Kentucky Dam Houseboats

gprellwitz

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Grant Prellwitz
Has anyone here ever rented houseboats after flying into Kentucky Dam State Park (M34)? They have 58' and 80' boats for rent. I'm thinking of getting together a number of pilots, flying down there, and renting a boat for the 5-day week, and am looking for a PIREP. This would be August, after AirVenture.

I cannot speak for the Kentucky Dam SP... but I have rented houseboats in Arkansas (Lake Ouachita) several times. Very enjoyable vacations, but very weather dependent... The first go, we had 90degree weather nearly every day and it was great. The 2nd time it was maybe 75, and rained almost every day. Vastly different experiences.

I would go for the larger boat. You cannot have too much space. That said, we had 6 adults and 5 kids on a 16x75' boat and didn't feel too cramped.

Especially if you are flying, look into a food delivery service for the houseboat. We were able to pre-order nearly everything we wanted so that we could travel lightly.

Have fun !

Has anyone here ever rented houseboats after flying into Kentucky Dam State Park (M34)? They have 58' and 80' boats for rent. I'm thinking of getting together a number of pilots, flying down there, and renting a boat for the 5-day week, and am looking for a PIREP. This would be August, after AirVenture.

I looked at doing this exact same thing a couple of years ago. I never got past the looking stage. There are several companies out there that do rent them. The prices are not bad at all. I was at the Kentucky dam /Land between the Lakes area a couple of years ago but stayed at a motel. I landed at two airports and both were really nice. There is not a lot in the way of ground transport at the M25 Mayfield-Graves airport, but it was nice. I also landed over at Kentucky Dam - M34 itself. Nice place too. There you can find a lot more activity and possibly get public transport easier.

Back