kids Aviation Summer camps

Foxhole

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Foxhole
My 12 y/o found my old flight bag and log book last summer. I hadn't flown in 10+ years.He has gone crazy over the idea of getting his private @ 17. I know the EAA has a kids summer camp program. And the National Flight Academy has a brand new program in Pensacola, Fl. Are there any other aviation based Kids camps? Has anyone sent their kids to one of these? What do they learn? Sitting around making paper airplanes sounds like a waste if that is all they do. I have the usual parent concerns about child safety and security. What do y'all think of for $1250 for 5 days?
Thanks
Foxhole

Last edited:
I went to an aviation summer camp at the University of North Dakota, but that was sometime around 1985. I don't know if they still run a camp.

Sugarbush soaring in VT, does a few every year. CAP has a bunch both gliders and power, but that is a whole nother level of hoop jumping.

Anybody remember Camp Solo in Maine? I begged my parents to let me go there, but it never happened. Never got flying lessons either, had to wait until I was a Senior in college.

In Maine there's ACE Camp. I don't know the finite details but our EAA Chapter annually partially sponsors a young lady or fellow. The young lady who attended last summer recently came to one of our meetings and gave a talk and slide presentation re her experiences at the camp. Her biggest thrill was having her picture taken with, and he autographed the picture, a pilot who flew into Bar Harbor, Maine for one of his many visits to that area. He's known as a really nice guy -- Jimmy Buffet. Renee fully intends to become a pilot and use same status in some field of medicine.

HR

I remember NASA used to do a space camp, and I think Embry Riddle has one as well.

My 12 y/o found my old flight bag and log book last summer. I hadn't flown in 10+ years.He has gone crazy over the idea of getting his private @ 17. I know the EAA has a kids summer camp program. And the National Flight Academy has a brand new program in Pensacola, Fl. Are there any other aviation based Kids camps? Has anyone sent their kids to one of these? What do they learn? Sitting around making paper airplanes sounds like a waste if that is all they do. I have the usual parent concerns about child safety and security. What do y'all think of for $1250 for 5 days?
Thanks
Foxhole
I have two grandsons who attended flight day-camp in Ponca City, OK, the last two years and who plan to go again this summer. Both really enjoyed it, but one was disappointed that year-two was the same as year-one. Now that he is older, he will get into another level and it might be slightly more advanced, but how much can you cover with adolescents?

PS: Grand-dad pays the tuition, so we really believe it is worth it.

Sugarbush soaring in VT, does a few every year. CAP has a bunch both gliders and power, but that is a whole nother level of hoop jumping.

Greg, do you know the folks at Sugarbush? Trustworthy?

Rick H. who is the main cfi is a great guy. I believe he and his wife run the camp. Give him a shout.
Contact info from the website.

Back