KFFA - First Flight Airport

GMascelli

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
GaryM
I have searched the forums and only found some info on the red board. I am looking for taxi info or transportation to the beach.

Mary and I are thinking about a Monday morning early (depart 7 am) hop (2 hours) to FFA for a day at the beach and of course a tie into flying.

So far this weeknd it's been Ocean City MD, friday and saturday, back home for a little league baseball game. I have a three hour block scheduled for an IR lesson from 7-10am tomorrow, I figure why not fly everyday this holiday and do something Monday.

x posted on red board.

FFA is a cool airport with great access to Kitty Hawk National Monument. But no FBO service at all. There is a little hut there that the AOPA put up, I think you need to squawk VFR to get in (hint hint), but not even a phone that I recall.

I spent a week on the outer bank a couple of years ago and kept the plane at Manteo, KMQI. A great airport with fuill service including two rental car places right on the field. They may even be able to get you a cab or just a ride to and from the beach. Give them a call.

Scott,

Thanks for the car rental info, I am going to try a few services listed on AOPA and see what the availability is for taxi.

Tim,

Thats what I hear, watch the winds but Monday is calling for calm, we shall see how calm it really is so close to the beach.

Last edited:
We did FFA too. I seem to recall a phone in the AOPA building, but cannot swear to it. I'm sure, however, that there is a phone in the visitor's center at the monument, which you should take the time to visit anyways!

Gary:

I'm sure you could get a cab from FFA to the beach, just don't know how to do it. I don't remember a phone there although there is a nice air-conditioned room for the flight planning computer. It's a bit of a hike from FFA to the Wright Bros. memorial, but not too bad.

As an alternative, you could land at Dare County (MQI), gas up and head another 50 miles south to Billy Mitchell (HSE). There is a small store at the end of the airport access road and Route 12 to get drinks and some light food, and the walk from the ramp to the beach is less than a 1/4 mile. That stretch of beach is one of the nicest, IMHO! Might want to bring your own ropes to tie down, they have chains, but they are often missing. There are NO services at HSE.

Just a bit farther is Ocracoke (W95). That's a cool place although I don't like the beach near the airport as much since it gets a lot of 4X4 traffic. Cool town though, and a definate for an overnight trip. Don't meed a car, just rent some bikes. Most of the hotels and B&B's will pick you up.

Gary

Last edited:
This is a picture taken from up on the hill by the monument. In the far ground is the small tombstone monuments that represent the four flights taken on that cold wintery, windy day in Dec.17, 1903. It was a humbling experience for me to walk that gravel path and relive that day of Wilbur and Orville. Bob

Attachments

• scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    529.7 KB · Views: 21
Back