KCVG Bravo

darthnomster

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
FlyLikeAGirl'sHubs
This might be old news for those of you close to the Cincinnati area.

FlyLikeAGirl and I left the pattern for the first time in 2.5 years yesterday. We flew to KBAK/Columbus IN for lunch. What a difference a couple of years makes.

We talked to CVG Approach for FF on outbound and inbound legs to KHAO/Butler Co, and found that the rumors of CVG's new reality are absolutely true. We got really good attention from the controllers in CVG's airspace, were cleared through the Bravo both directions, and heard 90% GA traffic on freq the whole time.

We did a tour of the CVG ATCT/TRACON with our flying club last Friday, and they encouraged us to do approaches and ask for flight following, as they're down to 140 departures/day. 40 of which are late night DHL flights. During the 30 minutes we were in the tower last Friday, I think we only watched 3 airplanes moving on the ground.

While the commercial traveler in me regrets the loss of so many direct flights from CVG, the pilot loves this newfound friendliness toward GA.

Yeah, they should probably be "demoted" to a Class C with all of the hub flights going to MSP and DTW. Like the FAA is ever going to give up airspace though.

Funny how that works.

"What goes around comes around".

We should probably respond back with, "Center calling aircraft, unable."

I feel for the controllers. Their pay is determined based on the activity level of the airspace they work. No surprise they're begging for traffic.

No doubt they could downgrade airspace, but that requires some significant changes. In the mean time, it sounds like they're pretty open to giving out clearances, so it's all good...

I'm based under the CVG Bravo and it's an easy place to fly. Very helpful, pretty much always get what I want, etc. Truthfully I'd rather see them as a Charlie just because that would reduce my altitude restrictions for certain VFR arrivals/departures, etc. But they are certainly not to be feared.

They're probably wondering who that Twin Cessna flying in crap weather out of the tiny airport is.

It seems a couple of the old class b's could be demoted. Some of the airports just don't have the amount of traffic they did years ago.

This might be old news for those of you close to the Cincinnati area.

FlyLikeAGirl and I left the pattern for the first time in 2.5 years yesterday. We flew to KBAK/Columbus IN for lunch. What a difference a couple of years makes.

We talked to CVG Approach for FF on outbound and inbound legs to KHAO/Butler Co, and found that the rumors of CVG's new reality are absolutely true. We got really good attention from the controllers in CVG's airspace, were cleared through the Bravo both directions, and heard 90% GA traffic on freq the whole time.

We did a tour of the CVG ATCT/TRACON with our flying club last Friday, and they encouraged us to do approaches and ask for flight following, as they're down to 140 departures/day. 40 of which are late night DHL flights. During the 30 minutes we were in the tower last Friday, I think we only watched 3 airplanes moving on the ground.

While the commercial traveler in me regrets the loss of so many direct flights from CVG, the pilot loves this newfound friendliness toward GA.

Like the other poster said.. The FAA ain't gonna give back any airspace..:no:

Ps... I thought DHL bellied up ?:dunno:

Like the other poster said.. The FAA ain't gonna give back any airspace..:no:

Ps... I thought DHL bellied up ?:dunno:

DHL domestic shipping is no more. But they do great volume in international shipments.

They discontinued operations in the US around 2009, I believe they did offer limited services through UPS, though I'm not sure if they do anymore.

I'm based under the CVG Bravo and it's an easy place to fly. Very helpful, pretty much always get what I want, etc. Truthfully I'd rather see them as a Charlie just because that would reduce my altitude restrictions for certain VFR arrivals/departures, etc. But they are certainly not to be feared.

They're probably wondering who that Twin Cessna flying in crap weather out of the tiny airport is.

Ted, that wasn't the case a decade ago. There is a reason that the first T routes in the country were established there... Mirroring the routes tha non-airline traffic would get.

And here I thought I was big timing getting into a Bravo VFR.

I have a friend who is a controller there who offered to take us on a tower tour. Unfortunately, he is transferring, and will be gone from there before I can make it up to take a tour. Kinda disappointed, I've landed there, but wanted to see the tower.

And here I thought I was big timing getting into a Bravo VFR.

I have a friend who is a controller there who offered to take us on a tower tour. Unfortunately, he is transferring, and will be gone from there before I can make it up to take a tour. Kinda disappointed, I've landed there, but wanted to see the tower.

Don't let that discourage you.... I "think" most towers will allow a visit from any pilot...:dunno::yes:

I am 65 nm E of CVG airspace and have been flying through it regularly since PPC in 2008. I did my flight training under the shelf. Only once since 2008 have I been told to remain clear. DTW is another story, I wish they would take some pointers from Miami/Orlando, Fl; Atlanta, Ga and Covington, Ky ATC's.

The people who really don't want to give up the Bravo airspace is the City in Cincinnati. They want it as a marketing tool to get some new business for CVG.

Some additional news.

FlyLikeaGirl and I went to an FAAST event last night at KLUK. One of the speakers was a representative from the CVG TRACON/Tower Management. He said CVG is definitely losing its Bravo, and he wouldn't be surprised if it happened before the end of this year.

He also said that BWI and PIT are being evaluated as well. Apparently CVG, PIT and BWI are all well below the number of ops that justify a Bravo and aren't expected to recover those numbers.

Hmmm... BWI has far more traffic than PIT or CVG. But I wouldn't be surprised at PIT or CVG losing it.

Houston and St. Louis are pretty slow too.

I don't know if its coincidental or not but every time I fly over KCVG, the airport looks dead to me. But it might be just me.

MEM is also dead for the most part of the day. I think the only thing keeping them a Bravo is FedEx. Memphis has been dehub or being dehub by Delta as we speak.

FWIW, you the people do have a right to petition your government for the redress of grievances. Included in that is requesting that a burdensome regulation be lifted. If you write or email your representatives, they will certainly forward that to the appropriate people and you will receive a response.

The airspace class has little to do with the facility rating (and therefore, pay). It may be viewed as the initial 'writing on the wall' to a downgrade, but the rulemaking for airspace changes is actually quite easy. Especially when moving towards less burdensome.

Don't let that discourage you.... I "think" most towers will allow a visit from any pilot...:dunno::yes:

Used to be if you could find the entrance to the facility, you could ring the bell and more often than not they'd let you in. I've hit control towers at BJC, APA, HEF (actually it was the same physical tower at HEF and APA), IAD, and DCA. With this. The IAD and DCA tours included both the cab and the radar room when it in the same building (not anymore).

Now in the post-911 world you have to call first, but I've been to PCT, ZDC, and the new IAD tower by arranging in advance.

Back