Ken Ibold's Editor's Log

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
Ken’s commentary in this months Sport Aviation (Editor’s Log) is outstanding. He captured the essence of the Gaston’s gathering (and other fly-ins) at a level and depth that shows an enviable insight on his part. His gift and talent for writing is quite evident in this article. :)

Diana said:
Ken’s commentary in this months Sport Aviation (Editor’s Log) is outstanding. He captured the essence of the Gaston’s gathering (and other fly-ins) at a level and depth that shows an enviable insight on his part. His gift and talent for writing is quite evident in this article. :)

I was going to mention that. Great writing, Ken!

Did you really have 50 planes at Gastons? I really shouldda been there.

Being an old time computer nerd, I'm used to meeting people in the flesh that you've only met online. 20mumble years ago another guy and I drove out to Baltimore to meet a gang from the chat rooms on Compuserve.

Bruce and I have said we've never met a pilot we didn't like. (OK. There are few I didn't want to meet. :rolleyes: ) All pilots have to be goal oriented and self-motivating. If nothing else we have that much in common.

And I'm ashamed to say haven't I opened up Sport Aviation for a while because it didn't' seem to have much in it for me. I see now that Ken's on board it's MARKEDLY better and has a lot more that does pertain to recreational flying vs. home building.

I suppose we can guess that EAA still gets the complaints from legacy members and home builders that they lost the focus. We can guess that's why they hired a talented editor to get the balance right. Ken has gotten it right.

Great job , Ken!

:cheers:

Last edited:
For those not subscribed, is there any way we can view his article?

Diana said:
Aww, you guys are so NICE! Thank you.

Just to clarify, there were about 50 pilots there. The number of airplanes was, as I recall, about 35. I think Diana has some numbers, if that's what you want.

For non-EAA members, the attached file ...

Ken Ibold said:

Just to clarify, there were about 50 pilots there. The number of airplanes was, as I recall, about 35. I think Diana has some numbers, if that's what you want.

It only looked like more planes, because Diana's was going in and out all the time.

:)

Toby said:
It only looked like more planes, because Diana's was going in and out all the time.

:)

LOL! Giving rides and begging rides does keep a girl busy. The Citablueberria can't wait till next year. :)

BTW, Ken, are you still wanting input from people who were there for a future article?

Diana said:
BTW, Ken, are you still wanting input from people who were there for a future article?
Sure am. And maybe even some from people who wanted to go but couldn't -- and now regret it.

And maybe from people like Anthony who are sick of hearing about it!

Ken, I'm an EAA member and had to read your log twice it was so good. As Diana said, you really captured Gastons. You're a real wordsmith, and I don't see that so often in the aviation press.

Ken Ibold said:
Sure am. And maybe even some from people who wanted to go but couldn't -- and now regret it.
I couldn't go, and I don't regret it... I was at home passing my PP-ASEL while you were all out partying! However next year I hope to be there!

Outstanding, Ken. I always love your writing.

Ken Ibold said:

Ken, we would be very fortunate to have you attend the EAA/VAA flyin at McMinvill Or. in Aug. Come see the Spruce goose, and a lot of vintage aircraft. for the Fri-Sun (19-20-21)

BUT the best thing you do is place a positive twist on GA.

Thank You.

Bill Jennings said:
That was a wonderful piece. Really.

Amen. Of course the mention of a Porterfield almost always bumps my personal rating of any published text a bit.:D

Awesome writing Ken!!

Ken Ibold said:

Very excellent article Ken. You captured the essence of what it's really about. Thanks for attaching the article.

That's definitely a well deserved reputation point if I ever saw one on this board...

...must get to Gastons one of these days...

fgcason said:
Very excellent article Ken. You captured the essence of what it's really about. Thanks for attaching the article.

That's definitely a well deserved reputation point if I ever saw one on this board...

...must get to Gastons one of these days...
Nicely written.

He's a good editor, too, all....

OK, I enjoyed it enough that I got the same sorta misty-eyed feeling that involuntarily occurs when I hear the first few bars of that music Chip laid down on the Gaston's video.

Admit it, you know what I mean!

Ken, you have captured the same sort of feeling my favorite dearly-departed pilot/writer from the greater Kountze-Silsbee area used to convey. How many of Bax's LA-LA (Life At Little Airports) stories have this sort of feel?

When you can put the folks who were there, back there again; and those who weren't there, there, in their minds' eyes, you have done something pretty cool.

And you did.

Ya done good.

Ken Ibold said:

OK, I started writing something a few weeks ago and realized that I was trying to write your article for you, so I tore it up. What was the question again?

Ken Ibold said:
And maybe from people like Anthony who are sick of hearing about it!
Somebody, please stick a picture of Anthony's airplane in with our pictures! ;)

Back