KGAI to KFDK

Raphael

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Raphael
Hi
As a student pilot, I would like to know when I need to contact KFDK when flying from KGAI:
- before exiting Wooly Gate to give enough time but monitoring 2 frequencies (Potomac APP and KFDK)
- after exiting Wooly gate, but allowing little time to get clearance from TWR
- or flying eastbound to about 10NM from KFDK

Thanks for your advice

Call before you go and let FDK know and whatever you do don't go too far north into P-40

Hi
As a student pilot, I would like to know when I need to contact KFDK when flying from KGAI:
- before exiting Wooly Gate to give enough time but monitoring 2 frequencies (Potomac APP and KFDK)

Thanks for your advice

I would expect PTK to advise radar service terminated, or to advise you when to contact FDK tower near the gate. You got about 8NM (4 minutes) to the airport. All the tower has to do is repeat your N# to enter the D.

Also make sure you advise ATC you are a student and you are landing FDK. You will have to get the ATIS in there somewhere.

Thanks for your prompt replies.

Hi

Thanks for your advice

After Potomac calls you clear of the SFRA at the gate and squawk 1200, switch from Potomac and pick up FDK ATIS and give FDK tower a call before entering the Class D. by 8 miles is fine. There's plenty of time to do that and if you get rushed just arc a little north outside the Class D.

I fly in and out of both FDK and GAI.

Last edited:
Back