KEUG Eugene OR - local tips for first in area.

skidoo

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
skidoo
I'm looking to go to KEUG (may become often) and it looks like one FBO with reasonable fees $20 or 15 gal of 100LL and $5 per night for tie downs, OR no FBO self serve and $5 per night tie down across the field.

Hangar space at the FBO looks to be $75 to $100 per night which seems high. So, I am wondering why. Looking at Google maps, I see few GA tied down. Is there a good reason to pay this much for hangar storage there? It there a high risk of something there, i.e. hail, theft, etc...?

Is there any other temporary (i.e. 2 to 5 days) hangar storage available on that field at a reasonable fee?

Any other local tips for the newbie flying in there?

Can't help you with KEUG - only flown in there for practice - but I rent from an FBO at 77S, Creswell which is just south of KEUG. Since I rent I don't know if nightly hangar rentals are available or their cost at 77S (I believe there is a waiting list for long term hangar rent,) but their tie down rates are $2/night, $20/month. If you need an airfield with IFR approaches then you can't use 77S either - though I believe they've been slowly working on changing that.

The only time we are likely to get hail here is roughly November to February. And then it is typically grain sized. Don't know about thefts at KEUG, but a couple years ago some hangars at 77S were broken into and some tools stolen; no planes touched.

How often do you think you'll be flying in?

Thanks... I may go there perhaps 3 to 5 times per year...

If you are here a few nights each time I think you should be fine with tie-downs at KEUG. Weather is generally benign. If you need to rent a car once you arrive, KEUG may be a better choice than my home field of 77S, where they only have a courtesy car and, in theory, Enterprise car rental (presumably shuttle you to their rental agency.)

The local NATCA union put the following ATC advice on their web site:

http://eug.natca.net/fly eug.htm

Cascade approach/departure is located at the Eugene facility but actually handles approach control for Eugene and Medford airports; which are about 100 miles apart.

http://eug.natca.net/about facility.htm

Some local info on 77S if you want to consider that as an alternate:
http://www.abouttimeaviation.com/index.php?action=resources.hobbyfield

Hey Jim... You live in the Eugene area??

I got some questions...

I was contacted by a good friend who is terminally ill and needs a huge RV motorhouse driven from Tampa to Eugene... I am assuming there is a large dealer out there ???

I was contacted by a good friend who is terminally ill and needs a huge RV motorhouse driven from Tampa to Eugene... I am assuming there is a large dealer out there ???

Sorry to hear about your friend.
This area used to have at least three RV manufacturers that I know of: Monaco Coach, Marathon, and Country Coach. The last recession took a big hit on their market and they either went out of business or shrunk. There are still local dealers and the remaining companies or their suppliers still supply parts, service, and support. Feel free to PM me if there is anything else that you think might help by having some one local.

Can't help you much, I forget the FBO name.

Flew through EUG last summer headed north. Called ahead for a late arrival. They had a rental car waiting for me and directions to the local hotel. I topped off the tanks, T-41B, about 30 gallons. Weather was great so we did not worry about a hanger. I don't think they charged me for a tie down. Great service.

I've been to Eugene a few times, but only during the summer. I've never encountered summer weather in the area that would encourage me to use a hangar instead of a tiedown. Btw, you should make sure all openings are plugged or closed so that nasty insects don't start nesting in your plane.

Back