Keeping a non-hangared plane looking good/safe?

N2124v

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
N2124V
Looks like I am going to finally get a plane. Funds are coming together, I've got a couple picked out to move forward on, and the wife is on board. Now the problem. There are no hangars available any where near me! So I've accepted the fact that it will have to live outside until a hangar becomes available. What are some tricks, must do's to keep the plane looking good while it suffers this indignity? Btw, it will be a mooney M20E/F.

Plug every hole in it too. Cowl plugs, gas exhaust vents, pitot tube, etc.
Don't want critters mucking things up.

A canopy cover will protect your avionics from frying. It will pay for itself in one year. Cowl plugs, pitot cover, etc. Is also a good idea. If it's windy, consider how you will deal with gust-locking. Finally, build your own tie-down ropes. Mine had strong metal shackle disconnects--I could take them with me -- and I learned how to tie a tautline truckers hitch.

Congrats on the new wings!

Get a hangar as soon as possible, keep a cover on the cockpit of a light color to reflect the heat and wax the plane. The longer it sits out side, the quicker it goes down hill. As was said, plug every conceivable place a bird or animal can enter. I always had a hangar rented prior to buying a plane.

I have a hanger and I keep my plane looking real nice. It spent 3 weeks outside at a shop and looked like crap when I picked it up. Cover it up as best you can. See if anyone with a private hanger has any room they would rent you while you wait. I feel bad for the airplanes that sit outside.

Use full covers,and wax the aircraft often.

I was in the same boat. I travel farther than my closest airport, but I'm in a community hanger vs in the baking souther sun. Hail, thunderstorms, critters....no thanks.

I just got a flyer From Bruce's Aircraft Covers. They make a full airplane cover. If the bird is a gem, might consider the full cover till covered parking comes avail. Plugs are a must as well. Behind the prop makes a great place for mud dobbers and bird nests.

Back