Kern County (L05) Insights?

VWGhiaBob

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
VWGhiaBob
I’m flying my Cirrus SR22 to Kern County for the first time (L05) today VFR. There’s a nice runway, but no METAR and no ASOS /AWOS...just a wind sock. There also isn’t a lot of room to maneuver with hills all around.

Anyone flown in there? Any insights? Is there a favored runway with no wind, and how do folks normally figure out runway?

I noticed a couple of phone numbers in the A/FD that you could call if you get no answers here.

A lot of people use one way in one way out ops there. Shouldn’t be busy, just talk and coordinate

I don't have any info about Kern county, but every landing strip I have been to with only a windsock to determine winds I just over flew the windsock, looked at it, determined the best runway and landed. With traffic calls, of course.

I’m flying my Cirrus SR22 to Kern County for the first time (L05) today VFR. There’s a nice runway, but no METAR and no ASOS /AWOS...just a wind sock. There also isn’t a lot of room to maneuver with hills all around.

Anyone flown in there? Any insights? Is there a favored runway with no wind, and how do folks normally figure out runway?

Can you let us know how it went when done?

There's a couple of videos online that show the approach. You do get quite close to the hills which makes it interesting. It's a fun place to fly into in the summer, with camping right next to your plane.

Nothing really challenging about it, you just need to be aware that you will be close to the hills. Once you turn base you in the clear.

When you report on CTAF, the cafe will give you a wind report. Usually winds favor 35 in the early morning, and turn to 17 by midday. Cafe food is quite good.

Hoping to hit L05 this spring for a little campout. Hopefully the wife will join me but she hates flying enough without buzzing hills. If not, the dog will be more than happy to cuddle up in the tent.

Bests to fly RP on R/W 17 if winds permit. The pattern is slightly right due to terrain. Done it many times in a long body Mooney. The Cafe will give you winds if you cannot determine them on your own. Departing R/W 17 is also the best choice, if winds permit.

Back