Kiddos to Oshkosh

labbadabba

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
labbadabba
Thinking of flying up for my first time and camping under the wings of a trusty 172RG.

Would be myself, my pop (72 years young), and my 6 y/o girl.

Staying at the Y might also be an option, haven't yet decided.

One concern I have, is there enough kid stuff going on to occupy a kiddo for three days? While I know my dad and I would get a kick out of looking at warbirds all day I want to make sure the trip is enjoyable for all ages.

I've taken her to airshows in the past and she does okay but eventually she just wants to hit the bouncy house...

Short answer is Yes!

Friend of mine flew his wife and three young girls (middle one is about the age of your daughter) to Oshkosh for the first time last year. Had the same concern.

Instead, they never ran out of things to do. Spent one whole day at KidVenture, and the girls wanted to go back for more. Night airshow, camping with the plane, going to see the ultralights were some of the other things they mentioned they liked (I hauled some of their camping gear in my Aztec so I saw them several times during the show). They couldn't stay the whole week, I think they left Thursday.

Last weekend they were in the hangar while Dad was fussing with the airplane. I told them Daddy must be getting the plane ready to go back to Oshkosh. That idea met with great approval from them, but I'm in my friend's bad books now. :)

Camp with the airplane. It's the only way to do it. Your Dad and your daughter will have a blast. Don't hesitate, just do it.

Short answer is Yes!

Friend of mine flew his wife and three young girls (middle one is about the age of your daughter) to Oshkosh for the first time last year. Had the same concern.

Instead, they never ran out of things to do. Spent one whole day at KidVenture, and the girls wanted to go back for more. Night airshow, camping with the plane, going to see the ultralights were some of the other things they mentioned they liked (I hauled some of their camping gear in my Aztec so I saw them several times during the show). They couldn't stay the whole week, I think they left Thursday.

Last weekend they were in the hangar while Dad was fussing with the airplane. I told them Daddy must be getting the plane ready to go back to Oshkosh. That idea met with great approval from them, but I'm in my friend's bad books now. :)

Camp with the airplane. It's the only way to do it. Your Dad and your daughter will have a blast. Don't hesitate, just do it.
Me, my wife, and our 3yo and then 4yo the next year went and camped under the wing. She had lots of fun, with the shows, music, there are a couple kids areas, we watched the movie at the outdoor theater. She's pretty easy going though. We'll probably be back.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Lots of kids at Oshkosh. We've watched kids of friends grow up over the years, boys and girls. My son went one year when he was about ten. We put him in his own tent and would give him lunch money at the beginning of the day and we never saw him again until dinner time. The good news is it's hard for them to get in trouble at the show.

One of my favorites was a girl who used to come with her father every year and volunteer with us. She missed last year for the first time probably since she was a toddler. She was too busy being Miss Rodeo Queen USA the past year.

My wife had the same concern about running out of things to do. Having been to Oshkosh before, and she had never gone it was hard for me to convince her of just how big, how many activities there are and things to do. After her first visit, she got it. My daughter loved Kid Venture, and would spend a solid 2-3 full days there. We went for the college dorms downtown, a quick 10bus ride to the field. My family wanted a roof over our heads, and real bathrooms. Trust me you never run out of things to do, rather you run out of time.

Back