Kid friendly trips from Chicago?

mbieweng

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Mike
Hi All... I'm looking for some fun places to fly with my kids (age 6 and 10) that are within easy range of Chicago (let's say 50-300 nm).

Of course, the hidden agenda is to promote the idea that "airplane=fun" and build towards longer trips. :)

Being kids, they are usually not too excited about restaurants or most museums.

Otherwise, I'm interested in any ideas at all. Camping (any suggestions?)....waterslides (KDLL).... whatever. It could be a day trip, overnight, or weekend.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Have you looked into Door County? Camping by fish creek?

Wisconsin Dells sounds like just the ticket, or Mall of America.

my kids love machinac island. But it isn't a cheap outing.

I know you said no museums, but would they be interested in the Air Force museum in Dayton? You can climb into the old AF1 707 and a bunch of other stuff.

Well, if you come August 19-24, my town (KMTW) has a county fair that I'm sure your kids would love. And if you like deep fried everything, you'll love it too :D Only drawback would be you would have to take a taxi or ride the city bus to get there, the fairgrounds are probably 4 miles away from the airport and there aren't any courtesy cars at the airport anymore.

Green Bay (KGRB) has Bay Beach wildlife sanctuary and a small amusement park right across the street from each other, it would be good for a day trip. I know executive air has courtesy cars, jet air probably does too. There are a couple of waterpark hotels in Green Bay too if you're staying overnight.

The Dells for shorter trips, Cedar Point in Ohio for a little longer trip.

Have you looked into Door County? Camping by fish creek?

Not coming from me, but my GF lived there. She says Ephraim airport is about two miles from the beach. If you can fit bikes in your plane it is a good area for that and there is apparently a store called the Confectionary that all kids love and an ice dream shop called Wilson's that is over 100 years old and also has a restaurant.

If you go about 4 miles south from KDLL you can spend the day at Devils Lake state park. Lots of good hiking and rock climbing there.

Same for KSFY --> Mississippi Palisades

Thanks everyone for all of the ideas! That will be a good list to start with. :)

Feel free to continue adding to the thread if you have other ideas.

Going the other way, the 'Indiana Dunes Lakeshore' area is nice. You'd have to get yourself from one of the airports to the beach though.

Cheap outing? Chetek, Wisconsin. Y23. The town is a resort type area. The beach is within walking distance. There are waterskiing competitions in the summer. The A/D building has free bicycles to borrow and there is a crew car.

The hangars and ramp areas are somewhat confusing and not interconnected so all you need to know is the A/D building on the north end of the runway.

If your kids are into watching racing, Blackhawk Farms raceway is just over in Beloit and there's a 2000' grass runway right at the track. I know during the CCS motorcycle race weekends you can camp at the track for free, I'd assume you could during the car races too but you'd probably want to call them to find out.

Back