KCRQ Ground Loop Today

Wonder if the fact that it was s revenue flight made them take longer to clear/reopen the airport?

It's possible, but they were working on it within an hour. For some reason they were just working very slowly, as usual.

If it's the second accident in a short time as reported,including a nose over, they'd better find a new pilot. The current pilot is obviously lousy. It appears that it might have a collapsed gear and a damaged wing. It's not a cheap fix. It also must be moved carefully which takes time to not damage it further unless the person complaining is going to pay to fix it. The Stearman wings , for instance, are pretty complicated if you've seen one with the fabric removed.

Last edited:
When doing wheel landings, I found I got in the habit of rolling one wheel on first - usually the right - even with no crosswind. Especially in my spring-geared Citabrias, I found it made bouncing less likely.

Possibly a bad habit, and unnecessary, but it worked for me.

As an aside, the Scott 3200 tailwheel is a pretty robust unit. There was, however, one u-shaped spring that tended to break with some regularity. When it did, it would not engage on one side or the other. Part #22 below:

3400-diagram.jpg

Not to mention it was a dirty, greasy job to replace it!

Part #9 has two notches in it to receive that spring. #9 is driven by the rudder connection and #22 drives the tailwheel fork. The notches in #9 get worn and #22 pops out when it shouldn't.

Getting #3 off #12 to replace #'s 10, 11 and 22 can be a real pain. These wheels aren't terribly friendly to work with.

McCauley made a similar tailwheel for the 185 that had the locking feature (locks straight ahead for takeoff and landing). A new one costs $13,000 now.

Last edited:
Stearmans were not used on carriers. The T6 was used to carrier qualify in those days. One progressed from the Stearman tonthe T6.

If it's the second accident in a short time as reported,including a nose over, they'd better find a new pilot. The current pilot is obviously lousy. It appears that it might have a collapsed gear and a damaged wing.
They also might want to seriously consider changing the wheels like the folks at MYF have done with theirs if they intend to keep doing rides out if CRQ. Those pie plate wheels are unforgiving of any side load on pavement.

Stearmans were not used on carriers. The T6 was used to carrier qualify in those days. One progressed from the Stearman tonthe T6.

No, they weren't, but that is why Navy Stearmans had locking vs steering t/w. All the carrier based planes they were going to be flying had locking t/w. Why start with something they weren't going to see in the fleet was the point I feebly attempted to make.

Jim R
Collierville, TN

N7155H--1946 Piper J-3 Cub
N3368K--1946 Globe GC-1B Swift
N4WJ--1994 Van's RV-4

If it's the second accident in a short time as reported,including a nose over, they'd better find a new pilot. The current pilot is obviously lousy. It appears that it might have a collapsed gear and a damaged wing. It's not a cheap fix. .

Word around the airport is that both accidents had different pilots. The right side gear definitely collapsed. Unfortunately though there were probably 20 people on the ramp nearby (including myself) everyone I talked to was looking the other way so we're not sure if the gear collapse caused the ground loop or the other way around. There's some speculation that some undiscovered damage from the last incident may have had a role here, but that's just gossip around the pilot lounge.

I flew a N3N with the 30x5 skinny wheels and the crummy Lockheed brakes. I flew it for 15 years and was saved several times by the tailwheel lock. I fly another N3N now with the BT wheels and brakes and it is rock solid on the ground with plenty of brake. Old airplanes have their quirks but that's what makes them so fun to fly. Don

Old airplanes have their quirks but that's what makes them so fun to fly. Don
I completely agree, but think if you are going to use an airplane like that for a ride business operating several flights a day off a single runway airport like CRQ, you'd be much better off with the smaller/sturdier wheels.

Back