted.

Back