Kennedy airspace bust

That's what charts are for. That and an ability to read them and know where you are on them. In VMC that shouldn't be so difficult, especially when you have a shore line to keep yourself oriented with.

To quote a famous Senior AME, "sigh!"

Another example of a VFR pilot depending on GPS without a map. Unsat.

You know, I'm not excusing the pilot, he should not have busted, but this quote here is starting to sound repetitive, almost like the gov't intentionall ignores radio calls to make the big busts:

"Dunn, with only a handheld radio and a GPS instrument, told investigators that he tried to contact the tower at the Kennedy Space Center but he didn't get a response."

Remember, Troy Martin and Hayden Scheaffer tried to talk on the radio too, but could not raise anyone on the frequency they were told to switch to. I'm not big on conspiracy theory, but this is getting insane, not having any reliance on the two way communication.

Also, I see no reason to force the pilot down like they did. They had his data, they knew who he was. Forcing him down before his intended destination so he could be questioned and then released without charges is just the Gov't's way of forcing some power over the pilot.

He posted his story on the AOPA boards. Yah, GPS, no chart. Somehow didn't know it was restricted. I'm from a thousand miles away and I know it's restricted.

He was at least contrite though.

He posted his story on the AOPA boards. Yah, GPS, no chart. Somehow didn't know it was restricted. I'm from a thousand miles away and I know it's restricted.

He was at least contrite though.
Do you have the link? I'd like to read his story.

Back