KGCN Alternatives?

VWGhiaBob

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
VWGhiaBob
After two fantastic trips to KGCN (Grand Canyon), I want to go again this weekend. I'm wondering though if there are other alternative airports close by to see the wonders of the Canyon and that general area.

Only requirement is not much farther from LA. This is about 2 hours in a Cirrus, 4 RT. Also, the Cirrus SR22 is not exactly a short-field plane (don't do high altitude short runways or dirt). Takeoff roll @ gross and 8,000 feet DA is 2,500 feet (I like to have 5,000 if possible).

Advice appreciated!

Check out Page, AZ. Nice airport, right there on Lake Powell. It has a 5,950' x 150' runway so you shouldn't have any issues getting in there.

If you've never been to Zion Nat'l park just to the north of the Grand Canyon, I'd highly recommend it. St George airport isn't too far, and Stout is a bit closer to the park. Rumor has it you can rent Jeeps out of Stout airport.

We flew to and stayed at Sky Ranch in Sedona and visited the canyon from there. Sedona plus the Grand Canyou is particularly nice.

After two fantastic trips to KGCN (Grand Canyon), I want to go again this weekend. I'm wondering though if there are other alternative airports close by to see the wonders of the Canyon and that general area.

Only requirement is not much farther from LA. This is about 2 hours in a Cirrus, 4 RT. Also, the Cirrus SR22 is not exactly a short-field plane (don't do high altitude short runways or dirt). Takeoff roll @ gross and 8,000 feet DA is 2,500 feet (I like to have 5,000 if possible).

Advice appreciated!

On the upper right side of the attached photo is Grand Canyon West (1G4).
I did not stop there but it looks interesting.

Attachments

• IMG_5009.jpg
    IMG_5009.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 27
I don't recommend 1G4 unless you want to spend lots of money on low quality tourist attractions.

Page is a great suggestion, over fly the lake for some world class pictures. Anytime a new biz jet is built, Page is an early stop in the Ad photo tours so they can get pictures of the new equipment over the lake. 3 FBOs so I'm sure you can find a place to use your preferred fuel card.

On the upper right side of the attached photo is Grand Canyon West (1G4).
I did not stop there but it looks interesting.

1G4 is interesting... to fly over. The SkyWalk is fun... to photograph from the air.

I wonder if they'll hit you with their massive fees if you do a touch & go? How about a low approach or a go around?

Back