KHWO Notam and the RNAV 10R

TK211X

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Him
Had a interesting question. The RNAV into KHWO 10R has LNAV MDA to 480 and circling to 560. However the NOTAM says "RNAV (GPS) RUNWAY 10R... STRAIGHT IN MINIMUMS NA AT NIGHT"

So I thought, that's odd. If we can't get in visual then how do we get into KHWO without circling to another runway and getting crosswind.

My question is:

Can you simply go down to 560, make visual contact before HIMIX and "circle" from midfield back to 10L?

Usually when I see straight in minimums NA at night in a NOTAM, there’s some sort of temporary obstruction directly out from the runway on the approach that you can see during the day but is not lit at night.

Anything sticking up in the air nearby? A crane for example?

The NOTAMs for obstacles don't appear to show anything from the DER of 28L. However the NOTAM for the RNAV 10R has been up since Oct25th.

Had a interesting question. The RNAV into KHWO 10R has LNAV MDA to 480 and circling to 560. However the NOTAM says "RNAV (GPS) RUNWAY 10R... STRAIGHT IN MINIMUMS NA AT NIGHT"

So I thought, that's odd. If we can't get in visual then how do we get into KHWO without circling to another runway and getting crosswind.

My question is:

Can you simply go down to 560, make visual contact before HIMIX and "circle" from midfield back to 10L?

Yes. You can land straight in also, but you can’t use straight in ‘minimums.’

Last edited:
The NOTAMs for obstacles don't appear to show anything from the DER of 28L. However the NOTAM for the RNAV 10R has been up since Oct25th.

It could be about obstructions elsewhere that affect the Missed Approach area

Usually, it means the 20:1 visual surface is not clear and not mitigated by approved obstacle lighting or VGSI.

Back