Kent Shook

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
Kent, didn't you say you will be on the road tomorrow? After what I did today I feel your pain, man. I just finished just over 12 hours on the road for a RT which usually takes 7 hours. At times I became so bleary eyed I scared myself. The stop & go was murderous. Most of the folks took it all in stride but, as you well know, the few who have complete disregard for others are the ones who really gum up the works.

Throw in a couple HazMat spills and a serious sandwhich involving two trucks and a Honda car trying to change lanes and it was a full day alright. You be safe out there, you hear?

On a brighter note I was driving by an aprt immediately adjacent to the road when a gorgeous C-170 was on short final. He passed right above me.

Caught on the 405 you were? Feel good, it made national news. Atlanta, Miami, and a few other cities made the news too.

Am I losing it or are there far more rollovers and jackknifes going on than in past years? There was a report on tv talking about electronic stability control. This implied that these types of accidents would be cured by having ESC installed.

Is it just bad driving or do we really need ESC?

silver-eagle said:
Caught on the 405 you were? Feel good, it made national news. Atlanta, Miami, and a few other cities made the news too.

Am I losing it or are there far more rollovers and jackknifes going on than in past years? There was a report on tv talking about electronic stability control. This implied that these types of accidents would be cured by having ESC installed.

Naw, I took secondary highways to I-5. I was on the 210 for a while. What a friggin mess.

Such a device would only accomodate the real ******* drivers who don't think of anyone but themselves.

You guys sure have my sympathy. Seems I just block traffic doing about ten miles over the speed limit. People fly up on my rear end; suddenly kind of pay attention; treat me like an absolute impediment to thier high speed travel; go around then get off at the next exit!

Had a lady honk at me Tuesday. I got off an exit from an expressway; she was behind me. I was going a little faster than the posted limit. As I came up to a toll booth, the road markings split left or right for a both on either side. I moved left and she just laid on the horn. Even though the lane marking hadn't split left she had moved left, almost to the shoulder and stepped on the gas. She was in my blind spot as I moved left.

Got to a stop light and she was right in front of me. Person in front of her, evidently didn't turn fast enough and she started honking at them. Turned and went to a bank; she was well ahead of me when I turned in and I didn't think about her anymore, but as I was parking, she flew in the next exit to the bank and came the other way. As I was turning in, I was in front of her and got to hear her horn again.

Folks like this just can't have much of a life.

Best,

Dave

silver-eagle said:

It's bad driving and overpopulation. We have the Me Generation combined with lack of traffic law enforcement, extra distractions, and technology where you don't have to care, ya got air bags and a 2 ton SUV. Then we have the wheels, the privileged, "My time is valuable, and you're in the way. "

I think in Chicago I actually saw a Chicago cop pull over a driver yesterday, but it might have been an accident. Duh Mare is posting billboards saying the cops will enforce traffic laws, but we haven't seen it yet. There was a major scandal earlier this year when a yup did the usual speed up for the stop sign thing and mowed down a 4 year old in the crosswalk.

In traffic I like doing what you guys do when I can. Put it in gear, allow space for a buffer in front, set the average traffic speed and avoid stop and go. When the inevitable clown takes up the buffer I drop back or keep the same interval he sets depending on my mood.

Last edited:
Mike nailed it.

I am home now, got here at 4 AM. Prolly back out Friday or Saturday, depending on what freight is available.

Dave, I see people like that all the time. They're in such a hurry they slow themselves down by flying past their turns. I've had people honk at me for reasons I can't fathom - Situations like I'm in the right lane of a six-lane freeway, someone comes flying up in the middle lane, slows down so they match my speed, honking and gesturing wildly, then they floor it again. I wasn't even in their way - I don't get it. :dunno:

Richard said:
Kent, do yo have a, "Honk if you...(fill in the blank)" bumper sticker? Be safe.

LOL... But no.

I did get flashed last Saturday though! :goofy:

flyingcheesehead said:
LOL... But no.

I did get flashed last Saturday though! :goofy:

My brother is a long haul trucker, and he says that happens a lot! Maybe It's time for a career change for me!

