Key West/Turqouise Water Pix

AirDC

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Andrew
I had planned to (finally) make the trip to Treasure Cay and Eleuthera last weekend but decided to change destination last minute because I didn't feel comfortable with Beryl loitering around Florida and the Atlantic. Figured we would go to Key West instead and at least have access to a reliable phone/internet in case weather was an issue on the way home.

I had rented a plane from Atlas Aviation in Tampa - same outfit you guys were talking about in the Caribbean thread. The 182/g1000 was $197 an hour and in really nice condition, I was getting 142ktas at 13gph. They let me do a 2hr daily minimum, including the checkout (which was 1.2 hobbs, 2hr instructor). Deric, the owner/president, was extremely helpful before and during the trip. It was a very well run operation and I would strongly recommend it to anyone looking for a Florida or Caribbean adventure.

Weather on the way home was indeed challenging - Beryl was still lingering near Tampa. We took off for Sarasota figuring we would wait for a gap in the weather up there and possibly even be able to sneak into Tampa. We had a clear OUT to the south if needed at any point. It ended up that we got a break and were able to go direct to Tampa, and land in just light rain and 10mi vis.

We got some great photos that I thought you guys would like. I'm still dying to get to the caribbean, but for me, flying over turquoise water was a dream come true. Tampa to Key West is a great GA trip - we used 4.0 on the Hobbs roundtrip and its a 7 hour drive.

zCBUC.jpg

VQEpO.jpg

yfYjz.jpg

jYeAb.jpg

hvOZg.jpg

yaLh3.jpg

MUuPK.jpg

sXFLV.jpg

Wuakl.jpg

3hhuz.jpg

Gorgeous.

I did a little poking in Foreflight just to see how painful a Florida flight from Denver would be in the 182.

It's looooooong. Three hopper. Lunch in Memphis sounded nice though. Dang time zone changes blow two hours too. I'd be up all night after 9PM dinner in FL while the brain still thinks its 7PM.

Still... Would love to do it. Long assed day in an airplane though. ;)

Gorgeous.

I did a little poking in Foreflight just to see how painful a Florida flight from Denver would be in the 182.

It's looooooong. Three hopper. Lunch in Memphis sounded nice though. Dang time zone changes blow two hours too. I'd be up all night after 9PM dinner in FL while the brain still thinks its 7PM.

Still... Would love to do it. Long assed day in an airplane though. ;)

That would def be a trek from Denver. Maybe do what I did and fly commercial and rent for a long weekend.

Back