kid in the right seat

GeorgeC

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
GeorgeC
Typically, how old do kids have to be before they fly in the right seat instead of the back?

Depends on the kid, mine started at about 5, I think. Definitely after they are potty trained! :yes:

Typically, how old do kids have to be before they fly in the right seat instead of the back?

I was 4 when my great uncle put me in the right seat of a 206 on floats and gave me my first stick time.:lol: Normally when I have a kid aboard once they are old enough to express an interest and desire, I put them up front and the parents in the back. Helps move the CG aft to improve /fuel efficiency/speed, plus parental units get some "back seat time" with the kid occupied looking the other way.;)

I was 5ish when my dad would put me in a car booster seat so that I had a little bit better chance of seeing over the panel.

3 weeks for ours. It's easy with the beech throwover yoke. With a yoke on the right side, check for clearance with both the car seat and the reach of the kid's feet.

If my memory serves me right, I flew on my dad's lap at quite a young age (5?). The only memory that stuck with me was flying through a cloud.

I was about five when I first flew in the right seat and got to hold the yoke for a bit.

About 4 months for us. As Jeff said, just make sure they can't kick the yoke....

There's no right seat in a Cub, but my five year old has flown in the front, and even for a little stick time.

My daughter at 8 years old....

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2015-May-23 14h36m39s (1).JPG
    2015-May-23 14h36m39s (1).JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 144
I have no kids, but on a Lifeline Flight, I had a 4-6yr old in the front seat while his mom rode in back. Both fell asleep about 20 minutes into the flight.

I have no kids, but on a Lifeline Flight, I had a 4-6yr old in the front seat while his mom rode in back. Both fell asleep about 20 minutes into the flight.

Reminds me of my youngest first ride in the Waco. She's 4. Put her in the front with her sister. Shortly after takeoff I asked the oldest how her sister was doing....she quickly informed me the 4 year old was sound asleep.

My 2 y/o flew my 150 with me hands off for several minutes about two weeks ago. That was her first time up front. She's been in the back of the 172 many times (straight to sleep), but it was too nice not go up a couple weeks ago and the 150 hadn't been fired up for a while, so that's what we did.

I was pleasantly surprised at how much she liked it. She was banking left and right 20, 30 degrees and giggling with glee. She likes to aggressively pitch up and down, too, to get that "tickle in her tummy."

Very, very sad when I told her we had to land.

Again, 2 y/o.

Last edited:
my kids were like that too at that age, they'd call out "DAD, DO THE UP & DOWN, DO THE UP & DOWN!". I'd tell them "we better not, mommy is with us today."

My 3 year old flies right seat whenever we go alone. he loves it. I should put a booster seat in there so he can see out a little better.

My 3 year old flies right seat whenever we go alone. he loves it. I should put a booster seat in there so he can see out a little better.

Booster seat not only to improve the view, but the fit of the shoulder strap as well.

My wife was 6 months pregnant and rode in the front seat. So I had a 6 month old fetus in the front seat. To little to reach the yoke.

Last edited:
Back