Keeping cool in a trainer

greddawn

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
gred
So if you are like me, the air vents on your plane aren't the most efficient at keeping you cool during the summer. Down here in Texas, doors open are about the only way we can survive during taxi. How do you guys stay cool on the ground? I am not concerned for myself as much as my mother, who doesn't do well in that type of heat. I saw a portable AC from sportys, but that's a bit steep for a cooler and a fan. Any suggestions?

Edit - Mod's this was supposed to go into flight following...sorry about that.

Ice vest??

ice-vest.jpg

Any suggestions?
As a fellow Texan - be careful, but be quick and efficient in your ground ops. Lots of people don't take the effort to get to know their checklist well and understand what they are looking for and then be able to do it quickly. Your engine will also likely be happier if you don't sit on the ground for a long time.

Ryan

The ice-chest a/c units are highly functional and very efficient. Plans abound on the internet, so you can roll-your-own for a fraction of the cost, or buy one on ebay or other auction and sales sites at a greatly reduced price. The key is to precool the cabin and leave the shades in place until you're ready to start. Passengers can remain very comfortable throughout.

So if you are like me, the air vents on your plane aren't the most efficient at keeping you cool during the summer. Down here in Texas, doors open are about the only way we can survive during taxi. How do you guys stay cool on the ground? I am not concerned for myself as much as my mother, who doesn't do well in that type of heat. I saw a portable AC from sportys, but that's a bit steep for a cooler and a fan. Any suggestions?

Edit - Mod's this was supposed to go into flight following...sorry about that.

Have you considered having air conditioning installed in your training aircraft?

Fly a 172 and take the screw out of the window. If you don't have that option, fly high. I haven't tried the ice vests, hope they dont leak!

Pick up one of the battery powered camping fans, usually $10-15, use a couple C batteries. Another option is one of the cooling neck wraps - soak in cold water, tie around the neck. Really helps, casts about $3-5.

awesome tips. I am a DIY kind of person, so I might try and build one of these portable coolers

Have you considered having air conditioning installed in your training aircraft?

Yes, my partner and I decided against it due to decreasing useful load and restricted budget. We were looking for an alternative that was effective and economical. Something portable would also be neat, as he is a CFI and teaches out of several planes.

I think I've got a design picked out that I like, here I come Saturday project.

I recently lost my hat, but it was a thin weave material that was somewhat absorbent. I would soak in in ice water and wring it out and put it on. It felt great for 10 minutes or so. Just enough time (with a little luck) to get airborne. Or a passenger could do the soaking and wringing out in a little ice chest with ice water in it. Very cheap and effective. I have even soaked t-shirts in ice water and put them on. Instant air conditioning. But my wife refuses to go there herself.

Despite the otherwise dated trainer, one feature that it does sport is leather seats, so unless we laid down plastic, the wet towel method is out. We used to do that in the old 152 though, and wrap ice packs with towels.

I use my camelbak and load it up with ice and then water. Last all day here in florida, back stays cold and ice water all day.

I built a portable ice chest air conditioner for my Cherokee and love it. It is made so that it does not add a load of moisture in the aircraft which is bad for electronics. It is easy to build and I created a web site to show others how to build it. Take a look you may find it helpful. Just copy and past the link below or search for N8749N.

mysite.verizon.net/vzes8y13/n8749n/

Last edited:
Wet bandana around neck works wonders.

If the heat doesn't bother you too much, do all the preflight before passengers load, then shut off the engine, load them and then bug out.

Leave the window open if your POH allows. Noisy as hell, but you won't be hot. ;)

Leave the window open if your POH allows. Noisy as hell, but you won't be hot. ;)

I'd open the window but that's pretty much a one time thing...open door until run-up or while taxiing in is a good thing.

Last edited:
CoolwellG2 Air Conditioning Units

I manufacture/wholesale golf car accessories, and one of our products is the CoolwellG2 air conditioning unit. Although I've sold these units primarily for use on golf cars, I do know there are very effective when used in small aircraft. When deployed, what you want to do is have the hose from which the cool air is expelled directed at your neck. Why? Because the human anatomy is such that the skin on our necks is 5-6 times more sensitive to changes in temperature than the skin on other parts of our bodies. If this were not a fact, the market for scarves and turtlenecks during the winter would not exist.

If anyone is interested, I can supply either new or reconditioned CoolwellG2 air conditioning units.

Thanks for the info. What is the amperage draw on these? I want to make sure my electrical is adequate. i have a 2.7 amp system designed and tested that can easily run on the aipcraft's 5A short-burn fuse all day, but was curious where yours came in. I am concerned I don't have enough CFM with my fan choice. I am configuring the system with a 103 CFM non-restricted return fan, and dual 103 CFM supply fans. 206 CFM equivalent supply airflow is pretty low to cool the space, but would provide directed relief to exposed skin as you described in your post.

CoolwellG2 Air Conditioning Units

I manufacture/wholesale golf car accessories, and one of our products is the CoolwellG2 air conditioning unit. Although I've sold these units primarily for use on golf cars, I do know there are very effective when used in small aircraft. When deployed, what you want to do is have the hose from which the cool air is expelled directed at your neck. Why? Because the human anatomy is such that the skin on our necks is 5-6 times more sensitive to changes in temperature than the skin on other parts of our bodies. If this were not a fact, the market for scarves and turtlenecks during the winter would not exist.

If anyone is interested, I can supply either new or reconditioned CoolwellG2 air conditioning units.

The CoolwellG2 air conditioning unit draws less than 1 amp.

Back