Kickstarter campaign to become a Pilot

Darron, something else....

Please be aware that we're not beating you up about your desire to fly or joining our community. We want you here and admire your desire to earn your wings.

So please stick with us, and participate in our frivolity as you see fit.

The link on that page for flight training takes you here:

http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/flight_training.asp

As I've said already, it depends what benefit you use, and how you use it.

Assuming that he's genuine (not scamming people for $6,000-$20,0000), he appears to have:

• Put very little effort into researching his veteran's benefits, and seems to still be ignorant to what's available
  • Put very little effort into researching his options for web hosting, which is a major selling point of his endeavor (despite the numerous, and far more qualified, how-to-become-a-pilot resources).
  • Put very little effort into his Kickstarter page. For $20,000, at least bother to proofread your page. (His introductory sentence is "Hello, my name is Darron and i want to become a Pilot.") This isn't a text message. It's a plea for 20k.
  • For some inane reason, finds 'I've been to Afghanistan' relevant to his quest for a handout
I'm not being a jerk just to be a jerk. I'm all about helping people out in this industry. The barrier to entry is high, and a lot of really deserving and passionate people never get to do it. We're all lucky, if for no more than to live in a country where flying is accessible to the common person.

I also willfully acknowledge how significant private assistance within our community is. Good mentorship, dedicated and enthusiastic instruction, taking people flying, giving people a way to log time without expecting to be paid or fully reimbursed, lending books and supplies, etc. Those kinds of things can be absolutely crucial to a new pilot, or someone aspiring to be one. I have received many of the above, and I try to pay it forward when I have the opportunity. We all should.

There are many wonderful aviation-related programs and organizations that deserve donations. Youth programs (like Young Eagles), Cloud 9 Rescue Flights, Angel Flight, and many more.

There are many aspiring pilots who are willing to make huge sacrifices to reach their dream, and are also deserving of assistance.

To put so little effort into an endeavor and still expect to be handed $20,000 rubs me the wrong way.

"Funding period Jul 16 2014 - Aug 15 2014(30 days)"

trying to raise $20,000 in 30 days!?! wow! so, how about instead of beating this poor guy up, who probably didn't really put too much thought into this approach, let's let his backers do the talking for him. should be a good learning experience.

Hi Darron,

Have you thought about OCS? Go get a degree (if you don't already have one) and apply for a Pilot Slot. They will pay for your training or at least may be able to help out with it.

As a 25 yr old rated pilot.... I am still and will still be paying off my student loans for many years. Of which many went towards my flight training at both Western Michigan University: College of Aviation and Embry Riddle Aeronautical University. It is very possible for $20k to be the cost of PPL... that is if you are training at a University. Look at other, local and small flight schools. It can be much less expensive, most likely averaging around $9k - $10k depending on how quickly you learn and are able to complete the program.

Instead of asking for hand-outs, donations, etc. or via crowd-funding... your best best for achieving this dream and goal is to put-in work hard and live frugally, like all other pilots. I would suggest looking at part-time or work-from-home opportunities. Things you can do outside of your normal work hours and are able to fit into your family schedule. If you are handy/crafty, artistic, know how to fix computers, etc. These are all things that can be used to make the money you need. A few hours per week with these sort of things can help net you a couple hundred bucks. This would surely help to pay for flight costs, equipment costs, ground-school, Medical, FAA Exams, books, etc.

I'm sure you have the determination and drive to make your dream a reality. Hell, start selling the materialistic non-necessities that you may have gathered over the years from living, spouse, children, etc. Have a project muscle car or other hobby? Get rid of it, because as you know already -- once you have the thrill of flight in your blood....it will never leave.

I'll leave off my rant with a personal story of how I was able to afford flight training and college tuition, without any scholarships, etc.

Anecdote: I used to build adirondack chairs (outdoor wooden chairs) and paint them with custom or cool designs for people. Cost to build and paint: $75.00. Sold for: $300.00 each or $500 for a pair. I built and sold around 40 chairs before I became too busy to continue with my full-time class schedule, 6 flights/week and working part-time at random small jobs. Also, during my 2nd year of college I started a small exterior residential painting business. Walked around neighborhoods knocking on doors asking if they wanted a free quote for painting their house, deck or just power-washing it. I'd measure square footage, estimate costs of primer/paint, materials and labor. I would net around $2500-$5500 after material expenses and paying my small team of 3 painters. Other overheads were very small as I borrowed an uncle's truck, had extension ladders, drop cloths, paint brushes, etc. Hell, I'd charge ~$1,500 to power-wash the house and/or deck and do light cleaning around their properties. As my family had a power-washer, the only overhead was transportation costs to the property. It would take me about 8-12 hours to do, but was a quick $1500 for little work effort. During my 3rd year in college, still with full time schedule, part-time job and flying 6 days a week -- I also repaired computers for people and even a few smalll businesses, installed TV and Audio entertainment systems that I consulted them on purchasing. Using deals I found online, etc. I was able to even have a small 5%-10% margin on reselling new stuff to customers. This would allow me to make between $50-$500+ for just a few hours of work with little to no overhead requirements.

Relying on the generosity of strangers is something that will surely put you back from developing a solution to meet your needs and may only keep you from getting closer to your goals and dreams.

Best of Luck and Happy Landings.

Last edited:
Hmm. Maybe I should try this so I can finish my CFI that I have been working on for several years. On second thought, maybe I will be an adult and wait until I can afford to fly, raise a family, etc.

P.S. and other helpful info - Embry Riddle Aeronautical University has an online based campus "ERAU: Worldwide" - which allows qualified individuals. Transfer students with good marks and just about any and all Military Enlisted or Commissioned Officers are accepted into their school. This is the #1 aviation university in the world. Tuition costs and flight costs are not cheap.... but they help a ton with prior or current military members. I believe they are one of the top universities for current/ex-military members to enroll.

Use your G.I. Bill to pay for a degree, join their AFROTC detachment or other AFROTC detachment near you. Use available funds to pay for ground-school and flight costs via a non-university flight school. (it will save you tons). Then, when you received your PPL -- use G.I. Bill to pay for IFR, Commercial, MEI, CFI, CFII, etc. -- if you are able to.

Look into the College of Southern Nevada. I believe that it is a public school with an associates in aviation with a professional pilot track that will take you through commercial. Your GI Bill will pay 100% of your flight training including private if it is part of a degree program.

Aww man! I thought it was such a good idea that I was going to start kick starter so I could fund his kickstarter

Back