Kentucky State Park Airports

tawood

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Tim
Hi all,
I was thinking of taking a trip sometime in the next week to one of the Kentucky State Park airports (I know of three: Lake Barkley 1M9, Falls of Rough 2I3, and Kentucky Dam M34).
I've never been to any of these...looking for some recommendations. I hope to be travelling with my 15 year old daughter, and staying overnight at one of the State lodges.
Thanks,
Tim

Hi all,
I was thinking of taking a trip sometime in the next week to one of the Kentucky State Park airports (I know of three: Lake Barkley 1M9, Falls of Rough 2I3, and Kentucky Dam M34).
I've never been to any of these...looking for some recommendations. I hope to be travelling with my 15 year old daughter, and staying overnight at one of the State lodges.
Thanks,
Tim

I've been into Rough River State Park, 2I3. It is very nice, and the lodge is within an easy walk. I used to live in Lexington ,based at Mt. Sterling KIOB, so it was about an hour and fifteen minute flight.

Last edited:
From the website:
Coming to Rough River Dam in Falls of Rough? Aviators can pitch a tent and camp near their aircraft at the airport air camp. The air camp has a central service building with showers and rest rooms. Open year-round. Rate $10.00 per night. No advance reservations. The park has a 3,200 foot paved and lit airstrip with tie downs. Aviation fuel not available.

Easy walk to restaurant and lake surrounds. Sounds like a nice weekend getaway. I've been there and it was pretty quiet.

Tim,

My wife and I just tent camped at Rough River St Park last Friday night, and ate breakfast at the lodge restaurant Saturday morning. I would recommend it. Fun place. The walk from the airstrip to the lodge is an easy 1/4 mile stroll.

I've flown into Kentucky Dam St Park too, and have eaten at their lodge restaurant. That's a long walk from airfield to lodge, but you can call them and they'll come pick you up.

PM me if you have any questions.

I was looking for a place like Rough River this summer, guessing Ill have to wait till next year but sounds awesome

These look awesome! I wasn't aware there was really any fly-in camping options in the eastern US.

I'm adding camping at 2I3 to my must do list!

Flying into Rough River, stay high to clear the rocky outcrop at the end of the downwind then slip on final to the runway. If you don't stop on the top then there is a slope in the runway that you'll have to taxi back up. All that is reversed in the other direction.
Otherwise it is a nice place and the shower/toilet building is clean and convenient. Have the fish at the lodge, not greasy at all.

Back