Kenyan Aircraft Design

I say let him finish his design. In exchange for never flying it, and with the cost of a used, oh let's say, airworthy C152, nearly nil right now, have a benefactor donate that plane to him as a reward for his efforts, give him a few lessons, and let him enjoy the experience of flight with an instructor. Perhaps he can get enough resources together to get his Kenyan Pilots license. He fulfills his dream and gets rewarded for his moxie, his efforts and his vision.

I can't speak to the quality of Kenyan IT.

His design sux. That which doesn't destroy him will make him stronger.

Could be a massive joke, too.

Yeah, I have my doubts about the craft, but none about the crafter. I love the guy! I hope the EAA can bring him to the show. He's the kind of person the organization is all about.

He's lined up a factory in China to mass produce his design. He's got a rich investor providing the start-up capital he needs but he needs someone in the US to cash the check and send him the funds minus a healthy fee you get to keep. His bank in Nigeria will handle all the details. Any takers?

He's lined up a factory in China to mass produce his design. He's got a rich investor providing the start-up capital he needs but he needs someone in the US to cash the check and send him the funds minus a healthy fee you get to keep. His bank in Nigeria will handle all the details. Any takers?

Isn't he getting funding from Martin Aviation?

This reminds me of a commencement address given by Richard Feynman where he spoke about something he called "Cargo Cult Science". In this case, Mr. Nderitu is superficially mimicking an airplane without understanding the science.

To address the argument that his situation doesn't allow him access to the necessary technology, he has overcome quit a a few hurdles already, so I think his efforts to this point could have been better focused on learning.

I do commend his determination though. I just feel his energies could be focused better.

Last edited:
Someone send him the plans for an RV12...

I didn't believe this would fly, but it did. I did have questions about the judgment of anyone who would get more that a few feet off the ground in it, though.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• P3130065.JPG
    P3130065.JPG
    148.6 KB · Views: 74
  • P3130066.JPG
    P3130066.JPG
    157.2 KB · Views: 71
  • P3130068.JPG
    P3130068.JPG
    167.6 KB · Views: 70
  • P3130071.JPG
    P3130071.JPG
    244 KB · Views: 71
That thing is still by far more structurally sound then the amateur Kenyan design.

That thing is still by far more structurally sound then the amateur Kenyan design.

Must be....
It actually flew.
But......
The Kenyan guy doesn't know what he doesn't know (yet).
The guy who flew this ultralite supposedly knew. And flew it anyway.

Before I watched that latest video, I hadn't realized that the plane has four wings (a canard, a main wing, a secondary, smaller wing where the flaps usually go, and then another set for good measure).
What ever happened to the old tried and true tube and rag approach?

Must be....
It actually flew.
But......
The guy who flew this ultralite supposedly knew. And flew it anyway.
That thing just looks sort of like a Breezy. I'd fly a Breezy; in fact, I'd love to fly a Breezy.
The Kenyan design, on the other hand, looks like one of the Transformers... if they made Transformers out of garbage.

This reminds me of a commencement address given by Richard Feynman where he spoke about something he called "Cargo Cult Science". In this case, Mr. Nderitu is superficially mimicking an airplane without understanding the science.

To address the argument that his situation doesn't allow him access to the necessary technology, he has overcome quit a a few hurdles already, so I think his efforts to this point could have been better focused on learning.

I do commend his determination though. I just feel his energies could be focused better.

I agree. At 3: o4 into the video he says " it is not an aerodynamic problem, it's a gear problem............................

Like he even got anywhere close to enough forward speed to encounter a "aerodynamic" problem.....

I do admire him on his willpower though.

Anyone know how much 500,000 shillings are ???

Ben.

I wonder how much more weight he is going to add by beefing up the gear. That thing is going to be 2500 lbs in a hurry.

I wonder how much more weight he is going to add by beefing up the gear. That thing is going to be 2500 lbs in a hurry.

This guy is begging to get a Darwin Award. Begging.

I love the welder's mask....

Does anyone know if there is a "Late Night with David Letterman" equivalent in Kenya? 'Cause this sorta seems like something he might cook up. Maybe have Larry "Bud" Melman in the cockpit....

+1

I recall drawings pictures and movies of the early airplane designs too. The ornithopter comes to mind. Some people put serious money and time into those as well as a lot of other complete total failure designs.

11th century: "It's wings flap like a bird that flies, it should work"
2010 Kenya: "It's shaped like a plane that files, it should work"

The logic works so go for it. :thumbsup:

Hey, if nothing else, it's keeping him occupied and off the streets and his friends are getting involved too and they're learning something. And next potential drug lord kid in the neighborhood might turn out to be the next Rutan because of this.

Only if he walks into the spinning prop. That thing will never get up enough speed on its own to cause injury to its pilot.
It's his incredible naivete and willingness to do stupid things that is his real danger.

The whole thing is just so goofy and ludicrous. It is hard to believe, but then again, it's hard to believe someone would go to this much trouble for a joke.

Back