Kidney Stone Question

U

Unregistered

Initial kidney stone event ever in Feb. 09 - Non- contrast CT scan indicated 2 mm stone remaining in mid pole of one kidney and a suggestion of possibly a couple of tiny (1/2 mm, 1 mm) in the other kidney in addition to the 2 to 3 mm stone being passed. 6 month followup contrast and non-contrast CT scan shows the 2mm stone remaining but no mention of the others. Is this condition disqualifying for a class 3 medical? I don't want to take a chance on blowing the LSA option

It may not disqualify you for a 3rd class medical but it could and will make a class 3 medical difficult to get.

My only expertise in the matter is that I had a student that was diagnosed with a kidney stone about 3 years before starting training. This was when she was pregnant and other than some symptoms while pregnant she had had no other symptoms before or after her pregnancy. She ended up telling the medical examiner about it and as a result had to get an X-Ray. The X-Ray showed that the stone was still there, and a second X-Ray confirmed it. She was able to get a special issuance medical and soloed. She needed to renew the medical after 1 year. I don't think she has done this as she hasn't flown in about a year, I know the medical isn't the only reason she hasn't been flying there were other circumstances as well.
Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

You need to get rid of that 2mm stone- ask your urologist (yes, you need to see one) about a lithotrypsy or a basket removal, UNLESS he can call it "nephrocalcinosis", in which the 2 mm stone is now incorporated into the lining of the tube and therefore will NOT pass. A letter saying that, will also get you certified.

The essence of what brcase is saying is that you CAN certifiy with a small stone if there is a scientific reason why your urologist can say it WILL NOT PASS. In the case he secondhand cites, it was stable for a year. If you have at LEAST a year's interval and the doc's letter, that will get you a year by year special issue, requiring that each year it be the same.

Go to the below link.....

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back