Kickstarter campaign to become a Pilot

Why don't you use the GI Bill to pay for your training?

It drives me absolutely crazy when people flaunt their military service for sympathy points.

I'm curious as to why you're asking for $20,000, I would guess the typical cost is somewhere between $6,000 and $8,000.

Hate to tell you, but you're almost definitely not going to get any handouts from this forum (or any forum for that matter). While we all know how hard it is to pay for flight training, figuring out how to pay for it and finding sufficient funds is an entire aspect of flying. Plus, we've got our own flying to pay for!

There's a post like this about once a month trying to get others to help out with their expenses, and unless the person has REALLY extenuating circumstances, the person never raises any funds.

Your best bet is to apply for flight training scholarships (ones that are already established) or continue to save money towards your dream. By the way, $20K is far more than you need to get a PPL.

And at that, flying is still very expensive once you get your certificate. Perhaps it's best if you just wait until you have the time and money.

Very good question, thank you. The price has many factors. The amount of hours needed minimum to obtain a license is 40, but could take up to 65 according to my flight school. I was quoted that the cost would be $10,000-$12,000 once all is said and done. Also included in the cost is the price of the webpage creation and maintenance. Additionally, kickstarter charges 5% of the cost. On top of that, Amazon business which the payment is processed through takes their 5% as well.

Wow, I'm in the wrong business. Thousands of dollars to create and maintain a simple Kickstarter web page and a blog?

Part of flight training we all go through is being able to do simple calculations rapidly and accurately. 10% of $12,000 (your stated overhead) is $1200. That means you're budgeting a MINIMUM of $6800 for the web pages. Don't play us for fools.

Very good question, thank you. The price has many factors. The amount of hours needed minimum to obtain a license is 40, but could take up to 65 according to my flight school. I was quoted that the cost would be $10,000-$12,000 once all is said and done. Also included in the cost is the price of the webpage creation and maintenance. Additionally, kickstarter charges 5% of the cost. On top of that, Amazon business which the payment is processed through takes their 5% as well.

A blog is free. As others have said, what are you planning on doing with the other $6,800?

Ive done my research, and the VA clearly says, "You must have a private pilots license and valid medical certification before you start training."

http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/post911_gibill.asp

I thought kickstarter was to raise money for inventions or businesses, not for personal use for hobbies and such.

I find your first post and this whole concept absolutely dispicable. I am also a member of the military and, as many other military personnel have done, found a way to pay for my own training. You clearly are soliciting these funds based on your association with the military, which might I add, is against the Uniform Code of Military Justice.

Regarding the GI Bill. You can use it for initial training, but you will have to skip private and get your commercial. Not a problem, the GI Bill will cover almost all of it and you will have more hours and a higher rating.

$20,000 is greedy and absolutely ridiculous. Is there not an Air Force Aero Club on your base? Even outside of an Aero Club you are not going to spend $20,000 for private. You are trying to take advantage of your situation and I seriously hope you rethink what you are doing.

"You must have a private pilots license and valid medical certification before you start training."

Source: The link you just posted.

I think you're looking at the wrong link.

Note "Full tuition and fees are paid directly to the school for all public school in-state students."

Please click on the flight training link. In there it'll tell you that you must first have a private pilots certificate.

It depends what benefits you use, and how you use them.

I contacted a local web developer, informed them of my intentions and needs and was given a quote, it was not free.

Again, you can get a blog for free.

I find your first post and this whole concept absolutely despicable. I am also a member of the military and, as many other military personnel have done, found a way to pay for my own training. You clearly are soliciting these funds based on your association with the military, which might I add, is against the Uniform Code of Military Justice.

I don't get that from his post at all. But $20K for CPL/IR not too far from reality.

Darron -- If you really want your private license bad enough, why not push the pause button on training, and then get out into the workforce for a second and third part time job and save money up the old fashioned way? Being a 10-year enlisted, now a Staff Sargeant, you should be very familiar with motivating others to high productivity. Now is a great time to apply it to yourself.

If your service prevents you from going out to get a pizza delivery job or flipping burgers, then figure out how to start something from home, like scavenging local garage sales for items that would sell well on eBay (sporting goods, collectibles, baby gear, etc).

What I am getting at is that you will be much more successful and a whole lot sooner if you get out of the cave, go hunt down something profitable, kill it, and drag it home versus sitting on the sofa waiting for handouts.

I don't get that from his post at all. But $20K for CPL/IR not too far from reality.

