Kent, this looks bad for your profession :-(

Based upon a small amount of travel in Mexico, I don't want to see their trucks on our highways.

Based upon a small amount of travel in Mexico, I don't want to see their trucks on our highways.

But it will eventually happen, gotta have cheaper shipping, you know. And all US truck drivers will get price beat out of the market.

Well, they're slowing it down anyway.

I'm not sure if they are really going to allow Mexican trucks to go from a US shipper to a US destination, though. I think this is simply to allow them to pick up a load in Mexico and deliver it in the US, then pick up a load in the US and deliver it to Mexico. Currently, they have to stay within 20 miles of the border and then the load has to be unloaded and transferred to an American truck.

Heck, it might even be good for us. We'll be able to take loads to Mexican destinations too. Currently, for instance, my company sends a few trucks a week to Brownsville, TX where the load is transferred to a Mexican truck.

Basically, this would simply be allowing open access both ways, just like we currently have with Canada. I agree with the safety issues, though... Some of their trucks are just scary. In fact, their best trucks are our throwaways. :eek:

But they're only doing jobs we don't want!!! How can this be true?

But they're only doing jobs we don't want!!! How can this be true?

This is not about illegals coming here and driving trucks this is about free trade and allowing legal Mexican companies to come across the border legally and deliver goods at a cheaper rate. This will drive down the cost of goods, making it better for the American economy to benefit from the reduced cost of manufacturing in Mexico. What is the cost per mile for Mexican trucks? I heard about $.08/mile as opposed to $.42/mile for US drivers.

I thought the Conservative/Republicans were all about free trade and that is why the President really wanted this to be approved instead of what happened with the new bill?

It was not until the teamsters started speaking up that this changed to what happened with the bill and the trail period. But I don't know how long the other side of the aisle will be able to hold out against their own business sponsors on this one. They will cave.

Back