Kid to Camp in a jet!

SCCutler

Administrator
Management Council Member
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Spike Cutler
Nightline did a feature tonight about a family, took their kid from home in Connecticut to camp in Maine, in a chartered jet. A bit much? 249 miles.

I picked Tommy up from band camp in a Bonanza... not quite the same, is it? :D

Good grief; people with more money than sense.

I got picked up from band camp in a station wagon...

We shall have to report you, for aggravated abuse of a child!

"A Bonanza, your honor! Of all the nerve!"

It was a Beech Jet for the kid's trip to camp.

$8000. + 225 for the peanut butter sandwiches.

Well, let's hope that was crunchy peanut butter - that would certainly justify the cost :rolleyes:

I was referring to Spike's unhealthy treatment of poor and deprived Tomster, flying him in a Bo when he really deserves a Lear. (not the linked story)

Hey, you are all envious.... me too. Can anyone here say that IF you already had the jet (and no other plane available) you wouldn't fly the little crumbgrabber to camp? This isn't so much about spoiling the kid as it is spoiling the parents.

-Skip

Well, what would you rather do, drive 6 hours in a car, or less than one hour in a jet (or 2 hours in a 172)?

Big deal. May not be the best mission profile for a jet, but face it, we would all fly a plane 249 miles than drive a car. They just took a jet.

Hey, you are all envious.... me too. Can anyone here say that IF you already had the jet (and no other plane available) you wouldn't fly the little crumbgrabber to camp? This isn't so much about spoiling the kid as it is spoiling the parents.

-Skip

I probably would. What I would NOT do is what one guy did in the town next to ours. He bought his HS age kid a house. The reason for this purchase was that there was a shortage of parking spacing at the kids HS and the house was just next door to the HS, so his kid now had a place to park.

I picked Tommy up from band camp in a Bonanza... not quite the same, is it? :D

You're right, Spike. It's not quite the same. What you did is WAY COOLER. You flew the plane with your son in the front seat, they just rode in the back of a chartered Jet.

Camp? What camp?

I thought summer camp was getting up early and going to work with my Dad.....you mean carrying shingles up a ladder and stacking lumber wasn't camp?????

DANG!!!!! :eek:

Quite right Troy; also, could not have gotten a jet into there, as the strip is only 2500'.

-Skip

In this case it was a charter. The reason they hired the jet was kinda unclear other than giving the kid one more adventure.

They said they would be driving back. Driving OUT and back and the end of the week, I bet.

It was 24n miles. They prolly couldda drove that the in the time it takes to arrange and board an airliner. Even GA has a hard time being faster at distances of that length. If you've ever seen how long it takes me...

If you really want to talk about waste of money for kids there was a recent article on our local paper about HS graduation. In addition to all the extravagant parties and gifts that are now being lauded upon HS graduates, the number one ask for gift for girls will surprise you.

It seems the top asked for gift from HS girls is breast implants. Forgive but if that is the thing they think they need then mom and dad did a pretty lousy job of raising their kids.

Camp must be an Eastern or MidWestern thing... Growing up in the West, I do not know of a single person who "went away to camp" for any period of time, other than BoyScout or Girl Scout camp (for a week). So this whole concept of going to camp is foreign to me.

Heck, all we had to do was tell my mother we were going camping down at the river for a few days... and we went, by ourselves... no big deal. (Of course she would come down once a day to check on us...) I guess that was our "camp"...

But I do appreciate what a big business it is- a good friend of mine owns a trucking company which ONLY ships kid's bags to camp, and then back home again... He does well enough that he can take winter's off to teach skiing with us in Vail!

Wow..that's cool, I wanna go :( . Why didn't they have these kinds of camp when I was a kid? :dunno:

Yeah I know. They didn't have these cool camps when I was a kid either, well other than space camp. My cousin got to go to space camp and I didn't. :(

Band Camp? Band Camp?......I will resist the temptation to comment. It is soooo difficult grrrrrrr

Ho-hum.

I know at least one corp. executive that used to fly in the back of his G-IV from San Antonio to College Station to attend a football game.

That's way less than 250 miles.

Camp? What camp?

I thought summer camp was getting up early and going to work with my Dad.....you mean carrying shingles up a ladder and stacking lumber wasn't camp?????
Sure it was! It was Construction Camp. You were truly a trendsetter.

Ho-hum.

I know at least one corp. executive that used to fly in the back of his G-IV from San Antonio to College Station to attend a football game.

That's way less than 250 miles.

Lordy, it is hard to imagine that you'd actually save any time with this itinerary... but God bless 'em for doing it!

Lordy, it is hard to imagine that you'd actually save any time with this itinerary... but God bless 'em for doing it!

Especially when the corporate pilot was called back from Port A to make the flight.

Sometimes it's all about image. Especially when you're playing with other people's money.

Especially when the corporate pilot was called back from Port A to make the flight.

Sometimes it's all about image. Especially when you're playing with other people's money.

In "Barbarians at the Gate" they showed how Johnston(?) of Nabisco flew the German Shepherd Dog, Codename: Mr. Shepherd, back in the otherwise empty Gulfstream because the dog wasn't happy in California, and then one of the reasons he did the private buyout was so he didn't have to deal with a board or stockholders complaining about how he used the jet.

When I was doing full time charter, you would be amazed on how many runs I did to take kids to camps. I even went to CT one night at 2am to pick a kid up that called her parents to come and get her because she didnt like it there. It was hard to be nice that night.

There's ninety-nine bottles of beer on the wa.....

Oh, we're there?

Hah! My brother used to work for an "exclusive" caterer in Boston - had the Signature, Jet, and Millionair contracts at BOS, BED, and BDL.

Larry Ellison was at BOS, and wanted some pretzels. $100 delivery fee (to get on the BOS tarmac), $75 facility fee (to the FBO), $100 rush fee, $25 for the pretzels, 20% gratuity, brought the grand total to just over $400 for three large bags of pretzels.

Some people . . .

Cheers,

-Andrew

Hah! My brother used to work for an "exclusive" caterer in Boston - had the Signature, Jet, and Millionair contracts at BOS, BED, and BDL.

Larry Ellison was at BOS, and wanted some pretzels. $100 delivery fee (to get on the BOS tarmac), $75 facility fee (to the FBO), $100 rush fee, $25 for the pretzels, 20% gratuity, brought the grand total to just over $400 for three large bags of pretzels.

Some people . . .

Q. What's the difference between Larry Ellison and God?

A: God doesn't think he's Larry Ellison. :rofl:

Who the heck is Larry Ellison? :confused:

OK I looked him up. I was thinking he was some kind of sports figure. Sounds like a NASCAR driver....

On the subject of catering for corporate airplanes, I've always thought that this would be a profitable enterprise. I've seen some pretty stunning catering bills.

snip

A: God doesn't think he's Larry Ellison. :rofl:

copyright notice required ... book available at your local bookstore ... :) I only worked for the guy for 6 years ... never got a ride on the America's cup boat, never got to fly any of the jets ... :mad:

copyright notice required ... book available at your local bookstore ... :) I only worked for the guy for 6 years ... never got a ride on the America's cup boat, never got to fly any of the jets ... :mad:

Or the biplane!

Back