OP wasn't trying for CPL/IR, just PPL, for $20,000. If I'm going to give money to another pilot for them to fly, they have to meet 2 criteria. 1 - I'd have to value their flying more than my own flying. 2 - I'd have to value their flying more than every single other aspiring pilot, in order for me to choose them. He's 0 for 2. OP I wish you the best, but my best advice is either go the GI Bill route, or save up until you can afford it. Cut out unnecessary expenses in order to fund your flying. A SSG makes decent pay.

I can't blame ya.
After that dude got $20k to write a potato salad recipe from kickstarter... He did that as a joke and made bank fast.

I am not surprised anyone for seeing what they can do with it.
I don't see anything in the kickstarter site that is leveraging military experience.

So here's a question if we can spin this thread a bit.
We can't get paid to fly. But lets say I wanted a kickstarter campaign to raise money for AvGas, would that be legal?

Is the payment strictly about carrying pax and cargo?

I was informed that you "needed" to have your private before you could go for your commercial.

That is correct. Private pilot (or PPL as we often abbreviate) is the gateway to additional ratings.

A blog is free. As others have said, what are you planning on doing with the other $6,800?

http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/post911_gibill.asp

The link on that page for flight training takes you here:

http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/flight_training.asp

Which pretty clearly says what the original poster claims:

VA offers flight training benefits to those who want to advance their pilot qualifications. You must have a private pilots license and valid medical certification before you start training.

Of course, one out would be to enroll in a degree program at a college that has an aviation program. If you have illusions of getting a job, you may find not having a college degree (in anything) a handicap.

I understand not everyone thinks the OP is using his military service for sympathy. That is an opinion of mine. What is not an opinion is the UCMJ states a service member may not refer to his office, title, position, or authority when soliciting funds. If you want to solicit, go ahead, it's legal, just don't do it in uniform and do not make any reference to your military service.

That is correct. Private pilot (or PPL as we often abbreviate) is the gateway to additional ratings.

Incorrect. I hold a commercial license and have never been a private pilot. Private is not required for commercial.

Man, he actually discusses that after his "a little about me" comment.
He also mentions he has children and is married.

I as a married with kids pilot, never felt he was exploiting his children to pander for money.

I would assume anyone in the military would include that information int he "a llitle about me" section.

I'm giving new posters a break. We're getting too arrogant.

Looking again at the kickstarter page, Darron (the OP) has promised the following for a $1000 donation

My spidey sense says this may violate the FAR regarding flying for hire as a private pilot. Agree?

Attachments

• kickstart.JPG
    kickstart.JPG
    21.1 KB · Views: 165
Incorrect. I hold a commercial license and have never been a private pilot. Private is not required for commercial.

Can you share how you accomplished that? I was always told the way I explained it.

FAR reference would be appreciated.

Looking again at the kickstarter page, Darron (the OP) has promised the following for a $1000 donation

My spidey sense says this may violate the FAR regarding flying for hire as a private pilot. Agree?

I would like to get Rons take. This seemed like a grey area (I bet the FAA doesn't think so) but i am curious to see how it fits into compensation, common goal, etc since it would technically be a free sightseeing flight after the PPL is earned and the money was donated prior to student being able to be PIC.

What's the scoop Ron?

I also would like to hear Capt.Ron's take.

But I look at it not as a donation, but pre-payment since the payor is receiving something of value in exchange for handing over the simoleons.

Bryan, so if you remove the miliary service blurb from his post, what makes him any more deserving than any other aspiring pilot? How much did you donate? Your advice about getting out of the cave and EARNING more money is spot on. That is what I did, and still do, not one cent of my Army paycheck is spent on my flying. I just can't sympathize with someone asking for a handout instead of earning it themselves.

Last edited:
20k for a private license? You could almost get two for that much... :dunno:

"Help me obtain my pilots license while I help all those that dream of flying, but do not know where to start."

How would you be helping them? Telling them to go make a kickstarter campaign like you did without working for the money and every hour of flight, the camera, the training, and the webpage for some daft reason? Thanks, but I'll pass.

Last edited:
Can you share how you accomplished that? I was always told the way I explained it.

FAR reference would be appreciated.

61.123 and 61.73. I didn't say it applied to the OP, but it is possible to get a commercial without a private. The only other way which is kind of a loophole is a category add on to a commercial license. You would have never been a private pilot in that category.

By the way, maybe the OP should think about making 61.73 applicable. And by that I mean submitting a packet to become a military pilot. The training is free if you do it that way.

Last edited:
In my opinion this is short of begging for money on the streets. I'm made ton of sacrifices to pay for my PPL. Now if you are asking for money to help feed your family or to pay for a funeral that would be different.

Using a public forum to try to raise money to pay for recreational flying beats all.

Last edited:
Back