KGGE Georgetown SC (PIREP)

MickYoumans

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
MickYoumans
On Saturday 1/8/22, a pilot friend from Gulfstream at the Savannah Airport came up to fly out with me for a lunch run. I was wanting to fly somewhere along the coast to have seafood. When I checked KARW Beaufort SC, KSSI St Simons Island GA, 09J Jekyll Island GA and KFHB Fernandina FL, they were all forecasting low ceilings with MFVR. At that point I starting checking Charleston and north of there. I had never been to Georgetown SC, half way between Charleston and Myrtle Beach, and the weather forecast there was severe clear. The weather turned out to be as forecasted and KGGE was a very easy in and back out non-tower airport. When I reported clear of the active runway on CTAF, the FBO guys radioed to ask my intentions so they would know where to park me. I said we would only be there a few hours and wanted to go into town for lunch and top off the fuel in the plane before returning home. They directed me to the nearest tie-downs to the left of the terminal. By the time I had shutdown the plane and put my iPad on an external battery to charge during lunch, the line guys had already parked a courtesy car at the nose of my plane and had the plane tied down while I as crawling out. Since they would have to drive a fuel truck over to the plane I asked if it would be alright to fuel on our return from lunch. We drove five miles into town and went to the historic waterfront. We found a restaurant named Buzz’s Roost with a nice view of the bay. After lunch we walked down to the end of a boardwalk that ran along the marina and circled backup along Front Street to the car, then returned to the airport. After topping off the tanks, we taxied out to runway 5 and held short for a Cardinal to make a touch-and-go landing before we could lift off. After circling town to get an aerial view of the waterfront, we set our course back home.

If you have never flown into KGGE I would highly recommend it. I had heard good things about this destination but really didn’t know what to expect there. I’m actually glad the ceiling was low at the other airports which encouraged me to try a new destination. The waterfront was a neat historical area to visit with many good restaurants right on the water to choose from. The two line crew guys were very friendly, courteous and helpful. The courtesy car was a KIA that was in good shape. The traffic at the airport was light. A Honda Jet flew in around the time we landed and the Cardinal making the practice landing was about it. All-in-all I would give it a Siskel and Ebert two thumbs up.
FA208F37-D45D-447E-AED0-8EECA7DA00AC.jpeg EB86E639-C17B-4B2F-80DE-A2D080D34A88.jpeg B50D6611-25B3-4A8F-8B65-1EDE2A05BED9.jpeg B6005660-7D74-4E4F-AE45-4258E5E9E29B.jpeg 976C37E6-1623-49F6-B1E9-910B067CE854.jpeg 2F40FB71-D3EE-47EF-ABFB-99764452A907.jpeg C54A6807-A106-473A-9297-0FC26F2733A6.jpeg 95D58FCD-D898-49E8-81AF-6442DC4798AF.jpeg 427BF196-6317-4D9C-A30E-D9A780BAD1F3.jpeg 0F2AAE78-09A1-40B7-9515-8D8F734EF2E5.jpeg

We flew in there for three days at Beaufort. Could not find any ground transportation. People at the airport counter looked at me like I had three heads when asked how do I get into town. They were pleasantly unhelpful. No one offered to run us the three miles into town. No rentals or uber available. Took like two hours to get the drunk taxi three miles into town. Other than that, it was fine. Probably, won’t go again soon as there are other places available.

We flew in there for three days at Beaufort. Could not find any ground transportation. People at the airport counter looked at me like I had three heads when asked how do I get into town. They were pleasantly unhelpful. No one offered to run us the three miles into town. No rentals or uber available. Took like two hours to get the drunk taxi three miles into town. Other than that, it was fine. Probably, won’t go again soon as there are other places available.

Drunk taxi?

Only been there once and it was just as you described, @MickYoumans. One man show at the FBO, but he was super friendly and helpful. Pulled the courtesy car right up to the plane and gave us some recommendations for lunch.

I’m a bit confused. I was talking about Georgetown and your post references Beaufort. I’ve flown into Beaufort too and experienced similar service, or the lack thereof.

Are Gulfstream pilots the new Learjet pilots?
My friend Paul installs instrumentation in the cockpit of the Gulfstream jets. He is also a CFI and does bi-annual checkrides and lessons on the side. He is not a pilot for Gulfstream though he would love to be.

Last edited:
Back