KFFA

Corpsmaide

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Corpsmaide
After a year here in Hampton Roads I am finally going to the Wright Brothers Memorial...today. Unfortunately I won't be flying there on my first trip as I am sure many of you have but I will fly there one day. This will be our first trip to the outter banks, hoping to score some good seafood. I want some scallops. Anyway, enjoy your day and stay safe.

Flying in to FFA is kind of like a Hajj for pilots.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    6.3 MB · Views: 18
I made KFFA my first cross country as a Private Pilot. It's about 1.5 hrs for me. I have since flown back twice. The winds can get to kicking pretty good out there. I have heard there is a good brewery about 1/2 mile from FFA. I have yet to spend the night and test the allegations though :p

image-3.jpg

My day

Went to the aquarium first. My son (2yrs old) became cranky pretty quick because it was nap time. The aquarium was not that big so we still saw everything in its entirety before it got too bad. Dare county airport is DIRECTLY next to the aquarium. It was a beautiful day. I decided to go in search of an instructor so I could fly to KFFA and back (had to be short because wife and child would be standing by).

Met an awesome guy who was the owner of a charter operation on field who contacted the only CFI on the field at the time. She was with a student so I didn't get to fly. Still got to talk aviation with the charter guy, very motivating. Will try again next time.

Got to log KFFA on a area familiarization flight shortly after reporting to E City. One of the mission requirements for such a flight is "familiarize the incoming pilot with local air facilities that might be used for operations." So we took a break and parked the HH3F on the ramp and walked up the hill. A must see for any pilot.

I am in Wilmington for a couple of weeks in early December. I think I will try to make that flight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Dan nice picture of the approach,looking to stop on the way up the coast this spring.

My day

Went to the aquarium first. My son (2yrs old) became cranky pretty quick because it was nap time. The aquarium was not that big so we still saw everything in its entirety before it got too bad. Dare county airport is DIRECTLY next to the aquarium. It was a beautiful day. I decided to go in search of an instructor so I could fly to KFFA and back (had to be short because wife and child would be standing by).

Met an awesome guy who was the owner of a charter operation on field who contacted the only CFI on the field at the time. She was with a student so I didn't get to fly. Still got to talk aviation with the charter guy, very motivating. Will try again next time.
If you do it again, look up Rick Storey He used to work parttime for the then school on field. As it turns out, I had significant issues with the school and skipped the checkout and rental. He was the instructor who was supposed to give me the checkout. I found his name on the board inside. He used to rent out his C172 and may still. He never poached from the school and only rented to people who answered his ads.
If you are talking about the Weeping Radish, it's moved onto the mainland about 5 miles north. And for those familiar with Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives, it was one of the featured places. I haven't tried any of the other places there.
If you land at FFA, you get free admission to the park. AOPA also has a pilot center there with internet terminal and a weather station.
In 2003, as a student, I flew out of Dare and did the Outer Banks route with an instructor. This was a promotion to raise funds for the airport. I got a signed certificate having done the whole tour. It encouraged me to finish up my PP and later that year, I attended the Centennial celebration.
One of these days, Me and my plane will vacation down there. It just hasn't worked out yet.

Got to log KFFA on a area familiarization flight shortly after reporting to E City. One of the mission requirements for such a flight is "familiarize the incoming pilot with local air facilities that might be used for operations." So we took a break and parked the HH3F on the ramp and walked up the hill. A must see for any pilot.
The E City Coast Guard is one of my favorite places to visit. Benn there four or five times. We were there just last year. Met some of the pilots and some of the swim instructors. There's been a lot of construction going on. New exchange, training facilities, residences. Even the entrance has some new aircraft on display. Each time there, we've seen something new.

We managed to get 21 Navions crammed into that little ramp during the national convention a few years back. We all flew up from Southport (KSUT). Margy managed to call up Lejeune and negotiate a transition of all the costal retracted areas for our entire group (this caused a little consternation for Wilmington Approach as they kept warning us we were heading for a hot area and we each told them we had negotiated clearance).

Back