And there was a bumper sticker that said, "Horn broke, watch for finger"
Then another one said, "Keep honking, I'm reloading.":)
ApacheBob

Dave Siciliano said:
You guys sure have my sympathy. Seems I just block traffic doing about ten miles over the speed limit. People fly up on my rear end; suddenly kind of pay attention; treat me like an absolute impediment to thier high speed travel; go around then get off at the next exit!

Same thing here! I was doing 45 in the 45 zone and some dimwit decided that I wasn't going fast enough and she flashes her lights and honks at me. Sorry lady, all that does is make my car go slower! I used to get all upset at things like that, now I just laugh at them. "Hey! Race you to the next red light!!!" dummies.

My all time favorite is, Pass with care, Copenhagen in use.

I saw one the other day which read, Bumper stickers are tacky.

Ono of my college professors, the guy with the Porche, had a lic plate frame which read, My other car is a Porche.

A couple that stick in my mind are, Cover me, I'm changing lanes. And, My other car is up my nose.

Last edited:
One thing, folks.

On a freeway, on any divided roadway, the left lane is for faster traffic, slower trafic keep right. If you are in the left lane, and someone comes up from behind, you are the slower traffic. Safely change lanes, and let them by.

The greatest hazard we have on the interstates these days is not people going fast, it is nimrods who cannot figure out, from a glance at their rear-view-mirrors, that they have created a rolling danger zone by shadowing the vehicle in the left lane and thus creating a rolling roadblock.

And no, "slower traffic keep right" does not mean "traffic slower than the speed limit keep right" (or its logical and dim-witted cousin, "if I am going the speed limit, then I have no obligation to move over or yield right of way"). If there's a speed limit violation, the local constabulary will address it, but it is not the God-given right of anyone to break one law (the right of way law), in their zeal to force another (the speed limit).

This moronic practice has made highway driving substantially more dangerous.

/rant

Right on Spike, from one speeder to an obvious other.

If I want to drive 120 on I40 through a construction zone....move :D

Spike,
That's actually been made explicit in Illinois law. If you're in the left lane and don't get over to let someone pass, you'r liable for a ticket. Not that I know of anyone who's gotten one for that, though I've heard of some who've at least had cop light flashing in their rear-view mirrors for it.

In Germany they even have a word for it....."Rechtsfahren". You have to drive in the right lane unless you are passing.

Pete

Spike,

I WAS in the right lane. I don't hold up traffic. It annoys me when someone does that, so I don't do it. In this particular section of roadway, WSP has extended the 45 mph zone (from 60 mph) because too many folks were getting into accidents. Problem is, no one pays attention to the speed limit. As soon as they pass the Walmart on the the north end of town, the 35 zone becomes 50 and the 45 becomes 60+. And what ticks me off the most? WSP hardly ever enforces it. Even my own deputies ignore it.

God help me when I'm on my little Rebel, heading out of town, up the hill trying to maintain 45 mph with my loaded down 250 cc bike. I've had people practically run me off the road. The funniest part is, I maintain the speed limit (in the right lane), and 90% of the time, I catch up to them at the stop light 6 miles away.

And yes, there are signs on the the highway that state something like 'Left lane is only for passing'.

DeeG, I was not intending to imply that you were such an offender, and so sorry if it seemed thus.

You just made me think about it, I saw red, well, you know.

SCCutler said:
And no, "slower traffic keep right" does not mean "traffic slower than the speed limit keep right" (or its logical and dim-witted cousin, "if I am going the speed limit, then I have no obligation to move over or yield right of way").

This moronic practice has made highway driving substantially more dangerous.

/rant

Spike for pres, got my vote, bud!

I hear you guys- I drove from NJ to NE down I-80 in August. I'm in the right lane and see a car behind a truck 5 miles ahead. It takes me 20 or 30 minutes to come up to them. Just as I start to pass them, the idiot in the car decides it's time to pass the truck & jumps in front of me. S/he then spends 20-30 minutes passing the truck, making a rolling road block. This isn't in any particular state- it's half way across the entire USA!

