Keep Century 1 Auto Pilot as TC?

Indiana_Pilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Flying "B"
I am having a GFC500 auto pilot installed next week and was wondering if I could keep the Century 1 Auto Pilot/Turn coordinator control head in the TC place as my TC?

I cannot find a used TC and the new ones are well over 1k. I am going to ask the shop doing the install but want to know my options. I guess 12k on the GFC500.. what is another thousand? lol

Don’t know the answer to your question, but make sure you do the pitch trim servo. Just did my test flight and my jaw is hurting from the constant grin. Pirep coming soon

Don’t know the answer to your question, but make sure you do the pitch trim servo. Just did my test flight and my jaw is hurting from the constant grin. Pirep coming soon
I wish I could do the trim servo but unfortunately it is not able to be installed on mine since it has the overhead trim... I will have to manually trim but I am still excited!

I wish I could do the trim servo but unfortunately it is not able to be installed on mine since it has the overhead trim... I will have to manually trim but I am still excited!

Over at garmin website under the compatible aircraft it says ... and overhead trim models. Not sure how that translates to you though. Location of trim shouldn’t matter, it’s a servo that will drive it, most likely sitting in the tail. Dunno

Over at garmin website under the compatible aircraft it says ... and overhead trim models. Not sure how that translates to you though. Location of trim shouldn’t matter, it’s a servo that will drive it, most likely sitting in the tail. Dunno

I’m guessing because it would be hard to place a servo above the headliner where the trim cables run to the tail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cannot find a used TC and the new ones are well over 1k. I am going to ask the shop doing the install but want to know my options. I guess 12k on the GFC500.. what is another thousand? lol

A used turn coordinator? I have one; it’s a Mid-Continent 1394T-100-7Z, 12-32 VDC. Used but looks new, motor/bearings are quiet. Removed from my RV-8 for a panel upgrade. If you’re interested, I could email pics. I could try to post here, but there’s a learning curve for me on that...

A used turn coordinator? I have one; it’s a Mid-Continent 1394T-100-7Z, 12-32 VDC. Used but looks new, motor/bearings are quiet. Removed from my RV-8 for a panel upgrade. If you’re interested, I could email pics. I could try to post here, but there’s a learning curve for me on that...

Yes! Give me a price on it! Or send me a private message

I’m guessing because it would be hard to place a servo above the headliner where the trim cables run to the tail.

The pitch trim servo is most likely supposed to be installed in the section of the fuselage aft of the baggage towards the tail. Lot's of space back there. ;)
The shop doing your installation should be able to research that and advise.

As for the original question, I don't see why the original TC can't remain in place. I have a Century I in my Husky and never use it, but I do use the TC.

Back