KCLT area $100 hamburgers?

ebykowsky

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
goalstop
Anyone have ideas for a fun CLT area on-airport eatery? Obviously not at KCLT, but nearby airports. Preferably something in and around the Bravo for extra fun.

Anyone have ideas for a fun CLT area on-airport eatery? Obviously not at KCLT, but nearby airports. Preferably something in and around the Bravo for extra fun.

It's 75nm away, but 5NC3 is an awesome place for on-field BBQ at Pik-n-Pig. Private field but all welcome.

JQF, nothin on field but Concord Mills is a short drive away in a crew car.

I'd be departing from KFDW with a couple of friends, looking for a super-short cross country to the CLT area, so generally speaking, anything much farther than immediate CLT area won't do. Still good suggestions though Brad!

Ditto on the Pik n Pig ... not open mondays if I recall. I often get the BBQ Sundae not on the menu. Stantons isn't bad, but I think the Pik n Pig is better (food wise).

Hickory has a little deli in the terminal.
Martinville has a restaurant thats periodically out of business.

JQF is getting pretty darn costly to operate into these days.
RUQ has cheap fuel and a crew car.

5NC3 closes at 3PM on Sundays

Cash only but they have an ATM

I'd be departing from KFDW with a couple of friends, looking for a super-short cross country to the CLT area, so generally speaking, anything much farther than immediate CLT area won't do. Still good suggestions though Brad!

Hmmm. Looks like your best bet will be a crew car and something hopefully better than Micky D's.

It's farther away from JQF than Concord Mills, but my BIL runs the Varsity BBQ on Concord Blvd in Kannapolis - 'bout 10 miles from the airport. Would be worth the drive in the crew car. Good BBQ and fresh seafood - not to mention great baked goods.

I'd say JQF is your best bet. They do have a crew car but probably good to call ahead (and get fuel or something). Make it a hamburger and shopping trip.

I've gone there to shop at the Bass Pro Shop but all of the Concord Mills shopping complex is there - all less than 1-2 miles from JQF. There are half a dozen different restaurants there both in the 'mall' and around the perimeter. Probably more than a half dozen now that I think about it.

Otherwise I try to avoid JQF because there's so much there. There can be so much traffic it can take 10 minutes to go the 1-2 miles to get on the interstate. But that makes it a good 'hamburger' type stop.

Off topic/BTW - there is a great little, relatively unknown hamburger stop at KRDU. Park at either FBO, go in and ask them where Crosswinds Cafe is. (Whatever their ramp fee and parking policy is, using the FBO/GA ramp to go to Crosswinds seems to exempt one from any charges.) Walk over to the GA 'Terminal' next door and go upstairs. There you have a large glassed in, very clean and nicely appointed viewing deck with a balcony overlooking the GA ramp and runway 23L/5R. The small cafe has hot and cold food and you can sit overlooking the ramp/runway. Check for hours of operation. I go there for lunch occasionally just to enjoy the ramp view.

I'd say JQF is your best bet. They do have a crew car but probably good to call ahead (and get fuel or something). Make it a hamburger and shopping trip.

I've gone there to shop at the Bass Pro Shop but all of the Concord Mills shopping complex is there - all less than 1-2 miles from JQF. There are half a dozen different restaurants there both in the 'mall' and around the perimeter. Probably more than a half dozen now that I think about it.

Otherwise I try to avoid JQF because there's so much there. There can be so much traffic it can take 10 minutes to go the 1-2 miles to get on the interstate. But that makes it a good 'hamburger' type stop.

Off topic/BTW - there is a great little, relatively unknown hamburger stop at KRDU. Park at either FBO, go in and ask them where Crosswinds Cafe is. (Whatever their ramp fee and parking policy is, using the FBO/GA ramp to go to Crosswinds seems to exempt one from any charges.) Walk over to the GA 'Terminal' next door and go upstairs. There you have a large glassed in, very clean and nicely appointed viewing deck with a balcony overlooking the GA ramp and runway 23L/5R. The small cafe has hot and cold food and you can sit overlooking the ramp/runway. Check for hours of operation. I go there for lunch occasionally just to enjoy the ramp view.

Hmm, like what you're saying, but Bass Pro Shops would turn a $100 hamburger into a $500 hamburger. :eek:

JQF assesses a fee whether you buy a fuel or not. Not a particularly friendly place for random visits. They act like it was KCLT or something.

5NC3 is a fun place to drop into. If you are looking for BBQ a little closer to CLT, how about Lexington (KEXX). No fees at all and a couple of crew cars. Plenty of BBQ pits within 10 minutes of the field. Was there just last week actually, solely for some BBQ :)

Last edited:
JQF assesses a fee whether you buy a fuel or not. Not a particularly friendly place for random visits. They act like it was KCLT or something.

