Kidney stone 12 years ago

A

Anonymous

I'm nearing the point that I need to go get a 3rd class medical. I'm currently 45, in good health and am not currently taking any medications. I did have a 4mm stone that I passed 12 years ago. No occurrences of kidney stones since that time. How will this affect my getting the medical and what kind of DR's notes will the AME require? I also live on a different coast than I did at that time so communications with the Dr's office that treated me back then will not be all that easy.

Current plan is to get the 3rd class medical and then go basic med after that.

Do you have any records (X-ray or CAT) from the event that show no stones retained after the last one passed?

If you don't have that record, you will likely need to get Kidney/Ureter/Bladder (KUB) X-ray to prove you don't have any current stones. You'll likely need to pay out-of-pocket since most insurance won't cover this - medically unnecessary. Call around to get cash pricing (seriously), it shouldn't be that much. If you do have current stones, it gets more complicated. You'd need another X-ray 90+ days later that shows they aren't moving, and a urologist statement that they are stable and unlikely to move/cause a problem.

My history of kidney stones is why I went Basic Med. I could get a 3rd class now, but it just isn't worth it.

Ask your AME before submitting your application. My AME said that since it had been more than 10 years since my last kidney stone, it was not an issue and issued my 3rd class medical. Note that I did a consult with him before submitting my application so I knew he would sign off when I did submit. Do not risk a denial! Know the answer from your AME ahead of time!

This is the checklist the AME is supposed to follow. If you only had one stone, ever, then you may not need anything else, but as posted above, call the AME to verify.
https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...e/guide/media/kidneystonedispositiontable.pdf

Based on this, it looks like the magic date is five years - stone passage more than five years ago, and KUB confirms no retained stones, it's OK to issue. So, I have two suggestions...

1. Call your Urologist and set up an appointment for a KUB. My recollection from having had a stone pass ages ago, is that if there are retained stones, they have to be less than 2mm for the FAA to permit you to fly. Maybe Dr. Chien or Dr. Fowler will chime in. Hopefully the Urologist will write a letter confirming no retained stones. Be sure the letter specifies the date the KUB was done (it should be recent).
2. Call your AME before you submit your MedXpress form and set up a consultation (not a flight physical), and find out what the AME will need to issue on the spot. Ask them whether, if you have any retained stones, it's OK as long as they're less than 2mm. As noted above, the last thing you want is a deferral.

Like Jeff, because of my history with a kidney stone, I went to Basic Med.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back