I sure hope these people don't get LSA (or other pilot) licenses.

SCCutler said:
DeeG, I was not intending to imply that you were such an offender, and so sorry if it seemed thus.

You just made me think about it, I saw red, well, you know.

Naw, I wasn't offended. I get the same way. :)

Thursday evening Barb and I hit I-5 heading home from the kids, we enter the highway in the right lane, it is wide open. every one is in the left lane doing 70, tailgating each other when the right lane was open..

I set the cruise control at 72 and let her run.

Richard said:
Ono of my college professors, the guy with the Porche, had a lic plate frame which read, My other car is a Porche.

And I'll bet he spells it "Porsche" (and pronounces it with two syllables). I can usually get the goat of any Porsche driver by saying "Nice Porch".

SCCutler said:
And no, "slower traffic keep right" does not mean "traffic slower than the speed limit keep right" (or its logical and dim-witted cousin, "if I am going the speed limit, then I have no obligation to move over or yield right of way").

But what if I want to exercise my God given right to make everyone go the speed I'm comfortable with at the time?

And you do know that "anyone going slower than me is a moron, and anyone going faster is a jerk", right?:D

Cap'n Jack said:
I sure hope these people don't get LSA (or other pilot) licenses.
But they're already flying. These are no doubt the pilots who call "any traffic..." without listening to the pattern chatter and enter on the 45 religeously without any other attempts to blend in with existing traffic.

That is really interesting information, Mike. I'm letting it digest right now, but my first impression is that it would work.

Cool, Mike. I dubbed the traffic phemon "freeway slinky effect" when I was traveling the SoCal freeways.

I have a buddy with the perfect solution to tail gaters. He has a fuel injector mounted in his exhaust just behind the Cat. Converter thatpumps a small amount of oil (from and 1 QT container). Smoke rolls out, tailgater thinks the truck is going to blow and backs off. No tailgater has ever gotten mad yet but they all honk and point to the back of his truck when they pass to let him know he has engine problems.

i dont tailgate. i draft.

interesting article though mike. if only there was ever heavy traffic in iowa i could try it out.

Richard said:
It's wave theory in action.

What I can't figure out is why Mr. Beaty thinks his slowing down early to create a void wouldn't just start another wave behind him.

well it does create a wave, i think he admits that, but its magnitude is much smaller than the previous wave.

lancefisher said:
What I can't figure out is why Mr. Beaty thinks his slowing down early to create a void wouldn't just start another wave behind him.
He is being a safe driver but the result is he is going 'backwards' in relation to the traffic flow due to careless and reckless drivers speeding pell mell up his 6.

I try to be the most defensive driver I can be without crossing that line into overly aggressive.

I would like to spend a day in a moored ballon observing the traffic on the freeway. I bet I could write a winning dissertation from what I saw.

It's a particle. No, wait....it's a wave.

tonycondon said:
well it does create a wave, i think he admits that, but its magnitude is much smaller than the previous wave.
That implies he has control of the situation. Any of us have control of our little particle and perhaps some influence over those particles immediately adjacent to us but the amplitude and frequency of the event are beyond his or our control.

Another way of saying that is that the set may decrease in amplitude but the next set is already rising in amplitude which would be sufficient to countermand the trend information implied by the decrease of the previous set.

Richard said:
He is being a safe driver but the result is he is going 'backwards' in relation to the traffic flow due to careless and reckless drivers speeding pell mell up his 6.

I try to be the most defensive driver I can be without crossing that line into overly aggressive.

I would like to spend a day in a moored ballon observing the traffic on the freeway. I bet I could write a winning dissertation from what I saw.

The combination of replaying your old tapes plus the notes on a few future astral-projections above your freeway of choice in lew of the balloon perch should be more than adequate, so let's hear it!

Richard said:

I wish I'd have had a camera out yesterday. I actually saw a license plate that said "POA"!!! :yes:

Dave Krall CFII said:
The combination of replaying your old tapes plus the notes on a few future astral-projections above your freeway of choice in lew of the balloon perch should be more than adequate, so let's hear it!
Why, you're just an old hippy aren't you? The Moody Blues does good for what ails you.