I've never been assessed a fee at JQF. My son lives about three miles away so we do weekends there. Last trip, in October during NASCAR weekend, I paid $30 per night for a hangar and less than $6 a gallon for fuel.

I've never been assessed a fee at JQF. My son lives about three miles away so we do weekends there. Last trip, in October during NASCAR weekend, I paid $30 per night for a hangar and less than $6 a gallon for fuel.

I've never had Wilson at CLT charge me...

I didn't get charged on that visit but that doesn't mean anything. I would not have minded.

I do expect to get the airport landing fee invoice in the mail though I haven't seen it yet. Think it was $5 last time I saw it but I just trash mailings. The FBO is not particularly friendly which just means poor management to me. No problems, just nothing great to note.

On the other hand, Wilson at KCLT is our current favorite in the Charlotte or anywhere else. They are on top of their game right now. You feel it whether it's an SEL or Jet (I assume). When we go to Charlotte, we go to Wilson.

What's the landing fee at KCLT?

There is not one to my knowledge...if you want to be sure...

Call Wilson...704-359-0440

I didn't get charged on that visit but that doesn't mean anything. I would not have minded.

I do expect to get the airport landing fee invoice in the mail though I haven't seen it yet. Think it was $5 last time I saw it but I just trash mailings. The FBO is not particularly friendly which just means poor management to me. No problems, just nothing great to note.

On the other hand, Wilson at KCLT is our current favorite in the Charlotte or anywhere else. They are on top of their game right now. You feel it whether it's an SEL or Jet (I assume). When we go to Charlotte, we go to Wilson.

The City runs the FBO and has started charging a landing fee @ JQF...

I go the CLT. Love the Class B rush...love Wilson and it is closer to Downtown...I could care less about shopping...

Zero for me. Yep, call Wilson.

Wilson charges a facility charge which is waived for fuel. Overnight is $12 or $15.

One time last year, I told them I was departing on Sunday. There was some freezing rain overnight so they put me in a hangar to enable the departure . Independently, I decided to stay over until Monday since I knew there was freezing rain. But I didn't tell them. When I showed up, there was a hangar fee. I explained the situation, the fee was removed. We exchanged apologies before flying home. Only my apology was legit. Thanks Wilson!

WOW! No landing fee at a Class B?!?! I think my decision has been made. Is there anything good to do on-field there/places to eat? Not looking for too much. Just a good bite to catch up with old friends.

WOW! No landing fee at a Class B?!?! I think my decision has been made. Is there anything good to do on-field there/places to eat? Not looking for too much. Just a good bite to catch up with old friends.
No restaurant that I remember near Wilson, but if you can get a crew car, there are plenty of restaurants nearby. I had a very good experience with Wilson recently myself.

Nothing at Wilson without wheels. But what I would do (if I didn't have too much of an audience) is simply pick a nearby restaurant/destination, fly-in, and ask them if they can help get me there. The baggage guys can be good at making that happen. They have a shuttle bus for local destinations, loaner cars, and/or any brand rental.

The right thing to do would be to call them, tell them you want to take 2-3-4 to x-restaurant and ask them if they can help. They really are on top of their game.

It's changed in the last two months or so.

if you do go to JQF I could recommend a few local places to eat, maybe pick y'all up if the timing is right.

if you do go to JQF I could recommend a few local places to eat, maybe pick y'all up if the timing is right.

Thanks for the offer; right now KCLT makes me excited because I've never landed at a class Bravo due to the fees, but since it looks like there's not much around there I may decide on another nearby airport and just do a T&G at KCLT. BTW, you ever get that checkride done?

Thanks for the offer; right now KCLT makes me excited because I've never landed at a class Bravo due to the fees, but since it looks like there's not much around there I may decide on another nearby airport and just do a T&G at KCLT. BTW, you ever get that checkride done?

not yet, I'd say within about 3 weeks or so.

5NC3 is a fun place to drop into. If you are looking for BBQ a little closer to CLT, how about Lexington (KEXX). No fees at all and a couple of crew cars. Plenty of BBQ pits within 10 minutes of the field. Was there just last week actually, solely for some BBQ :)

I suggest EXX as well. They have a crew car. Drive to Lexington Barbecue and chow down. Its less than 10 minutes from the airport.

I suggest EXX as well. They have a crew car. Drive to Lexington Barbecue and chow down. Its less than 10 minutes from the airport.

Lexington Barbecue is probably the best all around but there are other good ones in town. My favorite is Lexington Style Trimmings (which has THE BEST dip of all of them and also a neat bbq chicken salad). Smiley's has good sandwiches (ask for the skin to be chopped in).

Lexington Barbecue is probably the best all around but there are other good ones in town. My favorite is Lexington Style Trimmings (which has THE BEST dip of all of them and also a neat bbq chicken salad). Smiley's has good sandwiches (ask for the skin to be chopped in).

Haven't been there in a long time. Speedy's was always my favorite.

Back