Kids and AirVenture

Rob Schaffer

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
CLR2TKF
Well, I'm going to AirVenture this year and I was origionally going by Motorcycle, but, wondering now about maybe taking my daughter Ally. In that case I would have to drive. She loves flying with me, and has been on good behavior at WindWood and Wings FlyBQ,... but both of those offered times away from Aviation in one way or another. (hiking, geocaching)

Not quite sure how she would hold up to multiple days of walking / aviation saturation / heat ..... heck,.. I'm not sure yet how I will :lol:

If I do take her though, its a good chance I could extend my stay (aka, longer approval to be away by the wife).

So, what kid friendly things are offered at Oshkosh / activities / etc. Ally is only 7 yrs old, maybe that's to young and she should go when I return in a few years for my second trip? :wink2:

I think you'd be fine with Ally for a few days, and even longer if you plan on taking some time to do other stuff in and around the area not related to aviation. If the house comes through this year I'll probably bring Ciara for the whole week and have Cath join us for the last few days.

I'd suggest picking a "destination" a day. Kidventure one day, the Seaplane base another day, etc. I think if you try and walk the show end to end most days, you'll wear her down both physically and mentally - she'll be bored and tired - not a good situation.

Schedule downtime every day so she can nap, read, or whatever relaxed activties she likes. Heck, I schedule downtime for me every day - Airventure can be exhausting.

The other thing I would suggest would be that fewer days would be better than more. You need her to have a good time more than you need her to see everything.

You know your daughter better than anyone, but there is plenty to do and see. Make sure she has play time and can decompress (play) .

Make sure you take her by the RVs and show her some real airplanes. ;)

This will be my first time at Osh but I am bringing my 13 year old son.

It'd be nice if you had access to a car. There is a park called "South Park" within a short driving distance. Lots of ducks, a lake, and a playground if I remember correctly. Bring your GPS as I'm sure there are plenty of great spots for Geocache treasures!

Kidventure is definitely on the top of the list though. Lots of airplanes to crawl in and airplane toys to make, even some R/C planes to fly.

Plenty of stuff for kids at Airventure. I brought my teenage son once and he found a girl in the ultralight area and I didn't hardly see him until we left.

Our kids grew up at Oshkosh. We started attending before they were born, and our son is now 21 years old, while our daughter is 18. They know the AirVenture grounds like the backs of their hands, and have been roaming freely there since they turned 13.

Are you camping on the field? If so (and I hope you are -- you won't have seen AirVenture if you're staying off-site, trust me), it's a whole 'nuther level of adventure for kids. Our kids LOVE camping in the North 40 -- there is always something to see or do there. Just make sure your daughter knows about the "whirling Ginsu knives of death", and she'll be fine.

If she's like my daughter, she will love the Fly Mart. There, you can buy everything from an aircraft engine to earrings shaped like little C-172s. Make sure she has some of her own money to blow there.

The EAA Museum is a great change of pace after a few days in the heat. They have a section just for kids that she will enjoy. And by all means take her out to the Sea Plane Base. It's a 15 minute bus ride (the route is well-marked), and it's a whole different world out there. From relentless sunshine and heat, to 100-year old shade trees and water. We always try to hit their fish fry on Friday night -- their Walleye Pike plates are hard to beat.

Spend the money on a ride in the Tri-motor. I took my kids when they were about your daughter's age, and they still talk about it. It's a great way to see AirVenture from above.

If you want to spend all day in the sales buildings (A, B, C, and D), you may want to take her over to the Theater in the Woods, which isn't far away. Spread a blanket, give her a few coloring books, and plunk her down in the shade. You know her best -- she may not be mature enough to be alone that long -- but if you drag her through all the buildings, stopping to look at every aviation gizmo along the way, she won't be a happy camper for long.

If she's like my kids, she's been to a zillion air shows by now, and may not be all that excited with the afternoon performances. Be sure to take her to the night airshow, though -- it's unique enough to even keep my kids' attention, which is really saying something. (They barely glance skyward by Day 3, even with Sean D. corkscrewing straight at the ground...)

There is no sleeping late at OSH, at least not in the North 40. There are daily dawn departures, as the EAA photo ship is taking off with someone to catch the magic early morning lighting. You haven't heard an alarm clock, until you've had a B-25 thunder over your tent at 6:30 AM. Ahhhh, music to my ears.

My advice: Stay the week, and make it an annual tradition. You and your daughter will bond like none other in OSH, mostly because you are a different you when you're there. Oshkosh is a magical place that only exists for a brief few days every year, and every pilot deserves to experience it.

Back