And you can fly
High as a kite if you want to
Faster than light if you want to
Speeding through the universe
Thinking is the best way to travel

It's all a dream
Light passing by on the screen
And there's you and I on the beam

We ride the waves
Distance is gone, will we find out?
How life bean, will be find out?

And you can fly
High as a kite if you want to
Faster than light if you want to

Last edited:
SCCutler said:
On a freeway, on any divided roadway, the left lane is for faster traffic, slower trafic keep right. If you are in the left lane, and someone comes up from behind, you are the slower traffic. Safely change lanes, and let them by.

Spike, you're right of course... In an ideal world.

I often get trapped in the left lane either before or after actually passing another vehicle by people who are so damn impatient that they will cut into the right lane to pass before I can, thus preventing me from getting into the right lane. So, there I go, miles down the road, with cars flying by me on the right while I sit there in the left lane with my right-hand turn signal on.

If there are three lanes in each direction through a city, I'll be using the middle lane, too. I would use the right lane... IF people respected my turn signals (Hmm, I sense a pattern here). You don't know how many times I've been in the right lane and seen a car that will be trying to merge near me, so I'll try to move over only to have the person in the middle lane completely ignore my turn signal (That's three!), often with the left lane next to them WIDE OPEN. What sometimes ends up happening is I have one irate driver on my left blowing their horn (Yeah, I see you, now GET OUT OF THE WAY) and another driver on my right blowing their horn too, irate that I didn't move over for them! :dunno:

So, the unfortunate side effect of that is that trucks (myself included) are going to run the middle lane. We've given up on the four-wheelers. When I put my turn signal on, I want to move over, and I'm NOT KIDDING. PLEASE TRY TO GET OUT OF THE WAY. (Change lanes, speed up, slow down, I don't care... Whatever works for you is fine with me.)

Oh, and that reminds me. Basic Traffic Law time. IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF MERGING TRAFFIC TO PERFORM THE MERGE. It is not my job to slam on the brakes, or speed up, or even move over, though I will certainly try. (If I don't, don't be mad at me - It's generally one of your four-wheeled brethren that's causing it.) So, when you're on the ramp, look for a spot, and TAKE IT. If you're going to be in front of me, ACCELERATE. You would not believe the number of people that don't look in the mirror or out the window until the last minute. They're in front of me and going faster than I am, but then they finally open their eyes, go OH **** THERE's A TRUCK and slam on their brakes. :no:

Signal. EVERY TIME. I saw a $50,000 SUV today that apparently didn't even come with turn signals. :dunno: Weaving back and forth between lanes with no use of signals at all. I know they worked, the driver finally found them when s/he took an exit. Very late one night, a trainee of mine changed lanes on an empty road without signaling and I chastised him. He replied, "But there's nobody there, why do I have to signal?" My reply: "You don't signal for the guy you see, you signal for the guy you DON'T see."

Someone made the observation recently that "safe" airplanes (eg Ercoupe, Cirrus, etc) have awful accident rates. People expect the plane to save them and they don't fly as well as they would in a different plane. I believe that all of the safety enhancements made to cars over the last few decades (crumple zones, collapsible steering columns, and definitely airbags) have made for a generation of very complacent, very stupid and unsafe drivers. (Our fast-paced society isn't helping any either.) It's getting worse. Highway fatality rates were consistently dropping for many years, but since 2004 they have been increasing despite the cars being "safer."

It's definitely getting worse. I'm on the accident review board at my company. We were involved in a record 42 accidents last month. Many were experienced drivers, and two are even "Honor Fleet" drivers. We had an 18-year Honor Fleet driver killed in July. I'm sure you all know about my wreck in June (caused by, get this, a CAR!) where I was about a half second from getting killed myself.

Drive safe, folks.

DSCN2659.jpg

DSCN2647.jpg

DSCN2131.jpg

DSCN2130.jpg

DSCN2032.jpg

DSCN1812.jpg

DSCN1589.jpg

DSCN1539.jpg

DSCN0867.jpg

Back